Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 923661 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
Did watch the last Indy film when it came out, and that was recent enough for me. It wasn't too bad, but without doubt the worst of the 4. I'll give it a few years and maybe watch it again.

Big Sleep, yes time for another watch of that one. :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2011, 02:56:45 AM »
I find it hard to understand why anyone likes the Indy films. I am open minded. But I just dont get it. I was Raiders at the drive ins, and the rest at cinemas, except the lat which i couldn't be bothered with. I get when people say ITS JUST OLD FASHIONED FUN.. well, to me watch THE OLD FASHIONED FUN, theres a million of them.
I might be a grumpy old man, but I felt the same way when I was 10 or 11 and saw RAIDERS at the drive ins. Been there done that. Nothing new. And to be honest boring.
Saying that, I have been known to be wrong. Ahh well. maybe its cinema genius and I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:57:10 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
X-Men: First Class - It makes you wish they had never bothered with the other three films.  It's no coincidence that it's the best comic book film since Kick-Ass...  The only downside was the Iceberg ending. (Just like in Titanic, going in you know how it ends)

DreamWarrior

« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
X-Men: First Class - It makes you wish they had never bothered with the other three films.  It's no coincidence that it's the best comic book film since Kick-Ass...  The only downside was the Iceberg ending. (Just like in Titanic, going in you know how it ends)
Good to hear. It looks pretty badass.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »
Finally watched Black Swan, and queue the flame throwers; what a horrendously boring film. What exactly was trying to be conveyed here I think I am still trying to figure out.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
Just finished watching Empire strikes back, the best of all the Star wars films. It's still a first rate film even by today's standards. Followed it up with that good old, and last decent Hammer film, Frankenstein and the monster from Hell. first rate entertainment both...

Met Shane Briant last year at the Hammer films festival in Whitby, what a great fellow to spend some time with. Here's a pic of him, he insisted on Hamming it up as the Count for the pic.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2011, 11:42:05 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean 4 last night.  Like Archie said, basically another Pirates movie, although this one did have a few things that set it apart from the first 3, so all in all I'd say it was my favorite so far.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2011, 07:31:35 AM »
The Consequences of Love (2004).  Excellent.

tstatum

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2011, 08:08:44 AM »
I watched Drive Angry last night and enjoyed it.  It was nothing like I thought it be, the fact that it seemed not to take itself seriously really helped the feel.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean 4 last night.  Like Archie said, basically another Pirates movie, although this one did have a few things that set it apart from the first 3, so all in all I'd say it was my favorite so far.

I watched last weekend. I enjoyed it for what it was. My second favorite POTC movie after the original.

I also saw the Hangover 2. I liked it as okay.  It was basically the same movie as the first. Followed the formula of the first to the letter.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
Eagle has landed 4/6......not great like WED or Kellys Heroes , it only takes off at the end and even then not great.

Scary Movie 3.5/6......stupid retarded fun , mostly for teens really.

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
YT is down now it seems  eyeroll

Was gonna watch Valhalla animated movie........

Overrated films imo

Godfather I and II (I like I but I dont say its the best film ever.....words like best or hate are overused)
Goldfinger/TSWLM
North by Northwest (prolly many of Hitches films really....I like Kubrick more cept for Dr Strangelove)
Way We Were/Prince of Tides
Drunken Master
Kill Bills (overhyped at least......same with other Tarantinos. Never cared for Jackie Brown)
Yesterday , Today , Tomorrow
Indy Jones (old SW is more fun imo)
TDK (somewhat anyway......Mask of Phantasm just as good imo)
GoldenEye
H7 aka H20 (not really that scary , too influenced by Scream perhaps ?)
Gentlemen prefer Blondes (like an Elvis film with better songs , script isnt all that exciting)
Viva Las Vegas (songs/E and AM chemistry is awesome.....script is meh)

Underrated (ohhh , so many........)

Jaws 2
Batman Returns/Sub Zero
Mortal Kombat (best of the games-to-films)
Streisands Clear Day (I like it more 2nd time around)
Madame sans Gene/Woman of River/Ghosts Italian Style/Too bad shes bad (not masterpieces but fun)
Masters of Universe (like Batman 89 didnt take liberties......)
Arachnophobia (havent seen it in like 15 yrs but prolly underrated)
Duck Tales movie
TMNT II (not as serious as I but all right)
T3 (ditto)
Scars of Dracula (love the gritty atmosphere and the use of red curtains etc)
Taste blood of Dracula (Geoff Keen was cool , ending wasnt the best though)
AD 72 (kinda fun even if bit stale)
Horror Express (helluva movie.......why on Earth not on BD yet ??)
Enter Fat Dragon (charming , this would really benefit from BD treatment)
Rumble in Bronx/Police Story IV
A view to a Kill (cut away the slap stick and its pretty good imo)
Police Academy 2-6 (okay the 7th one was pretty stale.......dont be so hard on these , just silly fun)
Halloween 2-6 and Friday 13th 3-10 (not a big jason fan but those *are* underrated)
Elvis films (some of em anyway.......)
Owl and Pussycat/For Petes Sake (RIP Pete)
Big Boss (movie that started it all but overlooked in favor of the others , I love its gritty atmosphere......the most macabre of the Lee films)
Meet the Parents/Fockers/Little Fockers
Vietnam movie with Michael J Fox
BTTF III
Delta Force (fantastic music......much better script than Commando yet it gets overlooked)
Red Heat/Junior (Arnie flick that gets forget.....with Junior at least they tried something different)
Batman Forever (some silly stuff in it but waaaaaaaaay better than B and R)
Rocky IV (more of an action film than boxing but the James Brown scene kicks ass !!!)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:11:16 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

DreamWarrior

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Friday 13th 3-10 (not a big jason fan but those *are* underrated)
Part VI (Jason Lives) is my favorite. Which is yours?

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »
Part 1 or 2 prolly  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNX_Heix390&feature=related

YT is up now......just saw Valhalla , pretty good 4.5/6

The budget was 40 mill DKK , a ton of money then , esp for Denmark.....too bad it flopped overseas.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
I finally saw I Spit On Your Grave last night. Good stuff IMO. It was more brutal than I expected.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »
I finally saw I Spit On Your Grave last night. Good stuff IMO. It was more brutal than I expected.

Was that the original or the remake?
The orig was quite the disturbing film...

DreamWarrior

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
It was the Original. I wanted to puke when she cut the guy's dick off
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:04:59 PM by DreamWarrior »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »
seen the original many times, never liked it. Makes me sick. Saw the remake, was well made, but I wouldnt watch again. Not sure why I watched it anyway due to my feelings of the original. But overall the 1st has a heck of a lot more power to it. Just NOT a fan of rape revenge films is all.
An Error Has Occurred!

DreamWarrior

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
The rape scenes were pretty hard to watch, but when she got revenge it was sweet. I love me some vigilante justice movies.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
I don't, I have nothing against them, they make me feel TO uncomfortable, like Straw Dogs, I have seen it once, cannot watch it again, Baise moi I turned off. i can watch Cannibal Holocaust or whatever, salo, anything but rape revenge films freak me out. Seems the punishment doesnt go far enough to fit the crime. Thriller I have watched a few times, and like it, but again, I want her to hurt them MORE.
An Error Has Occurred!

DreamWarrior

« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »
I don't, I have nothing against them, they make me feel TO uncomfortable, like Straw Dogs, I have seen it once, cannot watch it again, Baise moi I turned off. i can watch Cannibal Holocaust or whatever, salo, anything but rape revenge films freak me out. Seems the punishment doesnt go far enough to fit the crime. Thriller I have watched a few times, and like it, but again, I want her to hurt them MORE.
Fair enough. Rapists lives have no value in my eyes and I love seeing the punishment. I wasn't as disgusted by the movie as much as the reminder that there are men like that out there and worse. I think for some poeple who can't watch horror at all get the same kind of feeling about murder.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
Aaaaaand on that note, Super 8, although not without some issues, ends up being really well done combination of Stand By Me and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

Juli

« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
Aaaaaand on that note, Super 8, although not without some issues, ends up being really well done combination of Stand By Me and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

Lucky you got to see it early. I wish I could go to those special advanced screenings.

~ Juli

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2011, 06:21:15 PM »
I dig that! I have not been looking forward to any movies in a while but that looks and sounds good.  Back to rape, Irreverisible is reprehensible.  I will take that triple word score....
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2011, 03:37:05 PM »
Watched Watchmen again last night. I do quite like this film, it does tail off a bit towards the end. Overall quite the ticket.

Followed it with Kronos-Vampire hunter, it's not from Hammers best period, I do think it's a very under rated. The other plus is Caroline Munro's in it... ;)