Author Topic: Glenn Cravath artist  (Read 1636 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Glenn Cravath artist
« on: January 27, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »
I didn't see a Glenn Cravath artist thread so here we go.   Here's a picture of a couple of Glenn Cravath possible Tarzan and His Mate billboard poster designs that I really enjoy.  These came out of the Cravath estate around 15 years ago when Cravath's estate started entering the market.  Some beautiful Cravath designs have spread out among collectors including designs from King Kong, The Phantom, Spider and many others.  Cravath also dabbled in comics and some newspaper work. He did some interesting work for Frank Buck as well.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Glenn Cravath artist
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »
I wanted to capture erik1925's question and my response in this thread as well.

Quote from: erik1925 on Today at 11:21:21 AM
I noticed in your post that you say these are possible Tarzan & His Mate designs. They certainly look like Tarzan imagery. So is the question about which film specifically they might be for? Or more a question that they were actual billboard designs? Or maybe done for something else associated with the film
?

Good questions.  When these designs first came to light,  I corresponded with some long time ERB collectors, including  George McWhorter, about these designs.  Based on the dimensions of the design, content, and Jane's clothing, a possible Tarzan and His Mate billboard design made sense.  It's also interesting to consider that Tarzan Escapes at one point was to be Jane's demise as Maureen O'Sullivan  had expressed a desire to leave the role.  These designs also compliment Tarzan Escapes, except for Jane's clothing.  Of course,  the censors may not have  put the hammer down on Jane's clothing when the advertising designs started.  The dimensions of the art are similar to other billboard designs at this stage.  It would be great if anyone had an image of a billboard/other advertising that used these designs. It would be great to know definitively how these designs were used as just ideas or actual product. As an ERB buff, I'm very glad these designs survived and that the colors are still strong after approximately 80 years.  Other thoughts are very welcome!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
George McWhorter - great guy. Definitely a promoter of ERB. When I lived back East I did a Burroughs Dum-Dum in Louisville that George headed.
the museum at the university was a bit small though

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »
Yes, a lot of ERB goodies in a small museum.  Or, are there so many goodies that the space just seems small?