Author Topic: ouch £399 for a repro  (Read 6377 times)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
ouch £399 for a repro
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THUNDERBIRDS-GO-/200515169891?pt=UK_Collectables_Disneyana_EH&hash=item2eafa2ae63

i am feeling very sorry for the buyer here, also whats this "expert valuation" all about, it looks like professopr powers!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: ouch £399 for a repro
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
How totally farking bizarre...  That 'valuation' scares me even more than the price...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
What gives it away on that poster ? is it purely the size difference ? or is there anything else?

Stew

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
the size for me...

Terry @ quadbod might be able to give more info, but it's a ringer in my book

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
Doesn't it sucks that there is no way to contact the buyer anymore?  I miss Ebay's early days, before the idiotic Whitman took over.  I can't believe this trash of a woman is running for Governor of California.  Something else for her to destroy.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
It is most definitely a repro from the 1980's, I have one myself in much better nick. It's not just the size, but the lack of folds, quality of the printing, how much white edge it has. I agree with Eatbrie, if I could contact the buyer I would, though knowing Ebay it's most likely the sellers alter ego!!!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »
The valuation company "Value My Stuff Now" were featured on a recent TV programme called Dragons Den here in the UK where fledgling companies seek funding for business growth from a panel of multi-millionaires. This particular company is owned by a former Christies auctioneer who charge GBP 4.80 for each email valuation. A panel of 28 "experts" is used each of whom is paid GBP 1.80 if they are asked for their opinion. The strange thing is that the company recognised the Thunderbirds poster was under-sized but despite their reservations still went on to provide a meaningless valuation.

Mark

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »
the size for me...

Terry @ quadbod might be able to give more info, but it's a ringer in my book

Without a doubt, this is the commercial reprint/reproduction which appears quite frequently on eBay and which is very often (either fraudulently or accidently) described as an original UK quad poster - which obviously it is not!  One of the major factors which leads people to believe the 'original' description is the fact that the original printer's credit is reproduced in the bottom border.

As has been pointed out by others, the size alone should have been sufficient to alert any 'expert' to its true identity.

Best wishes,  Terry
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
The valuation say the poster is from 67 and the seller is listing it as from the 70's.  :-\ >:(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
The valuation company "Value My Stuff Now" were featured on a recent TV programme called Dragons Den here in the UK where fledgling companies seek funding for business growth from a panel of multi-millionaires. This particular company is owned by a former Christies auctioneer who charge GBP 4.80 for each email valuation. A panel of 28 "experts" is used each of whom is paid GBP 1.80 if they are asked for their opinion. The strange thing is that the company recognised the Thunderbirds poster was under-sized but despite their reservations still went on to provide a meaningless valuation.

Mark

Very interesting...
Chris

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
There has been a development.  Although the original valuation still appears within the eBay item description, clicking on the panel to show more details reveals an acknowledgement that the poster is not as previously described, together with a revised valuation.  However, the original valuation based on the assumption that this was an original quad poster is still very prominently displayed.  One must hope that any prospective bidder will be thorough enough to click through to that revision.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »
I contacted the seller yesterday just to see what he would say his reply was:-

Thanks but its been seen and valued ,so that good enough for me

paul

- dockerill123

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:38:32 AM »
The valuation company has amended the valuation, but the seller has not displayed the amendment conspicuously - you can only find it by clicking on the 'valuation details' box.  The incorrect value is still the first thing a prospective bidder would see in the item description.

Terry

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »
So how does the valuation thing equate with the fact that someone has already placed a bid for £380 on something that is seen to be nominal...?

Oh dear.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
Hey, the auction ends in 24plus hours.  What say we all email the bastard and let him know the poster community is watching? We can tell him that we are all going to contact Ebay and Paypal about his con and maybe he'll stop the auction.  I say we throw a scare into him. I think it's worth a shot.  Who's with me?

I'm contacting him now....

If'n yer with me, lemme know....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I just sent this to mister dockerill123:

"Hello dockerill123. It has come to the movie poster collecting community's attention that this poster reprint has a live bid of 380, because the buyer believes it to be an original.
If the buyer is not informed or this auction is not ended, a flood of emails to Paypal and Ebay might ensue.
Please end the auction ASAP."

I don't know if it will get any traction by itself but, if you guys chime in and send him something like this, maybe it will. 

Remember, we poster whores are bad-ass muthaf**kas...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
There's always the possibility that the bid may not be genuine.
Incidentlally, I notice this thread is headed '£399 for a repro' but the high bid is currently at £380.
Has a second bid been removed?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
It does say starting bid was £380. There's been no retractions.

diesel

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
Doesn't it sucks that there is no way to contact the buyer anymore?  I miss Ebay's early days, before the idiotic Whitman took over.  I can't believe this trash of a woman is running for Governor of California.  Something else for her to destroy.

You can always wait until they leave feedback and then click on their username to deliver the bad news.  :-\

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
I sent the following to him

To: dockerill123
Subject: p****** has sent a question about item #200515169891, ending on 12-Sep-10 16:22:58 BST - THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO
Sent Date: 10-Sep-10 14:27:54 BST

Dear dockerill123,

dear Sir,
do you know this is a reproduction poster and worth about ten pounds rather than the 500-800 you have it valued at?

thanks
paul

Dear p****,

BORING ME

- dockerill123

Reply in your email program or through My Messages
Respond Now

now this got my goat a little bit, I will be watching this guy very carefully on ebay now, and will definately tell his unforunate buyer he has a repro!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »
You can always wait until they leave feedback and then click on their username to deliver the bad news.  :-\

That might be our only avenue to alert the buyer, diesel.

I just got a response from the seller:

"Dear brude2000,

i have contacted the buyer,there as been a update to ebay from the company so ive done all i can.
thanks for your concern
paul

- dockerill123"

I find it hard to believe that he contacted the buyer; the right thing to do was to cancel the auction.
I guess we will have to see if the buyer posts any feedback.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:27 AM »
An interesting contrast in the tone of his responses to those two approaches!
I suppose there is every chance that the initial bid may not be genuine.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »
If it is true that feedback can still not be left for the buyer, then the way to deal with these people is to leave an outrageous bid that you will never pay, and ensure that ebay is aware of both your attempts to educate the seller, and the reason for the bid.

I am sure there will be contractual things to suggest this shouldn't be done, but at least bidders don't get caught and a point is well made...