Author Topic: Goodfellas price check  (Read 6635 times)

diesel

Goodfellas price check
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
I've been offered a used folded Goodfellas quad for £80.

It's my favourite film of all time and will one day adorn my wall.

Should I take this one or wait for one to come up on a no reserve auction??

guest8

Re: Goodfellas price check
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
I dont think Ive seen too many quads for that film pop up .. But that kind of poster folded .. i think it would ruin the image .. Id say hold out or try to find a rolled one sheet for about that price ..

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
I would personally search emovieposter, ebay and so on to see what completed auctions have gone for.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »
if its rolled, I would buy it

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
I dont think Ive seen too many quads for that film pop up .. But that kind of poster folded .. i think it would ruin the image .. Id say hold out or try to find a rolled one sheet for about that price ..

for the life of me I just don't understand why folds that are natural would bother someone so much that they wouldn't buy something they want

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »
for the life of me I just don't understand why folds that are natural would bother someone so much that they wouldn't buy something they want

I tend to wonder why posters that should not be folded,pop up on alot of listings as folded.
Goodfellas is a good example of this, this poster was never distributed folded in the UK originally,yet i see many posters out and about that have IMO been folded to give it an air of authenticity.

Stew

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 06:26:20 PM »
Pulp Fiction too.  I can't imagine theaters were still receiving folded posters in 1994... maybe I'm wrong though.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:59 PM »
Stew.. even though the majority of new posters are shipped rolled, almost every title also gets shipped folded to a small minority of locations and during the time of Goodfellas, the number posters shipped folded was much greater than it is today as it was a transitional period.

last week I had a guy turn down a NM Star Wars style-A because it was folded. well, good luck trying to find the same poster for the same price.

Folds don't bother me, I know how to deal with them. My preference is to lay lots of posters flat. Over time the folds reduce

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »
folded PF are generally authentic posters Harry, although I've only ever seen regular style in that form

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
Stew.. even though the majority of new posters are shipped rolled, almost every title also gets shipped folded to a small minority of locations and during the time of Goodfellas, the number posters shipped folded was much greater than it is today as it was a transitional period.

last week I had a guy turn down a NM Star Wars style-A because it was folded. well, good luck trying to find the same poster for the same price.

Folds don't bother me, I know how to deal with them. My preference is to lay lots of posters flat. Over time the folds reduce

Is that for 1 sheets?

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
Pulp Fiction too.  I can't imagine theaters were still receiving folded posters in 1994... maybe I'm wrong though.

No your not wrong.

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
yes sir

Then you know better than me bud,im talking about Quads.  thumbup

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
Gotta agree with Rich. I have no problem with folds. The folded posters I have framed look just fine that way and since I am not buying for investment( I buy em cause I want em!), Ill take em anyway I can get em  8)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
Zorba i kinda agree,if your poster is at the price range you want,then snap it up.
However if you know you can hold out for an unfolded example then all the better,i think £80 for a folded poster that never was folded originally,must surely be a stop gap or impulse purchase.
I would advise holding out for an unfolded example. there not that hard to find.

My 2 cents

stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Then you know better than me bud,im talking about Quads.  thumbup
Stew

Stew I'm sure the same situation rests with Quads or anything else. It's a matter of shipping. some places have difficult regulations. so you ship smaller. For instance, a Venatosaurus Attack Statue packed couldn't get shipped to Australia (size restriction.. too big) and if the size was a bit smaller it could only be shipped for $650. However, I was able to ship the same item after it sold to Hong Kong for only $132. Distance has got to be about the same. This is the main issue with shipping a rolled or folded item to some overseas locations and domestically, it also used to be easier to some remote locataions where an old guy in a jeep makes USPS deliveries over a 100 square mile area

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
Stew I'm sure the same situation rests with Quads or anything else. It's a matter of shipping. some places have difficult regulations. so you ship smaller. For instance, a Venatosaurus Attack Statue packed couldn't get shipped to Australia (size restriction.. too big) and if the size was a bit smaller it could only be shipped for $650. However, I was able to ship the same item after it sold to Hong Kong for only $132. Distance has got to be about the same. This is the main issue with shipping a rolled or folded item to some overseas locations and domestically, it also used to be easier to some remote locataions where an old guy in a jeep makes USPS deliveries over a 100 square mile area

Im unsure what your getting at,are you saying you would happily fold up an unfolded poster,just to save on shipping costs??

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »
no, I'm saying that small amounts of posters are factory folded for such reasons..

-------

guest8

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
As for the folded vs. rolled debate .. If someone is selling a folded poster for the same price as a rolled one would cost, I say get the rolled copy. ESPECIALLY .. if it is a more modern poster like Goodfellas .. the fact that its all black and would most definitely have horrid print cracks makes this a rolled copy only .. But older more vintage pieces had a different printing style and the image isnt effected as much .. and can add to the vintage feel. So in short .. IMHO .. I say pre 1980 folds can be fine (maybe good at times) after 1980 Id prefer rolled over folded. 

diesel

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 03:25:47 AM »
As for the folded vs. rolled debate .. If someone is selling a folded poster for the same price as a rolled one would cost, I say get the rolled copy. ESPECIALLY .. if it is a more modern poster like Goodfellas .. the fact that its all black and would most definitely have horrid print cracks makes this a rolled copy only .. But older more vintage pieces had a different printing style and the image isnt effected as much .. and can add to the vintage feel. So in short .. IMHO .. I say pre 1980 folds can be fine (maybe good at times) after 1980 Id prefer rolled over folded. 

I agree!

If I have a choice (like I did with a Dumb and Dumber teaser Quad), I'll take the rolled. I bought an original Star Wars and Empire poster folded and I haven't a problem with it and the folds make it look cool (and the fact I only paid £20 for it  ;))

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
No question. If its the same poster at relatively the same price the rolled one is the much better buy. Im just saying folds dont bother me.