Collecting and Collectibles in Other Areas > General Discussion

Thoughts on VHS prices and grading?

<< < (3/3)

eatbrie:
It is unusable, especially if it is only worth something if factory sealed.  So you just keep a VHS in its plastic on a shelf for everyone to see?  I'm too old for this shit hahaha

T

giugno:
I know this is a discussing in regards to VHS sales at the auction houses... but I believe this video is pretty prudent, even though it's in regards to sealed Video Games and not VHS. Though, fairly similar and new to the market... everything surrounding it seems pretty messy..

This video, take it as you will as a random person on YouTube creating a video, seems pretty in-depth and well researched and, unfortunately, seems highly plausible..

crowzilla:

--- Quote from: Stefano on October 30, 2022, 10:47:51 PM ---Yeah, a lot of those high prices are crazy.  But out of 200K results, only about 50 sold for over $5K.  So they seem to be a tiny subset of statistical outliers going for that high.  And interestingly, none of those high-prices were the result of any kind of bidding war.  It's usually just a single bidder, or a Buy-it-Now listing.  So maybe there are a few wealthy people out there who just don't care about the price. 
But I have to admit it's all a bit strange.  Grainy analogue tape selling for more than posters?  Where are all these VHS collectors coming from?  They don't even make VCRs anymore, so it's an unusual collectable.

--- End quote ---

The fact that any sell for over $1000 (or even $100) is strange to me. As you pointed out, grainy analog tape selling for that. If it's about the cover images, the posters are much better.
$3600 (with four different bidders over $2K) for a Friday the 13th VHS? https://www.ebay.com/itm/155106994908? Definitely better off buying the poster.

Same for the Jaws at $2600 https://www.ebay.com/itm/185559336105?

And while there are only a handful of sales on ebay over $5,000, there are also only a handful of poster sales on ebay over $5,000 also. There seems to be a lot of solid (meaning multi-bidder activity) sales in the $500 to $2,500 range.  But who are we to say how other collectors should spend their money.

crowzilla:
Over the weekend, Goldin sold this Star Wars for $114,000 at auction.

wonka:

--- Quote from: crowzilla on October 31, 2022, 12:43:40 PM ---But who are we to say how other collectors should spend their money.

--- End quote ---

Kinda sums it up, doesn't it?

Strange to read a thread of a very niche hobby negatively critiquing/questioning another one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version