Author Topic: Heritage condition descriptions: Bringing the LOLs since 1976  (Read 24992 times)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Heritage condition descriptions: Bringing the LOLs since 1976
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
If this is a C6 then the whole scale is broken.

This is the point I agree with - and why I showed an example of the HA 5.0.
If that Dylan poster is a 5.0, then one could argue that your piece is undergraded.

(and I also agreed that when you look at the regular size photo, Indy looks fine. The warning signs are all there on the blow-up, but yes you have to know what you are looking at).

We need consistent grades/grading system that is used by all dealers.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »
Although it is time consuming, why not just describe a poster's flaws in as much detail as possible vs. a blanket grade?  All this "may have this" or "may have that" doesn't help all that much in determining what one is actually buying.

The state of Ben's Indy is ridiculous vs. what the vacuum tabled, colour-boosted picture attempted to convey
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:20:52 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »
Hi Ben, I also backlight all linen backed posters I buy from all sources.  We have restoration so amazing now that from just the normal images of the front you just can't see the defects.  I'm glad there is fantastic restoration, and a good backlight is my friend to help see original condition. Fortunately, I've been treated fairly when I've found major undescribed defects. I'm wishing you some good poster mojo!!!   Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
I hate that they use the word "fine" so early on in their scale.  When I think of fine I think top of the line, like "Fine" art, "fine wine" etc., so the best of art, the best of wine, etc.  I know they also use it to grade comics, but from an etymology perspective i'm not sure this is the correct use.

If folks are coming up with a universal scale can we please not use it?   thumbsup.gif

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2020, 01:20:45 AM »
"Although it is time consuming, why not just describe a poster's flaws in as much detail as possible vs. a blanket grade?"

This

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »
"Although it is time consuming, why not just describe a poster's flaws in as much detail as possible vs. a blanket grade?"

This

it isn't humanly possible to do this when you sell 500 items a week, or 3000 every other week.
Unless you hire more people that is, but then, you have to raise buyer premium, or something else in order to justify the extra costs involved with more employees

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2020, 10:24:23 PM »
it isn't humanly possible to do this when you sell 500 items a week, or 3000 every other week.
Unless you hire more people that is, but then, you have to raise buyer premium, or something else in order to justify the extra costs involved with more employees

Or you could just sell 60% of all your items at a loss, and run your business as a goodwill gesture for collectors and not worry about making money.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2020, 01:50:13 AM »
THIS IS IT!!!  Post 1980 posters should be mint.  Period.

Why did you even bother to buy a 6, Ben?  Makes no sense to me.  I know you wanted it, but a 6 should always be a no go.  ESPECIALLY post 1980.

I couldn't agree with this more. Willing to buy lower graded stuff? Suck it up.

Or you could just sell 60% of all your items at a loss, and run your business as a goodwill gesture for collectors and not worry about making money.

Oh yeah... This is everyone's dealer dream you know. There is nothing like spending $500 working for 4 days getting stuff described for buyers who only want to bid five bucks and have you sell your investment for $250.

Then there is the other side of the coin in this business: when a dealer doesn't describe something correctly (in your opinion, or reality) and rather than take the time to return it for a full refund, which you can with absolutely no problem, the customer doesn't bother just so they can bitch about it for 3 full years and then stand on a soapbox stating "I'll never buy anything from them again" when you probably haven't bought anything from them in the ensuing 3 years anyway. That's like someone who doesn't shop at Wal Mart saying they are going to boycott Wal Mart, or Chic-Fil-A, or whatever other place they never go to.

Personally, if I was going to be bitching about someone forever, I would have at least gotten my refund, so it didn't cost me $131 to bitch.
a smart person would at least have gotten his money back.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:35:24 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 11:04:26 AM »
Lol Rich, as usual you never disappoint...your constant ability to either steer topics or discussions random/odd ways, all the while making it about you to an extent, is really exceptional.

I started this thread about HA grading re: a recent experience I had, so I can bitch all I want to...we all can, its the point of a forum, which you already know..we have had the displeasure of reading your endless whining diatribes over the years across multiple forums. Its amazing there are still people dripping in as new members from time to time, or that you haven't completely chased everyone away from internet poster discussion in general.  Your arrogant, obnoxious, and demeaning persona online has had to have driven away a substantial number of folks from the hobby in general or at least being vocal about it in places like this one.
Also, feel free to start a poster dealer/solidarity/'Woe is Me' thread at some point...I'll chime in!

The poster itself isn't the issue. The money isn't an issue. I don't want to return it. I will keep looking for another one.
If I returned it I still would have posted this thread, because after all, the point you (as usual) miss is:

The state of Ben's Indy is ridiculous vs. what the vacuum tabled, colour-boosted picture attempted to convey

A smart person would at least have gotten that point out of all this talk.

Also, comparing a poster auction house like HA for a niche hobby like unnecessary/frivolous movie posters to a huge box store chain like Wal Mart where people purchase necessities is an amazing leap, even for you. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:12:09 AM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »
I couldn't agree with this more. Willing to buy lower graded stuff? Suck it up.

So you only sell "Mint" post-1980 posters?

If not, why do you sell them?
- Eric