Author Topic: October 2023  (Read 2425 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
October 2023
« on: October 12, 2023, 03:37:20 PM »
I haven’t bought in a long while. I figured since it’s Halloween soon and I don’t often come across this one very often. I got myself a treat..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: October 2023
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »
Yes!  Folded, great condition, the works!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 03:18:30 PM »
I just received this first release, uncut pressbook for Bride of Frankenstein, which has been on my want list for a long time.  It also comes with a separate herald.  The colors are simply amazing on this press book, which include reproductions (both in color and black & white) of many posters for the movie that sadly haven't survived.  I remember admiring a framed example of its front cover at the fantastic Frankenstein exhibition held at the Morgan Library in NYC back in 2018 to commemorate the 200 anniversary of its publication.  I haven't decided yet how I'm going to display this one, so for now I'm keeping it as is so that I can enjoy looking at it up close.   

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 04:10:33 PM »

Picked up a lobby card. Slowly building out the full set!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »
Nice acquisitions.

Sounds like that was a cool exhibit for the anniversary.  The Bride of Frankenstein sure had some beautiful artworks.  How many of the styles are known to exist?

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 07:44:35 PM »
I just received this first release, uncut pressbook for Bride of Frankenstein, which has been on my want list for a long time.  It also comes with a separate herald.  The colors are simply amazing on this press book, which include reproductions (both in color and black & white) of many posters for the movie that sadly haven't survived.  I remember admiring a framed example of its front cover at the fantastic Frankenstein exhibition held at the Morgan Library in NYC back in 2018 to commemorate the 200 anniversary of its publication.  I haven't decided yet how I'm going to display this one, so for now I'm keeping it as is so that I can enjoy looking at it up close.   

I see a great argument for this being the very best pressbook EVER. When you consider quality of the movie, quality of the images, amount of color, size, etc.a

And it usually sells well under the cost of the window card or insert, which makes no sense to me.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 09:22:47 PM »

Picked up a lobby card. Slowly building out the full set!

Awesome pickup for a CLASSIC film. That will be a fun set to build!

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 09:24:43 PM »

THAT IS INCREDIBLE, ANTOINE!! As Bruce said, best pressbook ever! Kudos, what a awesome pickup!

I am partial to how it was displayed in this Antiques Roadshow episode:
https://www.pbs.org/video/antiques-roadshow-appraisal-1935-bride-frankenstein-pressbook/

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 09:28:10 PM »
I still can't quite believe I stumbled on this beauty. All those classic 30's Stanwyck one sheets always seem so far out of reach, but the stars aligned and here she is :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 10:40:56 AM »
Perseverance always win.  Congrats Starling.  Great looking poster!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 02:11:29 PM »
Well done there, Starling.  Beautiful piece, with Ms. Stanwyck's style, and I guess Mr. Brent isn't too bad.  Nice frame work also.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:40:02 PM by Neo »

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 12:33:46 AM »
Wow, some really great pieces this month - congrats all!
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 09:02:24 AM »
Wowsers!! Antoine and Starling, nice scores :)  thumbsup.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 07:49:25 PM »
Wow, some really great pieces this month - congrats all!

I agree!  Fantastic stuff!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 07:45:01 AM »
Very nice pick ups, riley540, Starling and Antoine!

Nice work by Crowzilla and Neo in the Uni Monsters thread to share the known surviving Bride posters too. Very interesting. Wouldn't it be amazing if one of those 24 sheets surfaced one day! 

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 08:32:14 AM »
First a quick hello! it's so long since I posted on these forums I just wanted to say a quick hi! to all :)

Truth is it's been a long, long time since I've had anything to post as I've found it much harder to find much of interest the last couple of years.

Anyway, I finally picked up a new poster and decided to share, as usual for me it's another Thai poster, it's one I had been after so really pleased to find it, it's by the artist Jinda, hopefully some of you will like/appreciate it as much as I do.

Cheers! cheers

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 03:48:35 PM »
Nice alternate Savage Streets artwork.  cool1

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 05:18:53 PM »
Haven’t seen this one before. Had to have it.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 09:50:14 PM »
BigMike:  Nice to see you pulling in a cool Halloween poster

Antoine: I agree, that is the best pressbook, especially for Univeral Horror fans. Man, I kick myself for not buying it twice several years ago.  I wish I was smarter like you!

Starling: You stumbled onto that Baby Face poster!  i want to hear that story over drinks!  Beautiful.

Test1: Good to see you posting.  Are you poster hunting in Thailand?  Nice find.

Riley540: Good ole Kate Hepburn and from a great movie.  Thank you for posting.

Okie

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 03:08:13 AM »
Nice alternate Savage Streets artwork.  cool1

Thank you! thumbsup.gif  I'm certainly a big fan and instantly liked the poster when I first come across it a while back.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2023, 03:43:10 AM »

Test1: Good to see you posting.  Are you poster hunting in Thailand?  Nice find.

Okie

Hey! Okie, been a long time, hope you are well, yes when I can afford it and if something shows up of interest then Thai posters are still my main interest and yes some of my posters are straight from trusted collectors in Thailand I have known for a long time but I also know other collectors based elsewhere,

but, it has become even harder since the last time I was active on these forums to find good Thai posters, long time collectors/dealers often tell me the Thai poster market has all but dried up, I would not go quite that far myself as I personally feel it's still possible to find good stuff out there but you certainly do have to look harder and stay patient to find anything that's even slightly rare nowadays,

even Thai posters that when I got hold of them used to show up a lot just a few short years ago like for example the 1st Evil Dead film or Fast Times at Ridgemont High etc. have now all disappeared, most likely all already now in the hands of collectors.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »
I concur.  I enjoy Thai posters myself and will buy them whenever I see them, but it has become a challenge for sure.  Thankfully, I collect from all around the world so there is still stuff to purchase.  ;D

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
I concur.  I enjoy Thai posters myself and will buy them whenever I see them, but it has become a challenge for sure.  Thankfully, I collect from all around the world so there is still stuff to purchase.  ;D

T

Hi! T,

Yes a "challenge" is a good way to describe it and therefore makes it even more rewarding when you do come across a Thai poster of interest, from my personal experience most of the best sources to get hold of Thai posters are pure collectors of Thai posters themselves, naturally the trouble there of course is getting them to part with anything,

there are some collectors out there that were collecting Thai posters before it was even a thing and some of these collectors sometimes may have two of certain posters if you are lucky so they may part with one, but in general even if you offer silly money they won't let much go, and even if they do have a double of a certain poster usually they prefer to trade rather than sell,

but, there's no doubt compared to when I first started collecting Thai posters it's far harder now to find certain posters, speaking to a Thai collector recently I was pretty shocked that even a more modern poster from the early 90's like Tongdee's "The Silence of the Lambs" is now rare and expensive in Thailand, it's amazing how the Thai poster market has changed so much in just a few years, I'm just pleased I managed to pick up a few good pieces when I did, I always thought I was late to the party to begin with but it would truly be a nightmare starting out now.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 12:47:04 PM »
Here's another poster I also picked up this week, once again a Thai poster (of course ;)) something totally different to the previous poster I showed, I have not seen this film since I was in school, so a long time ago :-[ it was done by the Thai artist known as "Neet" possibly best known for doing the Thai Halloween poster, anyway I like this poster a lot more than I thought I would and it feels like a nice addition to the Thai collection as it's so different/unique compared to all the other Thai posters I own.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2023, 09:51:03 PM »
there are some collectors out there that were collecting Thai posters before it was even a thing and some of these collectors sometimes may have two of certain posters if you are lucky so they may part with one, but in general even if you offer silly money they won't let much go, and even if they do have a double of a certain poster usually they prefer to trade rather than sell,

For sure.  I can tell you I had to twist some arms and put more money down to acquire some of my Spielbergs.  Back to the Future, Gremlins, Poltergeist, The Goonies...  come to mind.  I'm pretty certain these won't be seen again, or at least for a long time.  They went from collector to collector and they will not move from my collection until I'm six feet under.  At no price.  I'm guessing a lot of collectors are like me.  When there are less than 10 surviving copies of poster, it can easily disappear.  Back to the Future... Every six months for 2 years, asking, and asking again, upping the price, and again.  The seller cracked and regretted it afterwards.  Or so I was told.  It's a game of patience.  Now more so than ever, it seems.

T
My Personal Collection