Author Topic: Anyone got the original quad of BLADE  (Read 2728 times)

diesel

Anyone got the original quad of BLADE
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
More info needed again I'm afraid... :-\

I recently bought the Quad for the film Blade as an Xmas pressie. When it arrived it was on really flimsy paper that smelt of Ink Jet and the tiny wording is fuzzy.
I challenged the seller who has insisted it is original and that film paper only became glossy in the years after this film was released and that he obtained all his posters from the theatre he used to work in etc.
To be fair, all his feedback is really good and he has clearly stated 2 reprints that he is selling.

Does anyone own this one and if so is it like I've mentioned above.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Anyone got the original quad of BLADE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:45:11 AM »
No, the paper is not flimsy at all. It's in keeping with most of the posters produced at this time. I know it's a pain but I would send it back and get a refund. If nothing else you will have piece of mind.

Also in my very limited collecting of new posters I have some from the early 90's and they are on the same glossy paper. I'm sure Quadbod will confirm this also.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:19:26 AM »
No, the paper is not flimsy at all. It's in keeping with most of the posters produced at this time. I know it's a pain but I would send it back and get a refund. If nothing else you will have piece of mind.

Also in my very limited collecting of new posters I have some from the early 90's and they are on the same glossy paper. I'm sure Quadbod will confirm this also.
Broadly speaking, yes - that's right - but we know even less about 'new' posters (that's anything since 1990!).  Best way is to post images and dimensions, etc and make a direct comparison with a known reference example.

Going back to the safer territory of older posters, I can point out that occasionally different paper types do appear, even in apparently identical print-runs of the same title.  So - as with the 'check for fuzzy print' rule - every pointer should be taken into consideration without making an absolute 'right or wrong' decision based on one doubtful element.

At a recent fair, one customer was examining the NSS text at the bottom left corner of one of our STAR WARS quads and was asking reasonable questions about the slightly blurry printing.  We know the poster is absolutely OK but his questions were obviously based on sound advice.  Similarly, the old maxim of 'no printer's credit means re-release' has often been the cause of unfounded concerns about the originality of a poster.  It's always advisable to take the wider view and check as many factors as possible - just in case!  If, after checking every aspect, there is still doubt, then, as Paul says, take whatever steps are necessary to give you absolute peace of mind.

Let us know what you decide!

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

longdog

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:57:08 AM »
Hi Diesel,

It's been some time since I've handled this particular title but if I remember correctly it was released in the UK by 'Entertainment' distributors and should be single sided.

Having previously talked to someone connected to the printing at the time it would be fair to say they (the client) kept expense to a minimum and that perhaps quality was not always the prime concern. I don't recall the paper being particularly flimsy but I do vaguely remember the credits being a bit 'off'.

There aren't too many repro quads (compared to 1-sheets) out there and this isn't a title that warrants one being produced as the value is not more than £25/35 for a rolled, near mint original so if the dimensions match the usual 30x40 I think you should be on safe ground.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »
Words of wisdom from a new member with an inside line...
 welcome1 to APF, Paul Longdog!

longdog

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
Many thanks Brude!

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »
im guessing this is the poster?

mine is single sided & from the top of my head - still abit fuzzy after the weekend- i remember it being of slightly thicker paper & the credits being fairly clear despite the photo showing otherwise.
i did have an Apocalypse Now Rerelease quad that had fuzzy text & poor picture quality but was assured by the seller that was original. it measured 30x40 but was of such poor quality compared to original release i was sure it was a copy. only a fiver so thought WTF!

longdog

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:14:35 AM »
My guess on that Apocalypse Now RR quad is that the distributors (Blue Dolphin) didn't want to design a new or reworked ad campaign and simply photographed an original quad with text adaptations overlayed.

That might explain why the text and picture was fuzzy and why there appears to be fold lines in the central section of the poster... cheapskates!

Paul.

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
totally agree - only bought it as i wanted the original release quad but couldnt find 1 nice & cheap. maybe im also abit of a skinflint!

longdog

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
Hardly a skinflint  :)

At that price it was an absolute bargain and will make a great display piece until the original turns up. In fact, I would imagine the print run was probably quite low on the Blue Dolphin release which had very little fanfare compared to the later Redux.

When you do get the original you will notice the 'Dolby Digital' logo is probably overprinted with a black block (similar to what is on the Blue Dolphin. Over the years the majority of the ones I have seen have been identical with only a few untouched. It shouldn't make much difference (if any) to the value but I can't think of many other titles that had a similar 'removal'.

Paul.

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:02 AM »
heres my copy - abit battered but im just a fan of the movie - nothing like necking a few beers & watching a high quality drug induced war film with the home cinema cranked up - especially for the beach scene! smashing!!!!

diesel

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I've actually just bought another from a different seller and will compare. Hopefully, they will both be the same.