Author Topic: What do you guys think? REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES  (Read 2656 times)

spacething

What do you guys think? REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »

I had an authenticity question about this poster that I picked up not long ago and posted in the "August Purchases" thread.  I usually buy posters from the 1960's and 1970's, I don't have a lot of experience with posters from the 1980s.  So take that for what it's worth.

A lot of people will take one look at this and reason that "Who would bother to reprint this title?"  But as we saw in Brude's DEADLY SPAWN thread, it's not just the heavy-hitters like PULP FICTION and SCARFACE that get reprinted.

Here are the details.  The poster I have measures 27 X 41.  The US release of this film is from 1981, so that is the time period that this would have been printed.  The image is pretty sharp.  The front of the poster is glossy, the back of the poster is matte.  No NSS number on it.  I don't know anything about paper stock, but the paper is very thin (as opposed to the thicker paper that Moviegoods uses for example.)  One thing that I found unusual was that the person I bought it from had four more of the same poster for sale.  For years this poster has been one of my personal "unicorns" so I just found it odd that the person had such a large quantity of them.  Another unusual thing to me is how the poster lays when it is folded up.  If you look at the bottom picture, the folded poster does not lay flat the way most of my other posters do, it just "flops" where the vertical fold line is.  I paid $35 for it.

What do you guys think?  Do you think this poster is re-printed? 

By the way, sorry for the crap photo.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: What do you guys think? REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:44:22 AM »
It looks fine to me, I'd have bought it. Bruce is the guy you really need to hear from.  Are you sure it was as late as 1981?
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
No need to fret.  You've got an original international one sheet.  Heritage has sold several of them in the last few years:

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »
The reason it doesn't lay completely flat is because many posters like these were found in unused stacks where they had been tri-folded only, and then a group of them were folded over horizontally AS A GROUP, which results in a lighter than usual vertical fold. I have no doubts this is authentic.

Bruce

spacething

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »

Thank you Paul, Mel and Bruce.  I appreciate your expertise and input.   :)

Bruce - thanks for the info about the light vertical fold.  I've bought a couple of other posters from the same seller and they all have that light fold and it made me wonder.

spacething

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
Are you sure it was as late as 1981?

The film itself was first released in 1976 as "Black Magic 2" but I have a film book that lists the release date for "Revenge of the Zombies" as 1981.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »
Black Magic that's the title I couldn't remember.  hitself

Mel, The Pic's of the John Carradine film are a completely different Movie.
It's more than a Hobby...