Author Topic: So which one of you guys will be all over this?  (Read 27776 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: So which one of you guys will be all over this?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »

I always wondered what happened to Popeye's son.....Seems he's all grown up and had a sex change :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »
maybe their talking about the carpet and not the curtains   :o

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »
New featurette up for SUCKER PUNCH...  http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi75601945/

agentprovocateur

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 09:06:44 AM »
Just seen the trailers for this and have to say it's a no brainer... turn it off and leave it at home ;D It looks spectacular, and as much as I love a well scripted/acted film with quality directorial expertise, I'll definitely try and catch it on the big screen.

I've got a question as well about sizing and legitimacy of posters for this film. I was on the look out for the set of 5 character posters and came across this auction (which was previously worded differently hence my question below):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180628302947&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I sent the seller a question as the listing previously stated 'they weren't one sheets' and their size was '26.5"x39.5"':
'... The size you quote is only just under one sheet size (26.5"x38.5"), so when you say 'original promotional' items I take these were not released by the film company for use in cinemas? Are these licensed prints? Sorry for my confusion, as I am looking for a full set of these as original cinema posters...'

And this was the response (which seemed very good to me!):
'Hello Yes I'm a one sheet collector myself for the past 20 plus years. So I do know the difference between the two. This is why I was trying to describe a distinct difference in the description. No these are not licensed prints from a publisher anywhere. Nor is the artwork duplicated by another company at this time. Trends Posters & GB Posters have a brownish look and only have three designs available to date, that I know of. Yes these are film distributor promotional poster referred to as wilding version of poster.
Definition taken from cinemasterpieces.com
WILDING POSTER
Made to be pasted up outside in cities on construction sites etc. Sizes vary and they may have artwork the same or completely different than the one sheet. Can be very collectible and sometimes extremely rare. Most do not survive because they are eventually pasted over with newer posters or destroyed by the elements.
I think I will rephrase the title to read this it might help others also. Thanks for your email. Good Luck
'

But as I'm not totally clued up on exact sizes when it comes to fly/wilding posters I thought someone on here might know a bit more?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
Reading between the lines,i cant help but feel the seller cant bring himself to say...repro poster for sale,,tough one though..

Stew

agentprovocateur

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »
Thanks Stew

He sounds like he knows what he's talking about but I do have this nagging doubt!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »
Thanks Stew

He sounds like he knows what he's talking about but I do have this nagging doubt!
I sound like i know what im talking about,but its clear to me..any doubt?? ask the forum...

Stew

agentprovocateur

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »
Stew, I believe you... didn't mean to doubt your word, thanks for the heads up :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
They must be reprints. 
These designs were for the vinyl character banners and this is the first I have seen in this size.
If you look at ALL of the other posters this seller has, you can see that they are all promo posters.
He has a few of these individually, where he has clearly said, "not a one sheet."
I like them, but I would pass...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
Sadly, these retro designs will probably never see the light of day, what with all of the character posters that they've already produced...
I got these images from Kino...

Movie opens in a few days...

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
As a young man, I am obligated to attend this movie because I am by law required to have enjoyed 300 and Watchmen. I'm attending a midnight premiere on Thursday night with most of the staff and we're all anxiously awaiting the mixed reviews. Zack Snyder is quite popular, but his films have never been spectacularly met critically. I think the biggest thing Sucker Punch has going for it is its originality and unconventional story telling. There are three levels of existence, two of which are fantasy, and each has factors that echo through the others.

Reality level is an asylum where Emily Browning is waiting to be lobotomized after her sexually abusive father had her committed for defending herself after he kills her mother and younger sister.

Fantasy Level 1 is a dramatization where Emily Browning and the other girls are all forced in prostitution and she is attempting an escape before John Hamm takes her virginity. But honestly, why would you want to escape that?

Fantasy Level 2 is four 15 minute action sequences that take place in Emily Browning's imagination during therapeutic dance sequences on the Brothel Level.

It's also a musical.

So if only because this movie is going to be completely insane I'm looking forward to it. The clips that have been released leave a lot to be desired with the acting but let's hope the movie picks up its own slack.

And yes, I have my Sucker Punch posters. I can't wait to see if I'll keep them.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
Sadly, these retro designs will probably never see the light of day, what with all of the character posters that they've already produced...
I got these images from Kino....

Actually, there have been very few Sucker Punch posters. There is a teaser, an identical final, and a bus shelter. The character posters you've seen are from Comic Con. There are two sets, but none of them ever have gone to theatres.

Supposedly there are also some wilding posters but I certainly haven't seen them anywhere. Granted I live in Maine and there are only so many trees that would be worth hanging a poster on. I suspect most of the ones on eBay are fake because they all have different measurements.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
Unless I see a picture of them actually, you know, 'in the wild', I stay away from most 'wilding' posters...

As the quality of print-your-own posters increases we will see more and more of random images described as 'wilding' posters.

As for the flick, 300 blew and Watchmen rocked, so it go could either way.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »
...and you don't want to know which way it went.  Storytelling for kindergartners...

For the life of me, I couldn't place the actress that played Rocket the entire film.  Who knew Jena Malone (who I adored in Saved and Donnie Darko) would look so different (and so good) as a blond?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 07:02:06 AM »
Sniff, I loved 300 (and its really not the usual film I like)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 11:24:49 AM »

I nearly loved it. I more liked it really alot.

I also really liked Watchmen alot.

Still, I have no interest in this movie...(except looking at the broads) yet.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »

I'm with you on 300 brother.
Archie's just an elitist snob.  Hell, He probably didn't even like ASTRO ZOMBIES...  hitself

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 11:44:37 PM »
I'm with you on 300 brother.
Archie's just an elitist snob.  Hell, He probably didn't even like ASTRO ZOMBIES...  hitself

DEMS FIGHTIN' WORDS.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
So are there any positive reviews of this movie? 

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/25/sucker.punch.review/
See, the suckers here are the poor mugs who leave their dollars at the door. And for what? A seedy, desaturated, overstimulated simulation of a real movie. Schlock treatment for comatose gamers, and a bomb with a bright pink cherry on top.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/4489929-421/sucker-punch-a-confusing-house-of-horrors-story-with-busty-women.html
Sitting through “Sucker Punch” was the most painful test of endurance since, well, “Drive Angry 3-D” last month. It’s like watching the Pussycat Dolls starring in “The Last Airbender” as filtered through the lens of “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,” all of it set to some really banging tunes from artists ranging from Bjork to the Beatles.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sucker-punch-2010/
Well, even if the critics have spoken/hurled (only 22% positive), I guess all the studios care about is the teenage boys (76% positive audience rating).  Then again, how that many people have voted already I don't know.....  fanboys voting before release?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
So are there any positive reviews of this movie?  

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/25/sucker.punch.review/
See, the suckers here are the poor mugs who leave their dollars at the door. And for what? A seedy, desaturated, overstimulated simulation of a real movie. Schlock treatment for comatose gamers, and a bomb with a bright pink cherry on top.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/4489929-421/sucker-punch-a-confusing-house-of-horrors-story-with-busty-women.html
Sitting through “Sucker Punch” was the most painful test of endurance since, well, “Drive Angry 3-D” last month. It’s like watching the Pussycat Dolls starring in “The Last Airbender” as filtered through the lens of “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,” all of it set to some really banging tunes from artists ranging from Bjork to the Beatles.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sucker-punch-2010/
Well, even if the critics have spoken/hurled (only 22% positive), I guess all the studios care about is the teenage boys (76% positive audience rating).  Then again, how that many people have voted already I don't know.....  fanboys voting before release?

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/03/24/movie-review-sucker-punch-is-thrilling-smart-and-deeply-flawed

I'd read that review. I watched it last night and I have to agree with everything he says and even though the movie is bad it's worth watching and worth defending.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
If I listened to the critics, I'd never go to the movies.
And believe me, in my previous incarnation in the entertainment media where I rubbed elbows with them all, they're nothing but a...a... a bunch of critics.  hitself

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »
If I listened to the critics, I'd never go to the movies.
And believe me, in my previous incarnation in the entertainment media where I rubbed elbows with them all, they're nothing but a...a... a bunch of critics.  hitself

Brude, there are plenty of times I do not bother with critics.  However, when they are all saying to expect what I was expecting (over-stylized mix of fast/slow motion with no story) and they are all panning it consistently, there would have to be a pretty compelling reason to doubt them.  Keep in mind I didn't care for 300 and while I have finally seen the Watchmen, I left feeling... meh. 

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
Brude, there are plenty of times I do not bother with critics.  However, when they are all saying to expect what I was expecting (over-stylized mix of fast/slow motion with no story) and they are all panning it consistently, there would have to be a pretty compelling reason to doubt them.  Keep in mind I didn't care for 300 and while I have finally seen the Watchmen, I left feeling... meh. 

Having seen it, I wouldn't go as far to say there is no story. The story is weak, but the purpose is stronger. Sucker Punch suffers from a poor script, likely because Zack Snyder knew his own vision so clearly and what he wanted to do that it was hard to break it down onto paper.

Sucker Punch's purpose seems to be methodically breaking down the last twenty years of geek fantasies. There's a reason this movie feels like a video game, or a comic book, etc. It's because the movie focuses so heavily on the fictional staples that geek culture embraces so heavily and then physically destroys them on film, likely to have the same effect psychologically.

There are four sequences, each isolating specific geek subcultures.

-Anime/"Japanese" Culture
-Steam Punk and Nazis
-Medieval Fantasy
-Outer Space Fantasy

The action vignettes are overloaded with phallic imagery and each sequence features women in cosplay physically destroying the entire universe. The opinion is rather split, but this is a movie about female empowerment. There isn't a male character in this movie that isn't a scummy bastard who should be repeatedly stabbed to death. The sexualized nature of the lead girls is a reflection of the era the film is set - the late 60s - and is a comment on sexualized feminist movement as a whole. This is touched on in the review I linked earlier.

Sucker Punch's downfall is its purpose was very ambitious and the weak script didn't carry the message or intention as well as it could have. The movie falls somewhat flat, but it is not a complete failure because some thought and reflection reveals everything I just explained. Sucker Punch will likely be embraced by many people for the wrong reasons which is in my opinion the largest and most unfortunate failure, but an educated mind can see Sucker Punch as an analysis of all geek subcultures people have taken for granted. Snyder is making a statement by destroying these recycled fantasies on film, but whether or not that statement is clear to its audience is debatable.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »

We shall see, Matt.
Different strokes for different folks.
I'm in the process of moving, so I won't be able to see it for about 2 weeks (damn).
I'll give you my review then.
I did watch 300 and WATCHMEN again this week.  Love 'em both.  wynk

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
Having seen it, I wouldn't go as far to say there is no story. The story is weak, but the purpose is stronger. Sucker Punch suffers from a poor script, likely because Zack Snyder knew his own vision so clearly and what he wanted to do that it was hard to break it down onto paper.

Sucker Punch's purpose seems to be methodically breaking down the last twenty years of geek fantasies. There's a reason this movie feels like a video game, or a comic book, etc. It's because the movie focuses so heavily on the fictional staples that geek culture embraces so heavily and then physically destroys them on film, likely to have the same effect psychologically.

There are four sequences, each isolating specific geek subcultures.

-Anime/"Japanese" Culture
-Steam Punk and Nazis
-Medieval Fantasy
-Outer Space Fantasy

The action vignettes are overloaded with phallic imagery and each sequence features women in cosplay physically destroying the entire universe. The opinion is rather split, but this is a movie about female empowerment.[/u] There isn't a male character in this movie that isn't a scummy bastard who should be repeatedly stabbed to death. The sexualized nature of the lead girls is a reflection of the era the film is set - the late 60s - and is a comment on sexualized feminist movement as a whole. This is touched on in the review I linked earlier.

Sucker Punch's downfall is its purpose was very ambitious and the weak script didn't carry the message or intention as well as it could have. The movie falls somewhat flat, but it is not a complete failure because some thought and reflection reveals everything I just explained. Sucker Punch will likely be embraced by many people for the wrong reasons which is in my opinion the largest and most unfortunate failure, but an educated mind can see Sucker Punch as an analysis of all geek subcultures people have taken for granted. Snyder is making a statement by destroying these recycled fantasies on film, but whether or not that statement is clear to its audience is debatable.

I'm not sure how many feminists you hang out with... but I think you would have a hard time arguing that chicks with guns kicking men's asses = female empowerment.  If anything it is more male fantasy to be dominated by hot women.  You can't have roles that 'play against stereotypes' without accepting and promoting the stereotypes to begin with.  Again, I haven't seen the movie, so maybe they actually do something unique with it... however, on the surface it sure looks like a boy's wet dream.... that is over-stylized and has a weak story.