Author Topic: Found Poster  (Read 294 times)

Offline jamesw146

• Beginner
Found Poster
« on: March 08, 2024, 05:55:38 PM »
Hi
I am new to this form, not a poster collector, pretty do not know anything about posters
I the early "90" while cleaning out my Grandfathers farm house, can across a poster. It was rolled up, I put in a mailing tube and forgot about it
Can across it the other day and I was wondering who it was, maybe what year it was made and is it worth anything.  I was told by someone at the time it was Norma Jean Baker, but I can not tell  It's about 18" by 5'
any information is appreciated
Thanks
W James

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Found Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 02:44:21 PM »
 welcome1 James,

Nice one.  Looks like Marilyn Monroe.  Also looks like it's in decent condition for its age.  The lower area, and maybe other areas appear to have some foxing - browning of the paper due to the acidity of it and sometimes from humidity/storage issues.  That could be stabilized with a little conservation, and if one wanted to make it appear like new with restoration.

Another one on eBay states it's from 1953, and they have it listed at $1,500. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303533122784

It's cool that it was your grandfather's.  The printing quality looks good and I'm sure that not too many of them are still around after all those years.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 10:52:26 PM »
Emovieposter has it listed as a commercial MM red style.  Should be 22x62 so yours may be trimmed.

Based on past sales, in this condition your copy I gather is worth about 100 -150.  Cool poster.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 11:30:27 PM »
Good call, Vick.  I quickly searched and found the one on eBay. 

The last sale at eMovie was about a year ago for $377.  It had some issues and was linen backed.  That's right in the middle of what the 3 there sold for.  Maybe James' poster without being linen backed is worth about that much.  I think linen backing from a good company would be good to neutralize the acidity, etc.

The one on eBay has 23 watchers, and considering the bidding at eMovie, who knows what it will sell for with Buy it Now/ or best offer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 01:39:09 AM by Neo »

Offline jamesw146

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 03:34:29 PM »
Thank you, thank, you, thank you
As a novice to the poster world, I really do appreciate the information about this poster.  I really wanted to know if this was something that is rare and should be restored or there was so many of them out there I should use it to start a fire in the wood stove, you guys answered that
Being somewhat of a wood butcher, will probably make my own frame, but I will have it restored and mounted
I'm am in the process of restoring a 1949 Willy's pickup truck, that my grandfather bought new  ( I like antique cars, trucks, and motorcycles) and because this is not something that is worth nothing, it will look good with the truck.
Linen backed is good?
I am outside of Atlantic City, NJ but willing to go to Philadelphia for a good restoration shop.  Could you recommend a good restoration shop in my area?
Again thanks for your attention
W

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 04:55:27 PM »
No problem, James.  It's a great poster and even cooler with the family history.  That's awesome that you also have your granddad's classic Willy's truck from the same era and you're restoring it.

The only company close to your area that I would highly recommend is Poster Conservation in Stamford, CT.  They do excellent work at a reasonable price.  There are restoration companies in NYC, at least one of which many folks would highly recommend you to avoid.  If you don't want to drive to CT, you could send it to Poster Conservation, if you can get a strong tube, and ideally some kraft paper to roll it in to protect the edges.  They may be able to send you a package for you to ship it to them in if you ask them.

It would be great to see some photos of how it turns out after conservation and framing.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 01:52:20 AM »
Hi James,

Cool Marilyn Monroe poster to find in your grandpa's farmhouse!  I think the restoration and linen backing may cost you more than the poster may be worth overall.  If you are good at building a frame, use archival foamcore as the frame backing, and get a piece of plexiglass/acrylic or similar cut for the front, you may like that just fine, too.  Okie