Author Topic: Poster collection legacy  (Read 4020 times)

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Poster collection legacy
« on: May 19, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »
Not to be too morbid but as I get into my late 60’s I have been thinking more about estate planning. Everything is mostly in place regarding a living trust and will, the only unresolved item is my poster collection. I told my wife and kids (21 and 23), I would start selling most of the collection over the coming years but would be left with around 500 UK and Mexican posters that I don’t want to sell and I want them preserved appropriately. I am still buying posters but at a lesser rate than I am selling.

Neither of my kids (or wife) has a particular interest in the posters although they have their own favorites based on the actual movie. I have set aside the posters they personally want to keep for themselves.

Anyway I have decided to ‘bequeath’ the remaining posters to an appropriate institute that will take care of them. I know Stanford and other Universities archive posters, appropriately, as do art galleries and museums. I am currently researching a suitable recipient.

I was wondering what other collectors intend to do with their beloved posters, when the ‘time’ comes. Even if my ‘heirs’ could get thousands of dollars for my posters, I can’t bear the thought of someone mistreating them.
Regards

Ian

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Poster collection legacy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
Have you thought about donating to the Academy?  Their Margaret Herrick Library is a wonderful source, and the curator loves posters and films and everything would be well taken care of.
https://www.oscars.org/library
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
I know someone who would take very good care of the UK stuff.... wynk
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 12:59:55 PM »
Crowzilla, Thanks for the reference - I will follow up with that one.

Paul, I kind of guessed your response - I will put some deals together for you, but the customs postage etc. is a pain to the UK.
Regards

Ian

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »
I have never considered my collection as a monetary investment or as something I would pass on to future generations.  Collecting is just a hobby of mine and that’s as far as it goes.  I’m in my early 50s and like you I have set up a trust for houses and financial investment, but the posters are nowhere mentioned.  I wouldn’t even know how to value my collection, so I’m kind of like - do what you please with it after I’m gone, I don’t really care. 

I know my son wants the Star Wars collection, but he’s only 7 and his interest for it might change with time.  His twin sister could not care less about it.  Everyone we know works in the movie industry so I’m sure there will be some interest at some point, maybe one of them will want to keep the French double panel of La Belle et la Bête or a Vertigo one sheet, but I honestly haven’t thought much about it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 01:41:58 AM »
I think my kids will keep what they like and sell the rest. I'll try to deburden them some perhaps before I get too old (70s, 80s?). Okie

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
I think my kids will keep what they like and sell the rest. I'll try to deburden them some perhaps before I get too old (70s, 80s?). Okie

You know where to deburden your argentinean stuff, don't you?  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 11:52:27 PM »
Hi Matias! 

I'm still hoping one day you can bring the Wolfman to our house to visit his cousins!  Family reunion time?!   Okie

You know where to deburden your argentinean stuff, don't you?  ;)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 06:46:44 PM »
Hi Matias! 

I'm still hoping one day you can bring the Wolfman to our house to visit his cousins!  Family reunion time?!   Okie

Monster party!

Matias

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »

Paul, I kind of guessed your response - I will put some deals together for you, but the customs postage etc. is a pain to the UK.

Haha, you know me too well, Ian...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »
Yeah, wouldn't that be great, Matias!  I definitely have the right records to play to get the guests howlin'! 

Okie

Monster party!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »

Matias

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 12:37:21 AM »

Yes, you definitely need to bring that record along with Wolfie, Matias!!! Phantom Ladies' choice, everybody dance!

Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 03:23:13 AM »
I am guessing it would all go to the one person in my will.

But, I have thought about where best some lines would sell, even if she had the time and wherewithal  to do anything about it.

Or, I would just chuck it all over the fence to an auction house and let them get on with it.

Hmmm..