Author Topic: MPF  (Read 10169 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
MPF
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
Is that forum completely dead?

I feel a little sad because 1) I used to call it home, and 2) It's not good for the hobby.  There should be enough nerds to keep the 3 forums alive (I'm not counting MOPO, which is mainly a dealer platform).

On another note, thank you so much to all of you for keeping ours alive.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: MPF
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »
Interesting question, Thierry.

On the plus side this forum is doing very well and is far more active than the others.  On the negative side, this forum has not succeeded in its mission to expand beyond movie posters. 99% of the posts concern original movie posters and graphic art movie posters.  I'm not sure it can expand beyond movie posters because EBeans (art posters) and GigPosters (rockposters) are 800 pound gorillas and will continue to dominate those subjects.  

MPF is dead but is still attracting most of the "newbies."  Andy will continue that forum so long as he's getting advertising $. So the newbies go there, see nothing is happening, and lose interest, unless we can "poach" them to this forum.  The advertisers continue to advertise there because they know it is getting the newbies and there is no other advertising outlet.

MOPO is still in the stone age of the Internet. It will not attract new members.    

NS4 seems pretty dead too.  What happened over there?

Solution: All the forums need to merge into one forum (with modern Internet plumbing) devoted to movie posters.  The head honchos need to have a "meeting of the families" to work it out.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »
NS4 seems pretty dead too.  What happened over there?

My guess would be general rudeness... I like to read it cause its funny when people act like gutless assholes but in the end a little bit of friendly goes so much further.

Yes!. I am drinking  ;D

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
Mel is mostly correct. But I can add.. none of these forums is all that large to begin with. It doesn't matter if there are 10,000 buyers, if only 350 of themlook at the totality of the forums regularly and only 25 or so are regular posting members. However Mel - it would not be a good thing to merge them, though it might be a good thing to get them all working together. 4x the forums means 4x the exposure

I will add this: I get more referrals to MPB from MPF than all of the other forums combined

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »
and I should add.. when will APF make it easier to post FS by having the data entry in HTML so I can just copy & paste like I do to all three of the other forums

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:17:10 PM »
MOPO is still in the stone age of the Internet. It will not attract new members.    

I subscribe to MOPO. All MOPO emails go to my folder called 'MOPO' in my email client. It currently has 16375 MOPO emails in it. As a casual visitor, I would never be able to notice a personal email amongst the other email posts. So if anyone has sent me an email, sorry, there is little chance of me seeing it. It is probably a useful forum for long term members who have stuck at it from when it was smaller, not so friendly for newbies. For me it would be so much better if it were like other forums with posts categorised together and also PM's in a nice seperate area. I read messages via the web page interface, not the emails. I miss out on the image attachments in emails as they dont appear on the web page, nor seeing sharing of email addresses (they get obfusticated on web page). I guess it works for those that are there, but not for me... Maybe is a good way for them to keep out newbies, keeping it a more closed group? Well the big thing for me is that I wont see private emails to me as they get buried in the mass.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
 On the negative side, this forum has not succeeded in its mission to expand beyond movie posters.

Sadly, yes.  There's just not enough time to nurture it, and frankly, I just don't have the patience to do so.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:22 AM »
My guess would be general rudeness... I like to read it cause its funny when people act like gutless assholes but in the end a little bit of friendly goes so much further.

Yes!. I am drinking  ;D

NSFGE ebbs and flows.  Labor Day weekend has always been slow time on the forum, but it has slowed down in general because a few of the longtime contributors have had to scale back their participation... Ves gained the ultimate time-suck, a kid, Shelly hopped Islands, Ari is on a walkabout and Anthony has just up and dissappeared (I sure hope he's doing OK, Ohio is a tough place to be right now).

Friendly or not, NSFGE is as genuine as it gets on the net.  Some people find that refreshing and stay around, others bolt to happy duckies & bunny lands like MPF & Expresso Beans.  Malakas like you ought to know that... :)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »

Friendly or not, NSFGE is as genuine as it gets on the net.  Some people find that refreshing and stay around, others bolt to happy duckies & bunny lands like MPF & Expresso Beans.  Malakas like you ought to know that... :)

Like I said I read it. Almost every day for many months now. There is some good stuff on there. I have found plenty of very helpful threads with some very informative posts. Including a few by you.

This malaka ( I am what I am  :-[) was just giving what I believed was an honest evaluation of why that place is less active than it is. A few less beers an I would have been a little less a jackass in the wording ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
I do not know how to lure different collectors to this forum.  I posted a bunch of times on EB, with a link to our forum in my signature area, but it didn't help.  I did the same on a few other forums.  I don't know how else to do it.  Also, I don't know why MPF gets so many newbies that post once and disappear.  That doesn't make any sense to me either.  And why don't these newbies find our forum?  Holiday and I are very strict about who we let in, and we've made a bunch of mistakes, because we don't want spam.  So I'd assume that some people with weird emails got the boot when they were legit.

This is all a work in progress, I guess.

What I do know is that we've managed to get diversity amongst our members, some seasoned collectors, some new to the hobby, some from MPF, some from NS4, and that ain't bad for a 9 month old forum.  So this to me is a success.

If anyone wants to promote this forum elsewhere, be my guest.  And if you have ideas about how to expend our product, do speak.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
Well I had no intentions of joining a Poster forum, I was happy collecting what I liked, and didn't care what others thought. That was until last Christmas while looking through poster sites I came across this site, Liked the look of it, well set out, easy to use, the people who had posted seemed jollyfine so I thought what the hell I'll join.  So if an anti-forum guy like me has joined, I think it's only time and you may be wishing there was less of us ;D

9 months is not a long time and the site is first rate. One big happy family, the black sheep has left home, It's just like the real world cheers 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:45:23 PM »
Hey T & Holiday,

Why not expand the forum with Home Theaters section. I think it would be safe to assume that a majority of us collect posters because we love to watch movies and enjoy to watch them on our own personal home setups. My thoughts are that people who don't collect posters but enjoy watching movies could easily catch the bug of collecting if they simply knew that there is hobby of collecting movie posters. I think there are some members here who probably belong to a few of those forums (i do not) that could easily spread the word. Those who end up joining from any home theater forum would probably be more willing to join if they had a section to post in that they are already comfortable with talking about.

Cj

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »
NSFGE ebbs and flows.  Labor Day weekend has always been slow time on the forum, but it has slowed down in general because a few of the longtime contributors have had to scale back their participation... Ves gained the ultimate time-suck, a kid, Shelly hopped Islands, Ari is on a walkabout and Anthony has just up and dissappeared (I sure hope he's doing OK, Ohio is a tough place to be right now).

:o  Hahahaha!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »
I don't like to post threads from other forums...something about that kind of cross-pollination bothers me...
But this is the kind of shit that has turned me off from NS4...
http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/7460

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
Unfortunately Brude that post is hitting at least close to the truth...
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Chris, it is thoughtless and inconsiderate to the victims and families of 9/11.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
I agree with Ted.  As much as I disagree with the aftermath of 9/11, we should not mix the issues.  That post was to reflect on 9/11, not on anything else.  In that sense, it is disrespectful.  This said. Ted, it is one member's post, and should not be used to criticize an entire forum (IMO).

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
I like Bob, but his post is insensitive - true or not

concerning the forums.. I dont think anyone has enough time to bother with much forum posting. I couldn't possibly be involved in all of them  except infrequently..

But I really mean it when I say WHY DON'T HOLIDAY & THIERRY CONVERT THIS FORUM TO BE ABLE TO POST IN HTML.. POSTING FS POSTS IS  A MAJOR PAIN WITHOUT THAT OPTION

ARE YOU GUYS READING THIS????

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »

But I really mean it when I say WHY DON'T HOLIDAY & THIERRY CONVERT THIS FORUM TO BE ABLE TO POST IN HTML.. POSTING FS POSTS IS  A MAJOR PAIN WITHOUT THAT OPTION

Yeah.... lets wreck this place..... ;D

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
Well I don't understand why Gigposters & ExpressoBeans have bazillions of members and none of the movie poster forums singly or collectively come close to their size.  I would assume movie posters is just as large a hobby as art prints and rock posters.  Seems to me one consolidated movie poster forum would eventually get to their size.

And yes Expresso is boring as hell.  Reading through the Alamo thread over there is like Chinese water torture.   

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
Like I said I read it. Almost every day for many months now. There is some good stuff on there. I have found plenty of very helpful threads with some very informative posts. Including a few by you.

This malaka ( I am what I am  :-[) was just giving what I believed was an honest evaluation of why that place is less active than it is. A few less beers an I would have been a little less a jackass in the wording ;)

No worries... I only use the word 'malaka' amongst friends.  

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
No worries... I only use the word 'malaka' amongst friends.  

Exactly  :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
Well I don't understand why Gigposters & ExpressoBeans have bazillions of members and none of the movie poster forums singly or collectively come close to their size.  I would assume movie posters is just as large a hobby as art prints and rock posters.

oh no Mel.. this is so completely wrong you have no idea. Art posters covers everything from 18th century tipped-in plates to vintage advertising to Thomas Kincaid trash. It also includes places like Wal-Mart that sell plain Monet posters for $10. Most "art" galleries wouldn't have anything to do with 99.99999999% of movie posters, but they almost all do sell printed artwork of some manner. Another way to examplify the size of such a market: you can find art galleries that sell art prints in almost every shopping mall across the US. How many poster stores will you find??

The movie poster market is one of the smallest markets around in number of participants. I do not include the ocassional buyer who wants to put something over the couch, or in his frat house - they aren't collectors.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
oh no Mel.. this is so completely wrong you have no idea. Art posters covers everything from 18th century tipped-in plates to vintage advertising to Thomas Kincaid trash.

But Expresso only covers a relatively narrow range of graphic art prints/posters and GigPosters only covers a relatively narrow range of music prints/posters.  My point is that there is one dominant forum for each of those subjects and they are thriving.  Having four separate forums for movie poster collecting is untenable and possibly harming the hobby. At most two are warranted - one for dealers, one for collectors.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:11 PM »
I like Bob, but his post is insensitive - true or not

concerning the forums.. I dont think anyone has enough time to bother with much forum posting. I couldn't possibly be involved in all of them  except infrequently..

After your first post, Rich, I took a look and found the answer.  After your second post, I rubbed my ass and put the answer into effect.  The board allows basic html in a post.  I don't know where the limit is, for beyond the limit, html is not allows because of the security risks involved (don't even ask me what - that's what I read).  Apparently, BBS code was developed to get around the security risks of using html

Anyway, try it out and let us know how it works.

H

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.