Author Topic: How Do You Hang a Three Sheet and How Many People  (Read 9289 times)

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
How Do You Hang a Three Sheet and How Many People
« on: June 23, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Hello,

Today I mounted a Three Sheet frame and hung a three sheet.  The hanging was not a piece of cake.  This went into a snap frame and ended up taking three of us to do it.

I had trouble keeping the two sections together but did not want to tape the poster.

It was quite awkward to carry from bed (the largest flat surface I have) to the frame.

And getting the sides even to clamp was quite a job.

I love it now that it is up, but I am not looking forward to doing it again sometime when I swap out the poster.

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade that you could share please?

Thank you,
Matthew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: How Do You Hang a Three Sheet and How Many People
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
I haven't used a snap frame, but I have mounted several with conventional frame rails.  Trust me, it is always a multi-person PITA.  Getting everything aligned and sandwiched between plexi and foamboard always seems to take a half day.

One thing I thought I'd mention.  The first couple of times I mounted one of these beasts, I did not tape the halves together.  In both cases, the bottom half worked its way down and no longer aligned over about a year's time.  I would absolutely use archival tape, at least on edges and center.
-Jay-

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:17:49 AM »
Hello Matthew,

I like to drill two new holes lower down on the snap frame, screw on eyelets that take a nut and washer, and then use framing wire between the eyelets.  Then, I put two 50lb frame hangers into the wall. I put the poster in the frame before hanging it. Finally, I hang the frame onto the two frame hangers on the wall, and center the frame.  This has always worked for me.  I like the Cinema Wide snap frame from Spotlight Displays.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »
Hello,

Today I mounted a Three Sheet frame and hung a three sheet.  The hanging was not a piece of cake.  This went into a snap frame and ended up taking three of us to do it.

I had trouble keeping the two sections together but did not want to tape the poster.

It was quite awkward to carry from bed (the largest flat surface I have) to the frame.

And getting the sides even to clamp was quite a job.

I love it now that it is up, but I am not looking forward to doing it again sometime when I swap out the poster.

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade that you could share please?

Thank you,
Matthew

Hey Matthew, I would suggest using archival tape to secure the 2 pieces together. It wont harm or stain the paper, is pH balanced and made for doing repairs or this kind of work. Plus, once secured this way, there is less chance for the section to slip down inside the frame.

Brands like Lineco:

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Archival-Document-Repair-Tape/dp/B000P8FT2G/ref=asc_df_B000P8FT2G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126147920&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16519196380682896260&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061105&hvtargid=pla-338126302524&psc=1

or Filmoplast P90 Mending Tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Neschen-Filmoplast-Archival-Mending-Tape/dp/B0090N21IC

-Jeff

Offline Ghastly

• Beginner
    • The Haunted Cinema
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
I just hung my Evil of Frankenstein 3 Sheet, it is simply amazing.

I did a couple "How-to" articles on my site, talking about framing 3 sheets. I break down the materials needed and costs.

http://thehauntedcinema.com/interviews-and-reviews/f/framing-a-three-sheet-movie-poster-pt-2---materials

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 08:04:42 AM »
Beautiful Three Sheet.  Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  I am noticing already very slight separation so next time I will definitely tape the pieces together with that special tape. 

Bruce has an upcoming auction of three sheets.  If I see something good I might try for it and swap it out using the suggestions. 

Thanks again,
Matthew

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
Great 3sh Ghastly! Always like the colors on that one. Now off to read http://thehauntedcinema.com/interviews-and-reviews/f/framing-a-three-sheet-movie-poster-pt-2---materials

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
Looks awesome, Ghastly!  >:D thumbsup.gif

And not a stitch of linen to be found anywhere on that 3sh, either.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
I like those three stacked up dude heads admiring Frankie, Ghastly!  Okie