Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1541306 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2010, 06:23:44 PM »
I understand, but in this case, it was only 1 per person, so the people who reselling them now bought with the sole intent to sell back.  They are not collectors, and could obviously not care less about the posters.  Vultures.  The worst kind.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »
LOL .. I agree 1,000,000% .. If you question my allegiance go back to MPF and search for my GfX thread where I was hating on Dave L for essentially doing the same thing with one of the 1st GfX posters on the market :P

I was raising hell on EB about flippers .. and they ripped me a new one calling me names and all .. Then again right now 6 EB members have the DD print listed for sale/trade, while 2 have the Ansin Variant and 1 with the reg listed for sale or trade..

I can see a slight positive to it as well .. It defiantly increases the long term value .. Its inflated too much at 1st but after it settles I think its still higher than if there were no flippers. Its still wrong no matter what though.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »
Well if they actually cared to stop it they could track what number each person got when shipped from Mondo's. Set up a small database so they could keep track of where each numbered poster went. If they see that poster up on ebay, then the person tied to that number they sold it to gets put in a queue and is held back from buying future purchases until other buyers who do not resell get a chance to purchase the new releases first. Then after a certain amount of time has elapsed during the buying process from the release of new posters those who have been tagged as resellers will get a chance to buy the posters. This helps keep down on all the extra profits on ebay but at the same time doesn't stick Mondo's with a ton of prints they can't sell. If the poster doesn't sell out it wasn't going to anyway. It sounds like a hassle but really it can't be any more trouble than what they get from screwing with their shitty site all the time. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Chad

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »
I imagine the non-US restriction is due to this being a licensed print from Universal which is UIP/UPI instead of just Universal and thus a different ball of play-do on anything contractual related.

Of course I know absolutely nothing concrete and am trying to pull a reason out, but that one sounded good.

guest8

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
Chad:
That sounds like a lot of trouble really .. cataloging all the #'s .. How many were there with these 3 ? 250+350+75 .. Thats a lot to try and keep tabs on.. If I were to do it .. Id have one of the cashiers check ebay every day and ask any sellers that popped up for pics sent to their email and cross reference their email addys .. and cancel their orders before they are even shipped. Granted they may use different email address but that would catch a few and when the word got out people would stop this shit of buying and posting on ebay within the hour .. They could keep this up for a month or so after a sale too that way they can try to catch those who at least wait until they ship to sell as well ..

Dale:
Yeah I bet your in the ballpark .. Mitch was going on about how these werent regular mondo prints or art prints these are official licensed movie posters .. So they are held to the same regs that other universal posters are held to.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
All they have to do is when shipping out the orders, grab the ticket and type the 2 - 3 digit number into the computer next to the name of the poster under that persons account. Anytime one pops up on ebay you do a search on that poster name and number and bam there is the person. They do orders in the order they receive them. They pull up the ticket on the computer screen and stuff the tubes. it wouldn't be that hard to type in a few digits of in the computer of what number poster went in the tube under that persons account before moving onto the next ticket.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
Very few actually list the number the print is on ebay, esp in this specific circumstance, cause they don't know what they are getting, so there are always loopholes and nothing is bulletproof

Besides, as annoying and crappy as it is, once someone buys something off you, you have no control over what they end up doing with the item.
Ves

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
And lets be honest here, Mondo could give a crap less, they want to sell out of their allocation plain and simple. They are not in business to appease us collectors.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
Very true
Ves

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
How has that Tan Warriors not sold out yet, that is a fantastic print.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »
It's not that nice.  A lot of people didn't get it, me included.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
WHAT!

You need to see it in hand. Tan has a more comic book feel to his art, but I prefer his style over many others.  Ansin right now is heads above everyone else in the work he is doing as it relates to film marketing.

Are you really going to tell me you prefer Drew Millward's teletubbie art style over Tan!?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:24:52 PM by ddilts399 »

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Agree on Ansin.  Is fast becoming my favourite artist.
Also agree on the Tan Warriors...even though it's not for an actual showing, still loved it enough to pick one up.

I'm well and truly over the Stout prints...same same same
Ves

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »
WHAT!

You need to see it in hand. Tan has a more comic book feel to his art, but I prefer his style over many others.  Ansin right now is heads above everyone else in the work he is doing as it relates to film marketing.

Are you really going to tell me you prefer Drew Millward's teletubbie art style over Tan!?

I don't like Millward either (although Beetlejuice variant is pretty sweet).

I LOVE Ansin, although I don't know if his style would go with modern films.  I know he's done Imaginarium, but that's a Gilliam flick, and not really what I consider a modern film, like say Inglourious Basterds.  He does great with classics, though.  And I LOVE Stout.  Even though, like Ves said, his style tends to be more of the same, he still does it for me, and to me, Monster Squad looks very different than Blade Runner, Lost looks nothing like The Thing, both in colors and design.

So Stout and Ansin are it, with a special mention to Rhys Cooper's Gremlins.  I'd love to see him do another one.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »
Here, Here.. Cooper has a fantastic portfolio and would be a great addition to the standard artist rotation.  I would really like to see James Rheem Davis do another as well.

Carson

« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
In context of that style Eric Tan is perhaps the most true talent of all. If you've seen his X-men, Indie, Wall-E and Incredibles you know why. No tracing from a projector. He's utterly original, though animated (2D) style doesn't appeal to everyone.

So Ansin is the new Stout? Perhaps. What impresses me with Ansin is 99% of the artists collaborating with Alamo do so to do "their thing". They apply their unique art treatment to a movie title: ie take some familiar faces and scenes from a movie and redraw them in their style. Danger, Stout, Phillips, etc, all do this.

Ansin, in contrast, is adapting his art to accommodate the movie. Not only the movie but the era. He gets film art and OHH is it beautiful to see! Phantom and Wolf Man are two of the best in 13 years. Yes, Rhy's Cooper is the other mad scientist I envy. His Gremlins almost feels like a would-be authentic 80's quad. He let the movie lead.

Carson

« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
Yes, I actually talked to Martin about this yesterday and his answer was, I quote: "So many Universal monsters posters have an unconscious girl being held, I had to do one of those too!"  It does make sense.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
... are two of the best in 13 years.

Hey Carson, do you have a COMPLETE list of all the Alamo posters?  Did it really start in 1997?  How many posters have they come out with, and when did it start to be so popular (aside from your dreaded thread on MPF  ;))

T
My Personal Collection

bannister

« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
Hey Carson, do you have a COMPLETE list of all the Alamo posters?  Did it really start in 1997?  How many posters have they come out with, and when did it start to be so popular (aside from your dreaded thread on MPF  ;))

T
I think these things really started gaining popularity with the release of Stout's The Thing poster in April 2008. I had just started collecting them just before that when I purchased Big Trouble in Little China. That poster was on Mondo's site 3-4 months. When The Thing was released, it lasted a few hours.

guest158

« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2010, 04:04:32 PM »
Hi Carson
If still available I'd love to have that Ansin print.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Noel

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2010, 03:22:47 AM »
Hey Carson, do you have a COMPLETE list of all the Alamo posters?  Did it really start in 1997?  How many posters have they come out with, and when did it start to be so popular (aside from your dreaded thread on MPF  ;))

T

I used to have a complete list, but I havent kept it up to date.  The theater was founded in 97, but the earliest poster I have seen is Moorman's metropolis daybill from 1998.  There were 2 versions of this daybill.  One was on yellow stock, the other one white.  The knowledge of what (if anything) was printed between 98 and the 02-03 timeframe is very murky.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
The early stuff was not Mondo related was it? I didnt think they got involved until 05'.

Carson

« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
The theater has been around 13 years (1997). The first Alamo poster to my knowledge are the Metropolis styles from 1998. I wouldn't consider the Alamo posters a regular offering until Alamo's mondotees appeared online in 2004. February of 2004 I believe. Mondotees is an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema company; their merchandise and gift store. I assume it's still that way.

Check out the mondo shop if you're ever down there: 1120 South Lamar

Carson

« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »
My Ansin regular is headed to UK, Noel. Sorry about that.

If anyone is interested in a Daniel Danger trade of their blue Royal Tenenbaums for my yet to arrive blue Daniel Danger Wolf Man just holla.