Author Topic: Any poster shops in Hong Kong and Vietnam  (Read 2547 times)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Any poster shops in Hong Kong and Vietnam
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
 anyone know of any? I'll be there next week

thanks

Farrukh

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: Any poster shops in Hong Kong and Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »
managed to find a couple of poster shops in Hanoi although they arent movie posters i bought a couple as souvenirs. Its very tough to find originals so i had to settle for reprints. There were some hand painted ones but they were expensive and produced only about 10 years ago.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »
I finally got around to visiting Vietnam a few years ago... I absolutely fell in love with Hanoi. Was the poster shop in the art district?  I was amazed at the quality and quantity of modern art being produced there...

The only thing I didn't like about Hanoi was trying to cross the street amongst the tsunami of scooters!

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »
I finally got around to visiting Vietnam a few years ago... I absolutely fell in love with Hanoi. Was the poster shop in the art district?  I was amazed at the quality and quantity of modern art being produced there...

The only thing I didn't like about Hanoi was trying to cross the street amongst the tsunami of scooters!

the poster shops are in the old quarter one was Hang Bac street. If you think Hanoi is bad for crossing the street Saigon is 10x worse. They advise you to close your eyes and walk slowly. :o

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »
the poster shops are in the old quarter one was Hang Bac street.

That sounds like where I'm thinking.  In one section of the old quarter there was a modern art university... there were tons of galleries, furniture stores, etc... that had really really cool, yet reasonably priced pieces. 

If you think Hanoi is bad for crossing the street Saigon is 10x worse. They advise you to close your eyes and walk slowly. :o

We were in Ho Chi Minh City as well... that is about what I remember!  We had a group of 5 people we were traveling with.  We would wait for a local to start crossing the street and all walk in step with them to use them as a blocker.  It was pretty terrifying at times... but if you panic, you are toast!