Author Topic: eMoviePoster.com is about to standardize what "rare" and "ultra rare" means!  (Read 337 times)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Did you know that eMoviePoster.com is about to standardize what "rare" and "ultra rare" means in our auction headings, the ONLY auction to do so?

Everyone who follows our auctions knows that we make a giant effort to tell you how many times we have auctioned rare items in the past, so that bidders have a quick and easy way to see this information WITHOUT having to look that information up for themselves in our Auction History at https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html

For quite some time we have been noting within auction listings for rare items whether we EVER auctioned that item before, and if we have, how many times we did that. BUT NOW, WE WILL ALSO GIVE YOU A "HEADS UP" ON THESE ITEMS IN THE AUCTION TITLE, using a simple formula.

What is this formula? If we never auctioned the item before, or only only auctioned the item once before, we will put "ultra rare" in its auction title. If we auctioned the item exactly two or three times before, we  will put "rare" in its auction title. And if we auctioned four or more examples in the past, we will NEVER put "rare" or "ultra rare" in its auction title (even if we last auctioned it 20 or 30 years ago)!

This will help bidders who like rare items a lot, because it means that soon you will be able to (with one click) view a gallery of solely items we have never auctioned before (or only once before) by going to https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/searchfield/title/search/ultra%2520rare/all.html

And you soon will be able to (with one click) view a gallery of solely items we have auctioned only two or three times before by going to https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/searchfield/title/search/rare/all.html

Why do I say "soon"? Because we have many current auctions that were prepared before I firmly implemented this change there are a few auctions were they say "rare" or "ultra rare" that don't follow the above guidelines (and there will be just a few more in next month's auctions) and then ALL auctions will follow the above guidelines.

Here is an example of one that was prepared before: https://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=6697554. The title says "ultra rare" because it is a poster from 1968 that we have only once auctioned in the last nine years, and that IS very unusual, and does show it is quite hard to find.

But starting soon, you will never see "ultra rare" on the title of ANY auction unless we have never auctioned it before (or only once before) and you will never see "rare" on the title of ANY auction unless we have only auctioned it two or three times before. We invite ALL other auctioneers (and dealers) to adopt this same standard, because it will be a great help to all bidders.

And you surely have noticed we NEVER put "there are only two examples of this poster known to exist" or similar statements. We almost always solely refer to how many times WE have auctioned an item before (because that we can be sure of). A VERY few times we have referred to how many we believe are known to exist, and that is an important distinction, because who could possibly claim to know that they KNOW how many of ANY item there are in existence?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:24:08 AM by BruceH »
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Rare is a difficult term to define and I think this is a great way to describe your auctions.  As you said, no one knows the exact quantity of the vast majority of this stuff.  For all the years that the Internet was not used or even existed, folks were trading everything in person and print ads, and who knows how much of that was never documented on the internet.  Online sales are not always easy to find, either.  It'll be good to know about some of the very rare stuff having appeared at your place, just by the item's title.  I'll add ultra rare and rare to my want list/ saved searches.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:43:52 PM by Neo »

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
1st print Bruce Lee "Big Boss" & "Fist of Fury" german ad sheets , only saw them once in 25 yrs (in my collection)

Got some BB posters sgd by composer, those also very very scarce

1st print HK 60s/70s/89s posters , heavily bootlegged.....most were machine folded

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder

Ive collected now 25 yrs and bought this......amazing , only time Ive seen this "Way of Dragon" poster

(printed on thick card stock , alt. angle/art.....wider than locandina - half sh)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:48:33 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »