Author Topic: WTC 9-11  (Read 4543 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
WTC 9-11
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »
Just finished watching NYC Mayor Bloomberg's World Trade Center memorial speech and a blow-by-blow account of that horrific morning.

As one of millions of New Yorkers, I watched them build those towers from scratch years ago.  The city was filled with cranes and big movers for years it seemed. Thousands of people worked on that project and shortly before it opened, they would let us roller-skate inside on certain floors.

When it opened, my Dad had an office there with the NYS Dept. of Health. He worked there for many years and -- thankfully -- was retired years before those scumbags took it down.

In remembrance of the great old WTC, I wanted to post the only two movie posters I have that featured those magnificent buildings.

Please post yours....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: WTC 9-11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »
Great topic, Brudeskie.  I have the King Kong.  I don't have the Man on Wire posters but they are the ones to beat:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
Great topic and awesome story.

I did a quick search throughout the 80s on my site, and this is what I found...

But my all time fav is from the 70s...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
That Kong poster is Amazing, I want one.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
Great poster images guys and I agree a very interesting topic!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »
That Japanese KONG poster is extraordinary.
Leave it to Thierry to dig up some great posters.  I had forgotten the WTC was on so many titles...awesome.

Mel, those MAN ON WIRE posters made me dizzy.  I had never seen them before and now I have to hunt a few down....

Now, this isn't a poster, but it is a t-shirt that some enterprising NYC cartoonist slapped together in 1993 after those scumbags tried to bring the towers down the first time. 
I got it back in the day, wore it a few times and then retired it because it was beginning to fade...never saw another one so I figured you'd like a look...
First pic is the front, second the back...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »
I have this somewhat ridiculous habit of saving newspapers for given moments in history...  The Olympics, the Lakers, USC, presidential elections, wars, tsunamis, and 9/11.

This next one is interesting.  This is the very LAST picture printed of the WTC.  It was at the back of the Wall Street Journal, circa 9/10/01.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
i was actualy on a plane while all this was going on..... still have my boarding pass somewhere...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »

Were these produced?  I have the other one, but this is the first I'm seeing these.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
Were these produced?  I have the other one, but this is the first I'm seeing these.

I have only seen the one with the side shot of him walking the wire from a distance. 1st for me as well on this style.

Cj

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:47:50 AM »
Several people have been asking about the Man On Wire.  Here are the various official versions that AllCityMedia created for it.  Check out these unpublished "designer's cuts":

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:00:39 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »