Author Topic: Hi...Just got bitten...Advice needed  (Read 12764 times)

diesel

Hi...Just got bitten...Advice needed
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:13:31 AM »
Hi everyone,

My collecting started a couple years ago and has always generally been urban art prints (Banksy, Faile etc)

Someone on one of the forums offered me a Spiderman 2002 which I remember being interested in years ago. I started digging on the internet for info and discovered a whole myriad of other beautiful film posters out there.

I've been educating myself on the differences between Quads, 1 sheets etc (haven't learnt it all yet) and am starting to fall in love with scene :)
Really enjoy reading the invaluable guides for spotting the difference between reprints and originals, excellent work by those people involved.

I'm still waiting for the right Spiderman poster to come along and I started off my collection last night with a DS 40x30 Grindhouse and a set of 5 Kick Ass Quads

What do you guys advise for collecting the more desirable new posters? How come there is a big buzz on the new BTTF posters?

Thanks steve

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Hi...Just got bitten...Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:28:16 AM »
The biggest advice I can give you, and everyone else will tell you this as well, is to collect what you like.  Collecting for value might have been possible several years ago, but its very difficult given today's collecting climate.  If you collect what you like, then you will, at the very least, have a collection that makes you happy.  And, chances are, if you like them, then others will too if you ever decide you want to sell them.

Read a lot, here and other places, ask a lot of questions.  And remember that if something seems too good to be true, it often is.  Not always, but often.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

diesel

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:08:16 AM »
Thanks kovacs01

I do intend to really only collect what I like (hence Grindhouse  ;)) but I would enjoy keeping my eye for a new release at a good price that may increase in desirability.

Are the new BTTF posters popular because it's a classic film or because it's a limited re-release? Aren't Special Edition releases (ie Avatar) fairly new to cinema, I would have thought those posters will become popular in the future??

thanks steve

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:12:12 AM »
I would say the interest is because it is such a loved film.  Being limited just makes it harder to find.  There are those out there that collect all things BTTF, and thus need these to complete their collections.  Though, as Thierry will tell you, a complete collection of anything is a near impossibility.  But that certainly doesnt stop collectors from trying.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:25:14 AM »

Read a lot, here and other places, ask a lot of questions.

Spot On.

diesel

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:30 AM »
Wow. Nice to see such friendly and knowledgable people.

Can someone tell me the going rate (PM if you want) for the new BTTF quad please....

thanks steve

spacething

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:03 AM »

What do you guys advise for collecting the more desirable new posters?

Hey Steve,

When I started collecting I was told "Never pay more than you are willing to spend."  I mostly collect 1960's and 1970's exploitation, horror and grindhouse stuff so I don't know much about the newer posters.  There's a book called "Learn About Movie Posters" that I picked up and it's a good reference for learning the difference between quads, one-sheets, half-sheets, inserts, etc...  You can get it at Bruce's site.  Here's the link:

http://www.emovieposter.com/announcements.php?id=107

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
As far as new movies are concerned, it is virtually impossible to predict which one will stand the passage of time.  Which is why, as Schan said, you must collect what you like.  The reason BTTF is in demand is because it has become a classic that will probably be cherished for generations to come.  Again, I say probably because what is fashionable today could be obsolete tomorrow, but it is still much more collectible than say, Transformers.  The price reflects the demand.  Since there seems to be a very limited amount of re-release BTTF posters out there, its price is basically what the sellers charge and what you are willing to pay.  It could pop up on Ebay tomorrow and the price could drop.  If it does, I assure you it wouldn't drop too drastically, because the Struzan design is in demand no matter what.  I am a completist, so I collect by theme.  It helps me organize my collection, and I believe it is a better way to ensure your collection holds its value.  If you want to give yourself better chances to build a solid collection, watch the trends, project yourself 20-30 years forward and try to imagine which actor, director, movie will still be relevant.  Grindhouse is not a bad choice.  I think Tarantino will be remembered as a ground breaking director.  Cameron could be another one.  Fincher maybe.

Enjoy the hobby, and stay away from Mel.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »
Enjoy the hobby, and stay away from Mel.

Gibson or our Mel? 

Or both? ;D

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 11:36:34 AM »
"Gibson or our Mel?"

The crazy one!  ;D

Bruce

diesel

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Todays purchases.....

Bruce's Movie Guide  :)
4 BTTF re-releases.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Hi Diesel.. welcome to collecting!!

some things you should definitely remember when buying moder-era posters.

1) ebay has very many reproductions and bootlegs. I recommend finding a dealer who is known to the hobby as honest to prevent yourself getting taken

2) I am the owner of www.movieposterbid.com and I run the weekly 99 cents auctions.
3) Bruce is the owner of eMoviePoster.com
4) both of us 1000% guarantee satisfaction and only sell "real" posters. Both of us stand by our product

dealing with sellers who guarantee the honesty & integrity of what they sell is the #1 guarantee that you will "get what you pay for"

enjoy your trip to "movie poster-dom" and be sure to find a good Dr to help treat your new habit

wynk

Rich

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
"Gibson or our Mel?"

The crazy one!  ;D

Bruce

Oh, that clarifies it.  NOT!

Welcome Steve.  The great thing about collecting is that you get to collect what you want.  Personally, I wouldn't suggest that you collect in obvious categories.  Take Crazy Mel 1 - he collects, among other things, posters for what he calls his "beauties" collection.  Really cool concept and no one else does that.  Some lists can be ok, but really tough to complete.  Consider Thierry's Academy Awards collection - what a tough thing because the Awards have been out for a long long time and the hope of completing that collection is not really too good unless your rich.  My experience is that I started with double sided onesheets, and then over the years ended up with Japanese B1's.  Boy have I covered some territory.  Bruce collects travel posters.

And, let's not forget Adam's fabled Bond collection.  I don't think anyone here's seen such a collection before.

Welcome, and enjoy!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »
The best advice I c an give you is don't buy from Carson  ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 08:03:44 PM »
The best advice I c an give you is don't buy from Carson  ;)

;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
My best advice - stay away from daybills - they are the worst movie paper there is!
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
Hi Diesel.. welcome to collecting!!

some things you should definitely remember when buying moder-era posters.

1) ebay has very many reproductions and bootlegs. I recommend finding a dealer who is known to the hobby as honest to prevent yourself getting taken

2) I am the owner of www.movieposterbid.com and I run the weekly 99 cents auctions.
3) Bruce is the owner of eMoviePoster.com
4) both of us 1000% guarantee satisfaction and only sell "real" posters. Both of us stand by our product

dealing with sellers who guarantee the honesty & integrity of what they sell is the #1 guarantee that you will "get what you pay for"

This is a very good post for one very good reason. It is 100% accurate. I have bought from both Bruce and Rich and they have both delivered.   

***I am NOT getting paid for this post.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »
My best advice - stay away from daybills - they are the worst movie paper there is!

You know you had me looking for daybills the first time I read one of these posts  :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
You know you had me looking for daybills the first time I read one of these posts  :)

But the real question is - did you buy any?
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
Only five so far  ;)....I pretty much have 1 -15 of everything except the silly new 27x40s which are everywhere.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »
Only five so far  ;)....I pretty much have 1 -15 of everything except the silly new 27x40s which are everywhere.

Not bad, not bad.  Variety is the spice of life!
Chris

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
At the risk of outing myself as a completely clueless geezer (US definition), wtf is BTTF?

Thanks in advance.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

diesel

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
At the risk of outing myself as a completely clueless geezer (US definition), wtf is BTTF?

Thanks in advance.

--Peter

I show you my BTTF's when they arrive today  :)

Thank you for all the advice esp about buying bootleg gear, I do try to find out all the info on something before buying it and hopefully I wont get had (too often) .
I'm hoping I have already found a good dealer, I will show you the BTTF's from him and you professionals can judge.

I've been offered a 'Machete' 1-sheet next week. I'm thinking this one could have some potential for the future. Vintage layout similar to Grindhouse, big director (Rodriguez), big actor (DeNiro) and could be a cult hit???

What d'ya think...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 02:58:21 AM »
Not a big hit and Rodriguez is not Tarantino, so I think not.  But if you like it, that's all that matters.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

spacething

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »

Thanks in advance.

--Peter

Hey Peter, I was in the same boat.  I think BTTF means "Back To The Future."  That's the only film I can think of that it would stand for anyway.