Author Topic: She put me on a budget  (Read 7140 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
She put me on a budget
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »
 >:(

That's right!  The wife gave me a talk.  No free spending anymore.  I'm going to be on a budget for a while.  Apparently, we've got things to buy around the house.  She wants a new bathroom, new windows, etc... and my poster spending doesn't fit in the equation.  So I'm on a budget.  I've never been on a budget before.

Not a happy camper here.  I'm sure a lot of you guys are laughing.  I need to find new ways to fulfill my addiction.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dr Hackenbush

Re: She put me on a budget
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »
You can live vicariously through Mel once he returns.  I've been on a budget for months (which is why I haven't bought anything over that span), and it sucks but you get used to it.  It'll give you a chance to catch up on new movies or watch old favorites

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
Well, I won't be buying anything.  We're still trying to figure out what the budget is, because according to our new parameters, whatever I get, she gets.  The only good thing is that she likes to buy stuff for the house, which I enjoy.  Needless to say, she doesn't give a rat's ass about posters.

What this all means is that I'm going to have to think hard before I buy something.  Probably save for better pieces, and forget all that middle of the road crap.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
That's probably the best way to approach it.  All the middle-of-the-road stuff will be available at any point in the future, it's the hard-to-find items that you'd be kicking yourself if you missed.  So when you come across those "nice, but not necessary" posters, just suck it up and remember that you're waiting for something special

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »

That's right!  The wife gave me a talk.  No free spending anymore.  I'm going to be on a budget for a while.  Apparently, we've got things to buy around the house.  She wants a new bathroom, new windows, etc... and my poster spending doesn't fit in the equation.  So I'm on a budget.  I've never been on a budget before.

Not a happy camper here.  I'm sure a lot of you guys are laughing.  I need to find new ways to fulfill my addiction.

T

Weren't you on a budget a year ago?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »
This disease knows no boundaries...nor budgets...

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »
If push comes to shove, remember the sage advice of Sky Masterson from Guys and Dolls:

"The companionship of a doll is a pleasant thing even for a period of time running into months. But for a close relationship that can last us through all the years of our life, no doll can take the place of aces back to back [or a great addition to your poster collection]"!

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »

T

You probably should not ask Mel for advice ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
She's put you on a Budget!!! :o

I was going to post this in Latest Acquisitions, but it seems more appropriate here.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »

T

My condoloences..... ;)
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
My condoloences..... ;)

Mine too....but....I dont think you will ever be stopped.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »
Well, we just agreed on the amount, so I can still buy a few posters.  Half of what I was buying before, though.

Pain in the ass!!!
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
I'm sure you are an ace at valuation at this point... just take up buying-and-selling-for-profit to fund your main purchases. That is what I (in theory) do.  The trick is to actually sell the ones you told yourself you were only buying to sell... its funny how you get attached to posters once they are in your possession ;) 

Best of luck with the budget. No worries, it can't hurt any of us to be a little more discerning in our purchases...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 10:36:58 PM »
That's a good idea, but I absolutely HATE shipping.  Otherwise, trust me, I'd be selling a bunch of posters I couldn't care less about.  But the idea of buying tubes, packing posters, going to the post office, standing in line and dealing with these idio... sorry, people makes me mad.  So as a result, I hoard.

Thanks for the tip, though.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 11:38:43 AM »
You could do all of your selling from home .. order tubes in bulk online along with some craft paper and print out your own USPS shipping labels and just piss off the mail man when he drops off your mail and sees 50+ tubes that he now has to carry back to his truck :P

Honestly the hardest part is pulling the posters out of storage that alone would keep me from selling especially with a collection as large as yours .. although you are organized about how you do yours (which I am NOT!)

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
Or, instead of getting a part-time or full-time job selling movie posters, you could do as over 600 others have done, and ship them off to us and we do the rest!

woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo

Bruce

guest8

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »
Or, instead of getting a part-time or full-time job selling movie posters, you could do as over 600 others have done, and ship them off to us and we do the rest!

Bruce

Now I dont know the auction "industry" But youve only had 600 different consignors ? That seems like a small amount to me .. Seems like thered be thousands with all the material you have up weekly ..

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
I'd guess 600 consignors but many with HUGE consignments...
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »

Bruce

Bruce, if I ever sold, they would come to you for sure.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »
Actually, that is what I was talking about T.  I didn't mean to imply you should sell your existing collection... but I imagine at this point you can spot original, undervalued posters on places like eBay no problem.  Just use your budget to buy them and flip them (either directly or through Bruce, Rich, Dave, etc...).  After a few few months your budget will be quite a bit larger and you can go after bigger fish to flip as well as nice posters to buy outright.  It is nice knowing that most of my poster collection has paid for itself.... at least in theory.  As mentioned, I'm still sitting on a pile of posters I bought only for investment purposes! 

Granted, a $300 BAT did help kick things off a teensy bit...

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
I have had several consignors give me over 20,000 posters (good, bad, and ugly) and I have had several $1,000,000+ consignors, and several in the $500,000+ range.

But when you auction 2,000 or so items a week, you endlessly need more consignments!

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
But when you auction 2,000 or so items a week, you endlessly need more consignments!
Bruce

Bruce is right about that. I'm endlessly seeking out collections and warehouse lots.. it's alot of work

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Meansheets

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
This is why we need more female poster collectors -- they're better shoppers and can spread the word about the art and aesthetics of vintage movie posters. Also, not to be sexist, but let's face it, most women are generally in charge of the interior decorating duties in the majority of hetero households. (Except mine, of course--ha, ha!)

If the hobby's going to grow, it's gotta get more women on board!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
Also, not to be sexist, but let's face it, most women are generally in charge of the interior decorating duties in the majority of hetero households. (Except mine, of course--ha, ha!)

My woman doesnt do any of the poster framing in my place either. I do the butcher job myself....she does get a veto though as I want to wake up alive ;)