Author Topic: My Poster Horror Story!  (Read 21708 times)

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
My Poster Horror Story!
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:36:29 AM »
Two weekends ago, on a Sunday evening, I had the idea of changing one of my framed posters out. I’d had my Alien half-sheet framed 5-years previously. UV protective plexiglass with acid free foamboard were requested, and along with a Blade Runner 1-sheet became my first framed posters to grace the walls of my house.

The Framing Company did a wonderful job, and over the last 3-years I’ve had 3 further items framed, 2 x Stanley Donwood signed prints, and my Kill Bill Desert B1, all sitting pretty on my walls.

Well, I pulled down the framed Alien half-sheet, un-taped the back, gently removed each tack, eagerly anticipating replacing this poster with my mint condition Jaws half-sheet. This seemed quite a breeze. Then I pulled the foamboard out, the poster moving with it as one.

My stomach dropped as I turned the foamboard to find the poster glued to the surface. My God, drybacking! I looked up at my Kill Bill Desert and nearly choked. Cold sweats, swearing, inconsolable, you name it, I was feeling it. It took me half an hour before I could look at the poster more closely, upon which I found the poster had not only been glued to the board but had been trimmed by ½ inch (1/4 inch each border), rendering the frame also useless for any other half sheet. Increase the blood boil!!

I couldn’t look at the other framed works, I just loosely framed the Alien back up, and retired to my bedroom, for one very sleepless Sunday night.

Roll on to Monday morning, I call the Framing Company and speak to the owner. I explain the whole sorry story, and confirm how inconsolable I was to think some of my prized pieces were possibly rendered worthless by their actions. Why would you glue a poster to the board without being instructed, especially when being paid extra for UV protection, etc? Why would you then trim the poster without the owners consent? And was this standard practice, were my Desert B1 and Donwood prints also glued?

No clear answers, just a whole lot of contradictory gibberish in reply! “HOW COULD THIS BE!!! I explained how valuable these items were; see the quality of the paper, what have you done!!!!”

I told him I’d drop all the framed items down to his workshop, he would open and inspect each, and report back the damage. I couldn’t bear to look. And if all had been ruined, he had better be prepare for a hefty claim, as the Desert B1 and Donwood prints would be incredibly difficult to replace. I was looking for a miracle.

The subsequent week followed with a number of excuses as to why the inspection was delayed, resignation sinking in with every day passing. Each day I rang, “any news”, “not yet”. On it went until Friday.

Finally, feedback. The Blade Runner 1-sheet and Alien ½ sheet (Framed at the same time) had been glued, but the Desert B1 and Donwood prints were as good as new. My relief was indescribable. We agreed to a meeting on the following Monday, so I could inspect all the posters, and agree a settlement a way forward. Relieved? I can’t tell you. 

The meeting actually turned out far better than I expected. I was invited to tour their workshops, the owner clearly explained the chain of events, and we agreed a fair settlement. A former employee was responsible for the drybacking, and that certainly was not common practice.

All my posters were re-framed, the Blade Runner and Alien just representing pictures now, and my Dollars Trilogy Tatekan posters were to be framed as compensation for the ruined 2-posters. Having seen the workshops and the current archival quality materials and workmanship first hand, my confidence was restored.

So that’s my horror story. Lesson learnt, you can’t be too explicit when explaining your poster framing requirements, to the point of getting the details down in writing. But what a lesson! Trust me, to witness a poster glued to a piece of board is quite a shattering experience for a poster collector. Anyway, at least I can look at my Desert B1 without choking.

I’ll post photos of the framed Dollars trilogy when received.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: My Poster Horror Story!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:43:10 AM »
Ouch, thats no good.  I am glad it all turned out ok for you in the end.  I definitely went through great pains to explain to the the framer that "this cannot be replaced, do not drymount or trim even an eighth of an inch from any side."  I also asked them to leave the back removable as a clue that I would be inspecting it when I got home.  I never had any issues, but I seem to be one of the lucky ones.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:18:48 AM »
Now this is a Horror story. I'm glad it worked out O.K. for you. This is why I have my frames made to my spec and I put the posters in myself.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:28:53 AM »
Now this is a Horror story. I'm glad it worked out O.K. for you. This is why I have my frames made to my spec and I put the posters in myself.

That is what I do, also.  After having couple bad experiences with a framer, I will most likely never give someone else my poster to let them frame.  We live and learn from our mistakes, and we are more wise afterward.     

A couple of nice things about putting the posters in yourself is that you can switch posters, and you can remove the posters from the frames when moving the frames to a different location, as I would highly recommend doing, so the posters don't get messed up.

It sounds like the framer you are dealing with did a good job in earning your trust back, idioteque.  Hopefully everything will work out well on your framing quest.  :D 
If you ever need any tips on framing stuff, let me know, as I have some experience with framing. 

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:56 AM »
Living in little old New Zealand my framing options are relatively limited. I spent quite some time picking this particular framing company, researching in detail myself archival framing techniques. I fully relayed my framing requirements and the rare nature of the material being framed. And I still got burned.

If I hadn't decided to change out a poster, I would still remain none the wiser.

So I guess Paul's advice to get the custom frames made and insert the posters yourself seems the most sound. It's funny how you can't see the wood for the trees sometimes.

Still, after all the trauma, my framer is fully onboard and supportive. A fair result all considered.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
Just reading your story made my blood boil....

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
Hey Steve,

I am glad everything worked out for you in the end. It is a shame that it happened to begin with but at least the "Desert" and Donwood prints are ok. The reality is it could have been a lot worse but thankful it was not.

When I was reading and saw the picture of the "Desert"...my mind was screaming NOooooooo!!! Then I read the good news.

Cj

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
Wow...That is an ugly story. Glad it turned out well enough in the end.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
A former employee was responsible for the drybacking...

Ah, that classic chestnut.  A million years ago I did computerized litigation support for large, complex cases, and whenever somebody screwed up the standard response from the lawyers was "That person is no longer with the firm."  Now, as a joke, that's my standard response to any crisis situations.

Stuff like this makes me want to cry.  These posters survive for years only to be botched by some rube.  It's too bad you're in EnZed, (actually not, I wish I lived there) but for those in the US there is really no reason to have your posters done by anybody but Sue at Hollywood Poster Frames.  She's one of us, has amazing prices, and service, and knows what these mean to us.  </unpaidplug>

--Peter

For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »
Hey Steve,

After I fell out of my seat with a stomach ache reading half of your post I got back up and finished reading it. Damn lucky is all I can say. I've had some professionally framed and all has been fine, but I do all of my own framing now with spotlight displays and build my own lightboxes. You can even buy materials from the professional framing shops and put your own stuff together if need be. I remember call the framing shop asking everyday - you guys are dry mounting my posters are you? It that was on a Last Samurai International One Sheet - haha.

I'm glad the Desert is intact. Even though I already have one, I'm glad it didn't go down in flames. I'd hate to see one less of those around.

Did you linenback the last tatekan of the Dollar Trilogy? Because if not I'd like to see how that comes out compared to the ones that are linenbacked.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:46:40 PM »
Unbelievable!

But this just further supports my actions in always framing my own posters...
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
Just reading your story made my blood boil....

Brude.. that spinning must make it easy to brush your teeth.. all 10 sets of them

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
Brude.. that spinning must make it easy to brush your teeth.. all 10 sets of them

You should see me eat corn on the cob....  laugh1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
Unbelievable!

But this just further supports my actions in always framing my own posters...

Or don't exhibit your posters at all.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:24 PM »
Peter, would you believe I actually printed the info off Hollywood Poster Frames website to assist my Framer. That obviously didn't filter through to the guy who framed the Alien and Blade Runner posters.

Cj, I knew the sight of that Desert B1 would make your hair curl in terms of my sad story.

And Chad, as a fellow Desert B1 owner you surely felt my pain.

As I've said, things turned out reasonable in the end, as it certainly looked a whole lot worse at one stage. However, 2 very nice posters, the Blade Runner especially, have been ruined. Sad indeed.

Chad, i'll post the photos of the framed Dollars Trilogy Tatekans when framing complete. You'll see the comparison of line-back next to original 2-piece (Fistful was non-linenbacked), as they will be mounted side by side on my living room walls.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
Chad, i'll post the photos of the framed Dollars Trilogy Tatekans when framing complete. You'll see the comparison of line-back next to original 2-piece (Fistful was non-linenbacked), as they will be mounted side by side on my living room walls.

Very cool!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »
A former employee was responsible for the drybacking...

Ah, that classic chestnut.  A million years ago I did computerized litigation support for large, complex cases, and whenever somebody screwed up the standard response from the lawyers was "That person is no longer with the firm."  Now, as a joke, that's my standard response to any crisis situations.

That was my first thought, as well...

Did his sacking have anything to do with Llamas?

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
That was my first thought, as well...

Did his sacking have anything to do with Llamas?

This is a fair response. Sucker anyone! I hear ya.

But the fact that the main 3 posters were non drymounted, combined with the tour of his workshops convinced me of the general quality of the place. So, fool or not, I accepted his explanation.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
Or don't exhibit your posters at all.

Not all of us have such choice pieces we jealously hide away in the dark ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
Two weekends ago, on a Sunday evening, I had the idea of changing one of my framed posters out. I’d had my Alien half-sheet framed 5-years previously. UV protective plexiglass with acid free foamboard were requested, and along with a Blade Runner 1-sheet became my first framed posters to grace the walls of my house.

The Framing Company did a wonderful job, and over the last 3-years I’ve had 3 further items framed, 2 x Stanley Donwood signed prints, and my Kill Bill Desert B1, all sitting pretty on my walls.

Well, I pulled down the framed Alien half-sheet, un-taped the back, gently removed each tack, eagerly anticipating replacing this poster with my mint condition Jaws half-sheet. This seemed quite a breeze. Then I pulled the foamboard out, the poster moving with it as one.

My stomach dropped as I turned the foamboard to find the poster glued to the surface. My God, drybacking! I looked up at my Kill Bill Desert and nearly choked. Cold sweats, swearing, inconsolable, you name it, I was feeling it. It took me half an hour before I could look at the poster more closely, upon which I found the poster had not only been glued to the board but had been trimmed by ½ inch (1/4 inch each border), rendering the frame also useless for any other half sheet. Increase the blood boil!!

I couldn’t look at the other framed works, I just loosely framed the Alien back up, and retired to my bedroom, for one very sleepless Sunday night.

Roll on to Monday morning, I call the Framing Company and speak to the owner. I explain the whole sorry story, and confirm how inconsolable I was to think some of my prized pieces were possibly rendered worthless by their actions. Why would you glue a poster to the board without being instructed, especially when being paid extra for UV protection, etc? Why would you then trim the poster without the owners consent? And was this standard practice, were my Desert B1 and Donwood prints also glued?

No clear answers, just a whole lot of contradictory gibberish in reply! “HOW COULD THIS BE!!! I explained how valuable these items were; see the quality of the paper, what have you done!!!!”

I told him I’d drop all the framed items down to his workshop, he would open and inspect each, and report back the damage. I couldn’t bear to look. And if all had been ruined, he had better be prepare for a hefty claim, as the Desert B1 and Donwood prints would be incredibly difficult to replace. I was looking for a miracle.

The subsequent week followed with a number of excuses as to why the inspection was delayed, resignation sinking in with every day passing. Each day I rang, “any news”, “not yet”. On it went until Friday.

Finally, feedback. The Blade Runner 1-sheet and Alien ½ sheet (Framed at the same time) had been glued, but the Desert B1 and Donwood prints were as good as new. My relief was indescribable. We agreed to a meeting on the following Monday, so I could inspect all the posters, and agree a settlement a way forward. Relieved? I can’t tell you. 

The meeting actually turned out far better than I expected. I was invited to tour their workshops, the owner clearly explained the chain of events, and we agreed a fair settlement. A former employee was responsible for the drybacking, and that certainly was not common practice.

All my posters were re-framed, the Blade Runner and Alien just representing pictures now, and my Dollars Trilogy Tatekan posters were to be framed as compensation for the ruined 2-posters. Having seen the workshops and the current archival quality materials and workmanship first hand, my confidence was restored.

So that’s my horror story. Lesson learnt, you can’t be too explicit when explaining your poster framing requirements, to the point of getting the details down in writing. But what a lesson! Trust me, to witness a poster glued to a piece of board is quite a shattering experience for a poster collector. Anyway, at least I can look at my Desert B1 without choking.

I’ll post photos of the framed Dollars trilogy when received.

So true.. especially with framers that have little or no experience in the proper way to frame a movie poster!

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »
That's horrible. I use my local framer, all conservation frames, etc. Will call him again tomorrow to CHECK AGAIN ....gosh, that's an awful thought.. drybacking..  :-\

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »
Definitely a horror story!! But a good lesson.When going to the local frame shop you have to explain (several times if needed) it can't glued or trimmed.Most framers have no experience working with material that isn't required to be glued down in some fashion.
I got frustrated as all hell when visting the framers in my area.I got into an argument with one of them,he got mad and said (rudely) it couldn't be dun without mounting it.I told him you have more to learn as framer...and to stick it!!

Needless to say, I couldn't find one here that made me feel comfortable that they knew what to when it came too paper.
I'm sure I could probably find one in Cleveland (a larger city) when the time comes,but for now Sue is the way to go.

Anthony

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
Dam man I would have been pissed, you should have laid the smack down on his roody poo candy ass haha. Glad they stepped up and took care of you though.

Bruce

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
I have heard this EXACT story AT LEAST 25 times over the last 25 years.

It happens ALL THE TIME.

One time the guy had the posters matted, and when they were unframed years later, he discovered the blank borders had been partially trimmed.

This person who posted here was LUCKY.

Why do I say that? Because in most of these stories the entire frame shop has long since closed.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
I do all my own framing.
the only thing I cannot do is cut the frames and if I need a wooden frame cut, I go to the places that do such work & get one, but I still do all my own framing.

when I had my gallery in Cincinnati (lived there 9 years) there was a great framer down the street and he is the only framer that ever did anything for me from that point on and he was fantastic, only used high quality archival materials. But he was a rarity. I hear more horror stories about framers than compliments

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------