Author Topic: Introducing moviepostercollectors.com  (Read 18524 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Introducing moviepostercollectors.com
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
If you want to give users something to look at besides a black background (not the central grey part), you could try to do something like: http://aintageek.com/  The background image centers itself and you see more or less of it depending on how wide your screen is.  You could try something like this for MPC but make sure you use a very small image otherwise it will be a pain to load every time.  Just an option... I have no idea how to code it.

I deliberately picked a dark theme.  Anything else would be visual overload.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
Harry, they are all excellent recommendations. They mostly all should be easy to do in iWeb. Stretching the page width, background image and bookmark link names may not be possible, but all other changes I would also strongly suggest doing. Currently the site looks great (except the huge logo), but usability looks to have been largely overlooked, however is fundamentally important. LAMP usability is rotten so I dont go back.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
Very well done site Mel.  I think it has exactly what it takes to help those new to the hobby and provide the information to get others interested in the hobby.  A site like that would have helped me when I was new I think.

Regarding the international one sheet section, I think the poster you have listed for Godfather is actually the UK one sheet (someone please correct me if I am wrong here).  It is a subtle distinction, and one that you may be aware of already; but, its the only one of its kind on the page.  If you did indeed include it in that category on purpose, then certainly the UK one sheets for The Wicker Man and The Deer Hunter belong there too.  Also, three additional worthy international one sheets for the section are Once Upon a Time in America, Das Boot, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  I feel like the three of these are all superior to their domestic counterparts.

And finally, a couple of suggestions for additional showcases (and you may be planning these already), are ones for advance/teaser and character posters.  Like internationals, they are often very different from the standard one sheet in terms of art.  Also, for one close to our hearts, a section for indie and art house posters.

Perhaps, to help you get all of this done, you could add a "contribute" page where interested parties could send you pictures of posters that they feel are deserving for an area of the site.  Of course, you would serve as the final judge as to whether the image is added or not.  But, lets face it, there are lots of posters out there.  Even with the decent sized community of collectors here constantly scouring all corners of the internet and elsewhere, members still often come up with amazing posters that no one has ever seen.  I think contributions would be a logical step in the development and growth of the site (if in fact your intent is for it to continue growing).
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
Regarding the international one sheet section, I think the poster you have listed for Godfather is actually the UK one sheet (someone please correct me if I am wrong here).  

Perhaps, to help you get all of this done, you could add a "contribute" page where interested parties could send you pictures of posters that they feel are deserving for an area of the site.  

Yes, I was aware of the distinction but just labeled them "international" for simplicity.  I'll use a broader title for the category.

I'm happy to accept contributions but I really need "complete" contributions ex. here's a collection of the 50 best teaser sheets with high quality, large pics with proper filenames.  Sending 10 mediocre pics is well-intentioned but not really what I can use.  It takes quite a bit of work to do these showcases right.

Same thing with authentications.  I need a complete authentication similar in quality to the MPA authentications and my own.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
Mel, you are really doing a great job with this.  It is already so much clearer than Lamp, which has become completely dealer oriented and obsolete.  Your authentication site also rivals Dan Rickard's in depth (if not in quantity yet).  Really good, man. 

Now you need to get your hands on intl. posters, sizes and al.  I'll try to put something together on French posters for you, printers info, sizes, etc.

Very nice.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
I'll try to put something together on French posters for you, printers info, sizes, etc.

Good man!

You are such good boys  ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
I just thought of a new section for you Mel... packaging tips.  I would love to have a link with basic, step by step instructions on how to properly package posters.  And different links for different items would be great (folded, rolled, lots, etc...).  Does anyone here have a list of tips/photos they send to people already?  Maybe you could send it to Mel for inclusion on the website?

P.S. I know Dave has packaging tips online, but I'm afraid to send sellers there... I'm worried they'll see his prices and back out of the sale!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »
I just thought of a new section for you Mel... packaging tips.  I would love to have a link with basic, step by step instructions on how to properly package posters.  And different links for different items would be great (folded, rolled, lots, etc...).  Does anyone here have a list of tips/photos they send to people already?  Maybe you could send it to Mel for inclusion on the website?

P.S. I know Dave has packaging tips online, but I'm afraid to send sellers there... I'm worried they'll see his prices and back out of the sale!

Since you brought up the idea, you're the man for it, HC!

Looking forward to receiving your "signature ready" final!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
Lets see if anyone has something typed up first... 

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »

Go ahead and copy my info.. I don't care if I get credit or not. :-*

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »

We also did the Blade Runner insert, ESB insert, and Saving Private Ryan one sheet if you want to use those too. There are also a few others also spread out throughout my site, but most of them are on the Articles page.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/cinearticles.htm

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
Go ahead and copy my info.. I don't care if I get credit or not. :-*

Thanks!  (I'm sure I would have anyway if Mel made me do it)

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
Hey, I want to stay clear of any anti-dealer sentiment.  It's just capitalism, man.  Apple is happy to charge you $100 to upgrade your memory from 16GB to 32GB on an iPad. Cost to Apple $1.  McDonald's is happy to charge you $2 for a large Coke.  Cost to McD: $0.04. Nobody's raging about those ridiculous profit margins.

And Harry, as I recall, you're selling some Stout Star Wars posters for several times what you got them for, right?

I'll probably add a dealers listing with a link to any dealer who agrees to link to moviepostercollectors.com with the caveat that "listing does not imply endorsement."  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »
Now wait a minute Mel... I never once said anything bad about Dave.  I've consigned with him before and got ridiculously good results.  I would use him again and recommend him in a heart beat. He taps into a client base we can only dream of so I have no problems with his prices or profits.

That said, if I were to buy something like a Pulp Fiction dictionary advance poster from someone on eBay for $130... I don't want to send them to Dave's to get packaging tips only for them to see he's got one listed at $795.  That would be like me rubbing their nose in it...  I would simply prefer a non-dealer link for packaging tips.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »

If you do decide to do a dealer's page, here is a banner if you want to use one. As soon as its up just let me know and I'll add your site to our links page.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
Added Butch Cassidy Showcase.  This took two hours to put together - finding large quality images, repairing them, titling them, assembling them, etc.  It's a lot of work!  But the end result is the best Butch Cassidy poster showcase on the Internet by a country mile.

www.moviepostercollectors.com/Butch-Cassidy/index.html

Matt

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 12:33:49 AM »
I'm not 100% sure Mel but the red daybill could be the B version or rerelease. Anyway there is a light orange version same as the U.S. B style.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 04:23:04 AM »
Mel, you are really doing a great job with this.  It is already so much clearer than Lamp, which has become completely dealer oriented and obsolete.  Your authentication site also rivals Dan Rickard's in depth (if not in quantity yet).  Really good, man. 

Now you need to get your hands on intl. posters, sizes and al.  I'll try to put something together on French posters for you, printers info, sizes, etc.

Very nice.

T

I wouldn't go so far as to say that LAMP is completely dealer oriented and obsolete.  It's a bit thick to navigate, that's true.  But once you get through the navigation issues, it's a tremendous resource.  Mel's site is a testament to accessibility.  That's the great thing it has over LAMP.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

tstatum

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »
Yes the Red version is the 73 re-release.  The first release daybill is exactly the same as the one sheet. The orange Version I'm not sure about.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:08:52 AM by tstatum »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
I love this Panamanian too...

tstatum

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
I have never seen the panama version.  That version may be the best fit for the movie I've seen.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »
Well good news and bad news.

Good news: I've substantially reorganized and revamped www.moviepostercollectors.com and incorporated many of the suggested changes and requested posters so far. Check it out and give me any feedback.

Added the best Star Wars "English language" poster showcase on the internet.  Took me several hours to gather, correct, and organize these images.  You can see large size images of every major English language poster, including numerous rare posters.

To build awareness of the site, I'd appreciate it if you'd add a link to www.moviepostercollectors.com to your site.  I can probably add a reciprocal link.

Bad news: In the process of making changes, I somehow managed to permanently delete my "Do Not Erase" folder on my hosting site. (I think iWeb wiped it out.)  Unfortunately, that folder held hundreds of images I've posted on this forum, so they are all permanently gone and can no longer be seen on my prior postings on this or any other forum.  Should have backed that folder up. :(

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
Reorganized and improved the authentications page

What other websites are like moviegoods.com - only sell reprints, avoid calling the posters "reproductions" but call them "new" or "mint" instead?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:19 PM »
Reorganized and improved the showcase section of the site.

Added new modern comedy showcase and outstanding post-1980 poster showcases, but I'm not 100% happy with either at this point. Any suggestions for additional posters in those categories welcome.