Author Topic: Anyone's seen AVATAR yet?  (Read 19006 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Anyone's seen AVATAR yet?
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
I'd love to know how it ends.

Thanks,

Thierry

(PS: Private joke to my good NS4 buddy Eric aka Magnum55 - Can't wait for the world cup to begin!)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Anyone's seen AVATAR yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »
Hahaha...

Speaking of that, here's a cross post (referencing the new forum) from NS4 that I am sure the 'Erotic one' won't mind me posting:

"With Thierry's involvement, you can pretty much guarantee that all film and sports spoilers will be revealed upfront, in bold typeface"
Chris

cinemarts

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »
Saw it in 3D.
Wonderful.
But see it in 3D.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »
I'm seeing Sunday night, in 3D.  Can't wait.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:58 AM »
"With Thierry's involvement, you can pretty much guarantee that all film and sports spoilers will be revealed upfront, in bold typeface"

It will be my pleasure, honor and duty to fulfill Eric's desires.

My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »
Why him and not me?!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

kauaitx

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »

Because you're not Er(OT)ic. 

Jeannie

wonka

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I just got back from seeing it in 3D and its my honest opinion that its the silliest film ever made.

It makes Indy 4 sound like The Godfather.  Worst script ever put to screen.  He had what, 12 or so years to write it and this is the final product?!?

Here are some 'classic' lines that will unfortunately never leave my head:

"Welcome to Pandora.  You're not in Kansas anymore."

"Ok, who's got my cigarettes?"  (First thing Sigorney Weaver says on screen, just after she gets out of her pod thingy).

"I've got guns too, Bitch!"

"You haven't got lost in the woods, have you? You still remember what team you're playing for?"

"Gives me the goosebumps!"

Could go on and on...

I will say that the 3D effects are top notch.  There were these bugs flying around and at first I literally tried to brush them away. 

The main problem is this: its like two films in one.  One film is like a bad sci-fi space marine drama on the WB network.  The other film is just a series of cut scenes from a Final Fantasy game.  It just doesn't mix that well.

Remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  You have the world of real people and the world of toons, both living and sharing space together...and you never question it...it makes sense.  But now, Avatar is so disjointed between the two species at war...it was too jarring for me when it cut back and forth.  Oh well, sorry to be Debbie Downer, I hope some of you like it.

Maybe it was worth it, cool 3D (if you see it in regular screenings, you gotta be nuts) and made me realize I am not so bad at writing screenplays myself.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
Well, I still can't wait to see it, if only for its 82% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  Pretty impressive for a movie of this scope.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

T.
My Personal Collection

wonka

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »
Ironically, that very page is what I looked over earlier today...I wasn't going to see it until I saw all the glowing reviews.

Cameron must have passed around some neon blue kool-aid to the critics.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Convinced the woman that we should go see this tonight - I bribed her with the idea of a 3D movie being a new experience...
Chris

guest8

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
LOL .. Be sure to "drink the blue kool-aid" before you go :P

I havent seen this yet .. Im waiting to see if the "real" imax here in indy gets this in 3D before I decide to go see it .. But, im really wanting to like it .. I guess like everything it comes down to personal opinions .. Im sure that there are some people (be it few and far between) that actually like Indiana Jones 4 ;D

wonka

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
Actually, after seeing it and disagree with my opinion, you are wrong.

Indy 4?  Whoever likes that movie needs to reassess their life.

guest8

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »
LOL .. I think if Indy4 would have mad it a lost culture or something like that instead of aliens it would have been better :P

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 02:08:52 AM »
So my review is as follow: Mesmerizing!!!

Anyone who sees this movie has to see it in 3D, otherwise you miss half the spectacle.  A couple of years ago, my wife had an opportunity to work on the movie in special effects.  I advised her to stay at DreamWorks where the work is more stable.  With Avatar, she would have gone from one project to the next with no guarantees.  At DreamWorks, she's an employee with steady work.  I was wrong.  Dead wrong.  Avatar sets the level to a whole new height.  For people 40 and under, it is our Star Wars, no questions about it.  If cinema was created for spectacle and evasion, this is Cinema.  I cannot recommend it more, but in 3D!

Thierry

My Personal Collection

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 05:29:19 AM »
i watched avatar last night. i really liked it. more than worth watching again.. ;D

please dont talk about indy 4, im still coming to terms with it. :'(

www.AmovieMasterpiece.co.uk
www.twitter.com/ammasterpiece

wonka

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »
Shocked to say the least re: your review, Thierry.

Not sure why this movie gets a pass.  Sure it looked great, but crap wrapped up with a beautiful bow on top is still crap.

Is there a worse script full of cliche after cliche after recycled story lines? 

Seems the bar is just lower now, I guess.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »
The janitor (or "custodian technician") tells me he has seen Avatar five times.

If it's inspiring that much devotion, maybe it will be the next Titanic.

I remember teenage girls went to see Titanic 10+ times.

guest8

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
I saw this movie in fake IMAX 3D this past weekend .. and to me visually its a stunning film .. But the story is sophomoric at best .. It reminds me of so many other movies that have already been done and the same story lines from as far back as I can remember...

While I was in the theater I typically wait for the credits to finish before I leave and there were 3 guys/friends sitting in front of me and one of them stood up and said "that was the best movie ever" My friend and I looked at one another and laughed literally out loud .. We both concede its a fun movie but by no mean the "best movie ever" .. To me this is just a kids movie on steroids.. Simple basic story line thats easy to follow and has lots of bright colors .. ;)

Now thats not to say it wasnt enjoyable .. I will probably get it on Bluray just because of the amazing visual effects! Its never going to be in any top 10 lists though.

wonka

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

Its like Dances With Wolves had a baby with Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, and the baby dropped acid instead of drinking formula.

guest8

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
LOL .. True .. I do not dispute that plot-wise .. Its the same old story line thats been used time and time again .. Its a film for the masses and sadly the masses are somewhat simple minded .. hence my comparison of this movie to a kids film .. Not too much thought is needed.. People can just sit back in autopilot and ohh and ahhh the special effects ;)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but a friend of my saw the film on opening day and I saw him at a party later that night. He told me about the film and my comment to him was that the story sounds like a Last of the Mohican's and Dances With Wolves type movie.

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 07:53:37 AM »
I hope it is still running in 3D when I am home next month.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 08:42:19 AM »
I dont see why it wouldnt .. Unless they plan on a quick BD/DVD release .. Hard telling with the studios sometimes .. But the next IMAX release will be Alice in Wonderland in March .. So I suspect they will hold on to Avatar as long as they can ;)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 03:09:25 PM »
You should be good. The Dark Knight had a long run for the Imax theater and then they did a rerelease for it again 6 months later. This movie has made a ton of money so they won't pull it until it milks everything it can out of the viewers.

Chad