Author Topic: a nightmare on elm street uk cinema poster colour differnces in artwork  (Read 12255 times)

cinemaposter

hi to all
im looking for any info on the original artwork for the a nightmare on elm street poster, i have two in my possession one is rolled and the other one is folded, they are both identical accept the writing on the folded poster is a deep orange but the writing on the rolled poster is a lighter sandy mustard type colour. on close inspection the rolled poster is about 3 mill shorter than the folded one, also the folded one seems to be richer in colour as the rolled one is ever so slightly duller in colour but this can only be seen on close inspection. i know that some films which were distributed to cinemas had several print runs for the posters, could this be the reason for the colour change. im looking for any info on why this would be, if anyone has an elm street poster with the lighter coloured writing please upload picture so i can compare cheers

guest8

Re: a nightmare on elm street uk cinema poster colour differnces in artwork
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
I have a picture of mine .. I havent seen the actual poster in a while so I dont know if its a trick of the cameras flash or its actually that color but it seems that my writing is of the lighter/yellow style rather than the orange .. I will try to take a look at the actual poster when I get home to verify ..

Here is my pic ..

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »
Is the text clear and crisp on both?  What about smooth gradations in darks or shadowed areas?  The fact that it is rolled and has generally duller colors except for some oversaturated bright colors makes me worried that it could be an unknown bootleg. Hopefully that is not the case...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
Hi, Folks!

Just to confirm my off-forum reply to this enquiry, it's always difficult to give a definite ruling on something like this.

Most posters had more than one print run which would produce various colour and paper variations. I don't have any specific info re bootleg versions of this poster - so, assuming they both measure up to the full 30" x 40" (give or take the odd millimetre or so), then it's possible that they are both OK.

Personally, based on the images and descriptions you have supplied, I would feel happier with the folded one - but that's not to suggest there's anything actually 'wrong' with the rolled one - just a personal opinion.

Your theory of extra posters being printed is perfectly reasonable but I don't have any specific information about release dates.

It will be interesting to see other members' comments on this one.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk

Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
I have a couple and they are both identical in colors and sizing. The rolled on sounds a bit scary to me, is the paper quality the same on both?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »
...please upload picture so i can compare cheers

Can you please upload pictures of your two posters as well so we have it documented here?  Thanks!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
The title on mine is a nice orange, as in the above pic. The rolled one Sounds very iffy to me. I don't think I have ever seen one with a  yellow title!!

I don't think it is an ink difference either as Fallen's still has orange words and the title is Yellow, which implies it was done like that........mmm.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
I have a folded and an unfolded example of the "orange text" style - both posters are identical in every way - the same dimensions, the same paper, same quality of print.

Mark

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
hey guys i have the pics in my inbox but cant upload them here because of there size, anyone know hoe i make the file size smaller?

guest8

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
You can change the format jpg/gif/png or the actual size of the image in windows paint .. that should help some.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
hey guys i have the pics in my inbox but cant upload them here because of there size, anyone know hoe i make the file size smaller?

I have an http://imageshack.us account that I use to host my poster pictures... when you upload it gives you the option to resize. 

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
i tryed but it says uploading folder is full... :-\

drivin me nutts, i give up

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Whatever camera you use to take photos with must have some associated software included with it which will enable you to re-size the images.  What about the images on your website - what do you use to edit, crop or re-size those?

guest8

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
i tryed but it says uploading folder is full... :-\

drivin me nutts, i give up
email them to me thefallenangel1@gmail.com

guest8

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
Jon I emailed your pics back resized to about 1/3 of their original file sizes .. I also uploaded them to my photobucket account too..
Heres Jons pics ..

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
Getting confused now!
Just to clarify - I believe the images which Amoviemasterpiece sent to Fallenangel1 for re-sizing and uploading are actually the images of the two posters belonging to cinemaposter who made the original enquiry - is that right?

guest8

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
Getting confused now!
Just to clarify - I believe the images which Amoviemasterpiece sent to Fallenangel1 for re-sizing and uploading are actually the images of the two posters belonging to cinemaposter who made the original enquiry - is that right?

LOL .. Opps .. I got lost in the chain of replies .. Yes I believe you are correct ;)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 03:53:58 AM »
yes that is correct T.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 10:37:16 AM »
FWIW my rolled NOES quad has orange text that can definitely be described as neon in tone. Nowhere near yellow.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Damn, I thought this poster was rare.  It sounds like I'm the only APF'er who doesn't have one!

guest8

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »
Damn, I thought this poster was rare.  It sounds like I'm the only APF'er who doesn't have one!

Youre just not one of the kewl kids :P

As for mine, in the picture mine is different than everyone elses, it seems to have yellow text for the title and orange for the credits ... If I get a chance tonight Ill pull it out and take a closer look and see what it really is and can we get some measurements of known authentic pieces and some of the questionable ones?

cinemaposter

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »
hi to all, just to say that the images submitted above by amoviemasterpiece are the posters owned by cinemaposter, thanks for uploading much apreciated, im a bit new to this game so struggling a little. if anyone else has got an elm street poster with the lighter colour please post a picture and your thoughts.
both my elm street posters feel the same qualitty, however on very close inspection the folded poster seems to be ever so slightly brighter in the colour, a little glossier if you know what i mean, the rolled one also measures about 3 mill shorter than the folded one from left to right but from top to bottom they both do measure the 30 inches, the text on my rolled poster is more of a light sandy type colour than orange (as seen on the folded version) seems to be the same colour as used in the windows of image and writing on the top.
ive noticed the elm street poster pictures uploaded by fallenangel and ddilts399 the title writing (a nightmare on elm street) at the bottom looks to be the same colour as mine but the writing at the top which say sleep kills looks to be the deep orange colour but with my rolled poster all the text is the same colour, need to find out if this is just a re-run printout for cinemas or just a bootleg. i know some films had re-runs printed for example the warriors on its first run the main feature picture of the gang on the front was in colour, when the film did well and they had to print more of for other cinemas they took the colour out of the main picture of the gang and printed them of in black and white this i believe was to save on money with the ink, could this be the reason for the differnet colour variations with the elm street poster.i know some sellers are passing my rolled poster off as not original just because it is rolled and has slight colour variation but i need to find more info on this, keep the replys and photos coming in, much apreciated
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:01:50 PM by cinemaposter »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
Was there no final conclusion on the colour thing? Anyone?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 05:37:10 AM »
if its fake, its more rare than the original.

diesel

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
if its fake, its more rare than the original.
;D

I got my first Elm quad off the bay for £238 a couple weeks back.