Author Topic: KILL BILL VOL 1 Advance poster question  (Read 7202 times)

Freefall

KILL BILL VOL 1 Advance poster question
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:24:22 PM »
Hey Guys!

I am wondering whether Miramax released a  DS version of the Advanced Katana Foil Poster Kill Bill V1?

Gracias!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: KILL BILL VOL 1 Advance poster question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
Yes.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
But the single sided version is the original, to my knowledge.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:06:08 AM »
But the single sided version is the original, to my knowledge.
Single sided posters are almost never theater originals, other than for the artiest of art house flicks .  They are nearly always for other promotional use and wilding.  For this poster, both copies that I saw (at two different cinemas) were double sided.

What information do you have?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
The only versions I received, from a theatrical source, were single sided with a foil coating on the sword.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »
we have had both single and double sided originals. We even had a few double sided ones before the movie came out.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Mine is DS, foil, and for sure original.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

T

Same here.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:45 PM »
Single sided posters are almost never theater originals 

What year would you say the almost never takes over from about 50/50 or 70/30 ?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
Single sided posters are almost never theater originals, other than for the artiest of art house flicks . 

this is entirely untrue, unless Jason only means post 2007 posters which I rarely see SS
but I have a whole warehouse of original theatrical SS posters 1980s-2000s

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
Single sided posters are almost never theater originals, other than for the artiest of art house flicks .  They are nearly always for other promotional use and wilding.  For this poster, both copies that I saw (at two different cinemas) were double sided.

What information do you have?

I forgot where I heard this, but I was under the impression that Kill Bill was somewhat of an art-sie release at first and that only single sided onesheets were done of this version.  The word was that double sided onesheets were produced shortly after the hype grew.  But, you have others here who think they may have been released simultaneously.  While I don't think it matters, a la the difference between the first Matrix poster and the second with the date change, the logic of what I heard was apparent.  Beyond this, I have no other information.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »

T

To be sure, both the single sided and double sided versions are original.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
What year would you say the almost never takes over from about 50/50 or 70/30 ?

Mid-90's on, 2000 at the latest...  (my post originally had dates, not sure what happened to the end of that sentence).  Theaters simply did not get SS posters, except under unusual circumstances (replacements for damaged copies) or for handouts at promotional screenings.  If a poster is only available SS then it's more than likely a wilding issue.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
Mid-90's on, 2000 at the latest...  (my post originally had dates, not sure what happened to the end of that sentence).  Theaters simply did not get SS posters, except under unusual circumstances (replacements for damaged copies) or for handouts at promotional screenings.  If a poster is only available SS then it's more than likely a wilding issue.

I N C O R R E C T
again, I have 150,000-200,000 rolled modern age posters. I have SS posters  that are theatrical release posters for US distribution. It varies by company. Very few titles are used for wilding compared to the number of titles released and generally they are top titles. Moreover, wilding really only takes place is cities where people do lots of walking - like NYC, Chicago. There is no purpose to go wilding in Las Vegas for instance because pedestrians are few and where they are, wilding is illegal (the Strip). Also, SS posters are very much used for International markets.

But such a blanket statement as Jason uses are pure hogwash

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »
I cant speak for US 1 sheets,but here in the UK we get SS posters every week.

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
I N C O R R E C T
again, I have 150,000-200,000 rolled modern age posters. I have SS posters  that are theatrical release posters for US distribution. It varies by company. Very few titles are used for wilding compared to the number of titles released and generally they are top titles. Moreover, wilding really only takes place is cities where people do lots of walking - like NYC, Chicago. There is no purpose to go wilding in Las Vegas for instance because pedestrians are few and where they are, wilding is illegal (the Strip). Also, SS posters are very much used for International markets.

Good for you, Mr. Pedantic.  You have a bunch of SS posters that, not surprisingly, never reached theaters.  And you misunderstood what I said.  No one was talking about international.  No one was talking about non-major art-house companies.  Of course, it varies by company, but the major studios were heavily-to-universally committed to DS by the mid-90's.  Miramax was the last holdout until the disney takeover (just after Pulp Fiction) At larger US theaters, you almost never saw single-sided posters after the very early 90's (not including Miramax).  By the end of the decade the same could be said of even the smallest theater.

Like I said, since the mid-90's the vast majority of SS posters (US, major studio, one sheets) were used for promotional purposed outside of in-theater display.

I'll clarify my limited wilding comment...

"If a particular version of a poster is only available SS (Fight Club Soap advances, His Cell/Her Cell Gattaca advances, TDK's joker playing card version, before it was used for the re-release) then it's more than likely a wilding issue."

BTW, if you google image search (GIS) 'wilding gattaca poster', it pulls up a giant selection of Brie's images...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »
Like I said, since the mid-90's the vast majority of SS posters (US, major studio, one sheets) were used for promotional purposed outside of in-theater display.

no, that isn't what you said Carson .. I mean Scarecrow.. or whoever you are

you said something different than that and now you're back sliding instead of saying "what I meant was....."

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
and oh.. by the way.. I have lots of US SS posters that are not Miramax post 1995.

so I guess YOU'RE STILL FUCKING WRONG

-------

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 04:15:40 AM »
no, that isn't what you said Carson .. I mean Scarecrow.. or whoever you are

you said something different than that and now you're back sliding instead of saying "what I meant was....."
The hell I am.  

Yeah... These are totally different...

Mid-90's on, 2000 at the latest...  (my post originally had dates, not sure what happened to the end of that sentence).  Theaters simply did not get SS posters, except under unusual circumstances (replacements for damaged copies) or for handouts at promotional screenings.

The topic of the thread is Kill Bill onesheets.  I didn't think that I had to qualify my statements to nth flipping degree.  Pardon me for assuming the audience could connect is own dots.  There was a typo on the first post you quoted that erased half on my sentence, including the time frame, so I clarified the post.  I additionally clarified, not changed, my post on wilding since you failed to notice the key word 'only' and misunderstood what I was talking about.

BTW, Wilding happens plenty in many mid-sized cities across the US.  No one walks in Vegas because it's a desert shit hole.

And you can go screw yourself for that BS Carson comment....

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:50:36 AM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 04:30:59 AM »
and oh.. by the way.. I have lots of US SS posters that are not Miramax post 1995.

so I guess YOU'RE STILL FUCKING WRONG

I am sure that you do.  Just because you have them only means that they were printed and proves nothing about what they were used for.  I am suggesting that the vast majority just weren't used for theatrical display.    Please, prove me wrong... you have yet to do so despite you're predilection for ALL CAPS...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:56:06 AM by archie leach »

Bruce

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »
You guys need to get a room!

I have received consignments of thousands of posters from theaters and SS posters were mixed with DS ones. I don't think there were any hard and fast rules about what each were used for.

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
I have received consignments of thousands of posters from theaters and SS posters were mixed with DS ones. I don't think there were any hard and fast rules about what each were used for.

I think of them more as guidelines than hard and fast rules.  Could a SS poster from the late 90's been used or meant for theatrical display?  Yes.  Is it likely to have been used or meant for theatrical use?  No.