Author Topic: Hi...Just got bitten...Advice needed  (Read 12759 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Hi...Just got bitten...Advice needed
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »
if you like it, that's all that matters.

Thats how I see it.

I havent bought a single poster based on future value.

If I like it, I want it and I can afford it. I see about buying it.

I own a lot of crap  :P   ;D

guest8

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »
Not a big hit and Rodriguez is not Tarantino, so I think not.  But if you like it, that's all that matters.

I know you know the "industry" a lot better than I do .. But all I ever see you say is this movie flopped that movie didnt do what they were expecting .. Now maybe that true on the upper-crust levels of the executives that only see investments and $$ .. But I cant see people that love making films (like I assume Rodriguez does) considering this film a failure .. Now granted I dont know the true bottom line and all that but as long as the film turns a little profit I couldnt see anyone that had something to do with the actual making of the film being upset .. Its deff a genre film and I bet they had a lot of fun making it .. and the fact that it hit theaters world wide and they made a little $ on top of all that sounds like a success story to me and Im sure there are and will be many many fans that think this is "the greatest movie ever" (opinions are all subjective) ... and those fans may be poster collectors some day and when they get older they may "have to have that poster" ... So totally discounting it because it didnt reach Avatar or TDK box office numbers seems a bit odd to me.. Being movie fans we know that just because a movie doesnt do well in theaters doesnt mean it isnt a good movie .. Also just because it doesnt break box office records doesnt mean it wont bring in a huge cult following down the road.. :) 

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
Hey Peter, I was in the same boat.  I think BTTF means "Back To The Future."  That's the only film I can think of that it would stand for anyway.

Right, that's what it is!  I was wracking my brain on that one and kept getting stuck at "Breakfast at Tiffanys."

One important thing to remember is that many of the posters that become "valuable" are from films that flopped on their initial release - and it's the rabid fans that snap up the available supply of posters driving up the price.  Compare and contrast "Donnie Darko" posters with "Titanic."

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
I prefer Rodriguez to Tarantino...

DESPERADO...EL MARIACHI...SIN CITY...FROM DUSK TIL DAWN...PLANET TERROR...

The posters for some of these titles are extremely hard to find at a reasonable price...
...and MACHETE is a rockin' poster...

scartacus

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »
Rodriguez is a very canny film maker. Even his bigger movies like Sin City are made for a price.  Machete had a rumoured price tag of $20m and took over half of that in the opening week. All things considered it should be a very profitable movie. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
Yeah that Machete is pretty cool.
Chris

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »

I think we like the same movies!

Armin

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »
Here you go Brude. Just for you. Robert Rodriguez has two studios. One is in downtown Austin Texas and the other is actually out of his house in Austin Texas. He converted his garage into a sound stage and then expanded from there with a story above it and so forth. He also does a lot of work with a couple of effects houses out of Canada.

Here are some of the posters he has hanging in his studio from a few years back. He visits South By Southwest Film Festival on occasion and that is where I got to see Grindhouse the year before it came out. He let us see all the fake trailers and talked about how he liked Machete and wouldn't mind turning that into a full feature someday.

There is a hallway around the corner to the right of the large From Dusk Till Dawn poster in the third pick. It has a very large Mr. White Reservoir Dog's character poster hanging on the wall along with other smaller posters.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 02:45:35 PM »
Those pics are awesome, Chad! Thanks for posting them.
Rodriguez has produced and directed quite a bit of entertainment for someone so young.
Even my kids enjoyed the SPY KIDS and SHARK BOY..
I think his best work is still way ahead of him and I look forward to each and every new movie he makes.
Pretty fine musician, too....

thumbup

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »
Rodriguez is a very canny film maker. Even his bigger movies like Sin City are made for a price.  Machete had a rumoured price tag of $20m and took over half of that in the opening week. All things considered it should be a very profitable movie.  

Let me break it down to you guys.  Machete cost $20.  Worldwide P&A was another $50 to $60 mil.  So we're up to $80.  Let's say $70 to be fair.  Since exhibitors take about half the profit, give or take, the movie has to make $140 at the worldwide BO to break even.  Maybe it will, but I don't see it happening.  It will probably recoup its investment on homevid and auxiliary markets, but as far as a profitable movie, the jury is still out.  

Now, the movie has 71% on rotten tomatoes.  Good number, but not great.  CinemaScore gave it a B, which is about average.  I personally haven't seen it, and I won't, since I don't like Rodriguez (aside from El Mariachi, which showed unfulfilled promises).  I don't see much talent in him, but that's a personal taste.  I think Tarantino is lightyears ahead of him.  You guys may disagree, more power to him.

What I know, however, is that expectations for Machete were much higher.  So in that sense, the movie is a failure.  Not as much of a financial failure as Scott Pilgrim, which was a disaster for Universal, but a lot of people are probably upset over it.

That's all I'm saying.  Based on what I've said above, the general feel is that the movie will not be well remembered.  Some movies fail at the boxoffice but score amongst the people who saw them.  For instance, Scott Pilgrim generated an A- from CinemaScore, and audiences under 25 gave it an A.  That movie has more potential to become a cult classic than Machete, simply because its core audience loved it.  It didn't translate into success, but in the long run, these people will keep the trend alive.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

scartacus

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
I'm stunned by those P&A figures Thierry. Machete didn't strike me as a movie that has been promoted to that extent

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
Unfortunately, it's very average for a "studio" movie.  Which is why nothing original gets made in Hollywood anymore.   I believe Fox paid $8 million for domestic distribution rights to "Machete."  I don't know who's distributing it worldwide.  It might be different per country.  So $8 + $20 P&A domestically (I'm averaging), that's $28.  So the movie needs to make at least $55 in the US to break even for the distributor.  Let's say it makes $30 at the boxoffice, they'll still have to find another $30 on homevid to break even (and I'm not even counting homevid distribution fees).

If Rodriguez sold to many markets, he may be close to recouping his investment.  But profit is more iffy.

T  
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
I saw on Tuesday... meh.  Not one of his better works IMO.  From what I understand it only made 11m opening weekend.  And I'm guessing it will have a 60+% drop when the numbers come out for next weekend.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
Thierry.. I'm not sure your estimations of 80 million costs are correct. Generally speaking (to my knowledge) promotion is counted amongst "budget". In this case, budget is $20million

Part of the reason the budget is so small is because the actors all worked cheap and the studio took advantage of YouTube and other promotional aspects that cost nothing or near to it for months. If their promotional budget in the US is as low as I suspect, I can't see them spending multiples of that internationally, so I suggest that the international budget is no more than the 20mil making a budget of $40mil.

Also, Rodriguez is known for slim budgets to get his projects done so that his films do not need to be uber-grossing to break even. So I suggest that if the film does 100mil worldwide, it will make money

also (to everyone) .. just because Rodriguez and Tarantino make lots of film together in some format, does not mean you compare the 2 to each other.. That's like saying Henry Hathaway & John Ford are comparable because they both directed sequences in How the West Was Won - NOT!. They are stand-alone directors who are friends and collaborators.. but they are entirely different filmakers. I can't imagine Tarantino making Spy Kids and Scotty Pilgrim type films..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
Promotion is NEVER counted in the budget.  Sorry, Rich.
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:21 PM »

I love them equally as I would my children if I had any. I like how my boys play so well together too  8)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »
Robert makes most of his money from the kids movies which allows him to make his other movies.