Author Topic: 60 Members in 2 Days!  (Read 36363 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
60 Members in 2 Days!
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
Not a bad beginning.

And to all of you lurkers, join and post, make this forum your new home.

Happy Holidays to all.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

Re: 60 Members in 2 Days!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »
I wonder why people join a public forum and then never post ?? :/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
Because they're scared of you!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

cinemarts

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
I wonder why people join a public forum and then never post ??

T'is the same at NSF. 500 plus members, and a core of steady contributors,
and once-in-a-whilers.

I know many dealers who are members and/or at least read regularly but never post
because of the potential threat of public character assassination....

Then there are the dealers who just post in the FS/WTB but never contribute anything in
the way of info or their experience.

Phil

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:10:40 PM »
Interesting Q.  MPF has 3500 members.  How many regularly currently contribute?  I'd say less than 100 and probably the top 20 make 80% of the posts.

Maybe we can borrow some of Gigposter.com's members - they've got 25,000 and the same "premium" membership deal.  Maybe they're tired of paying that.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:49 AM »
If MPF has really 3500 members ill not only eat my hat,  Ill eat my shit that comes out after eating my hat.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »
Interesting Q.  MPF has 3500 members.  How many regularly currently contribute?  I'd say less than 100 and probably the top 20 make 80% of the posts.

Maybe we can borrow some of Gigposter.com's members - they've got 25,000 and the same "premium" membership deal.  Maybe they're tired of paying that.

I have a secret plan to drag more people from different forums to the site, but it won't happen until early next year and I can't talk about it yet.  But if it works, it should be good.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

cinemarts

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »
If MPF has really 3500 members ill not only eat my hat,  Ill eat my shit that comes out after eating my hat.

I dunno what's funnier. The claim to have 3500 members at MPF, or Ari's comment.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
Ahhh, a win a poster competition?!!!

Ari, just cracks me up!

Good luck guys with this new forum.

Maybe the advertising poster section can be more defined as - non movie/tv posters?
How about maybe breaking the movie poster section into vintage and non vintage sections?

The forums looking great so far. Well done,

Steve

easyenders

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:03:09 AM »

I dunno what's funnier. The claim to have 3500 members at MPF, or Ari's comment.

3500 members, and all possible saboteurs......no wonder the strain has told.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
If MPF has really 3500 members ill not only eat my hat,  Ill eat my shit that comes out after eating my hat.

It ain't no use to learn you people nothin'!

This figure is easily tallied.  Go to the MPF member page.  Sort the list by "post count."  That will produce 176 pages of 20 members.  176x20 = 3520

Of course most of them signed up and quickly disappeared.  But yes, technically MPF has 3500 members.

And by the way, one of the reasons I rarely delved into NSF4 is because of the vulgarity prevalent there.  This is a free and open forum but shouldn't we observe some decorum?  "Eating my shit from my hat"?  Come on - those kind of posts scare off potential members.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:01:19 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

easyenders

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:20:52 AM »
It ain't no use to learn you people nothin'!

This figure is easily tallied.  Go to the MPF member page.  Sort the list by "post count."  

no need to get personal......oh sorry I thought you called me a $#@^% there for a minute........I really need to get to Specsavers.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
"$#@^%"?  Andrew Dice Clay is in the house! Woo-hoo!  I'm sure women will be signing up in droves for this board now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:00:47 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

easyenders

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 07:34:35 AM »
"$#@^%"?  Andrew Dice Clay is in the house! Woo-hoo!  I'm sure women will be signing up in droves for this board now.

That kind of talk is why a NSFGE member told me "NSFGE can be intimidating when you see us post the things that we post -- and I wish it weren't intimidating, because I do think it either scares or puts some people off, particularly women."

Andrew Dice Clay? Women? ........Care to expand?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
Andrew Dice Clay? Women? ........Care to expand?

I've made my point. I'm not a prude - and certainly I swear all the time - but IMHO making comments like "I'm going to eat my shit from my hat" and "$#@^%" cross the line and will hinder the growth of this forum.

easyenders

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »
note to admin: any chance of selecting new members against a sense of humour meter? Ari's was the best laugh that I have had today....mine made me smile a little.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:02:08 AM »
note to admin: any chance of selecting new members against a sense of humour meter? Ari's was the best laugh that I have had today....mine made me smile a little.

I do have a sense of humor.  I couldn't stop laughing at your "count/$#@^%" pun.  That was f&cking hilarious!

easyenders

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
a little bit of dry wit there coming through Mel.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
a little bit of dry wit there coming through Mel.

Look, you'll be happy to know Holiday has already told me that "everything goes here except hate language" and will probably chastise me for bringing this subject up publicly and criticizing you and Ari.  But it's a fair point. If I were a woman and Googled "art posters" and came to this forum and saw that type of language, I'd move on.

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 09:05:21 AM »
Mel

People who swear a lot have limited vocabularies. It reflects on them, but doesn't bother me. I am bothered by all the in-fighting that swells on most Internet forum, for it clearly runs many people off. Once the anonymous posters show up with the infantile attacks, I give up on a forum and move on.

Bruce

kauaitx

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »
Just 2-3 days of life and APF already has its first scuffle. The mark of a true forum taking off is the fighting that ensues.  I'm so proud of APF.

We are not homogenous people and so there will be many personality quirks that are just not going to gel with others.  We can either ignore them, deal with them or have fun with them.  But, I do agree with Bruce that the anonymous hit-and-run IDs, who are just cowards that would cower if they ever came face-to-face with an actual member of a forum, have as much use on boards as the advertisement spams.

Jeannie

[Edit note:  Corrected "geld" to "gel".  Freudian slip - I apparently have castration on my mind.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:48:18 AM by kauaitx »

kauaitx

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »
I have a secret plan to drag more people from different forums to the site, but it won't happen until early next year and I can't talk about it yet.  But if it works, it should be good.

Thierry

If it involves raffling off XBoxes, count me in.
I'm sure I'll win them all.

Jeannie

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
Why do you need another one Jeannie?  Didnt you steal one already?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

kauaitx

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »

Lies, lies, lies!   Lies, I's tells ya!

One can never have too many XBoxes - I have more horses.

Jeannie

easyenders

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 10:17:57 AM »
Look, you'll be happy to know Holiday has already told me that "everything goes here except hate language"

hate languge?......you called me a post $#@^% which seems like.....ages ago now......narrow mindedness now, thats the issue.