Author Topic: Difference between foam board and archival corrugated backings?  (Read 16093 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Can someone explain the difference between Foam board and B flute archival cardboard for backing.

Archival Corrugated - Museum Grade Archival. This board is .125" thick, B-Flute, "Banner Blue" corrugated cardboard. It is acid- and lignin-free and buffered with a 3% calcium carbonate buffer. Safe for indefinite-term storage.

Foam Board - Museum Grade Archival.  This board is an indefinite-term, archival board. It has a polystyrene foam core (making it ultralightweight) with a laminated white, smooth facing. It is buffered with 3% calcium carbonate and is acid-free with a pH of 7.5-8.5. It is either .125" or .1875" thick, super rigid.

I want to use them as backings with poly bags. So I can actually take out the posters and look at them. The Archival museum grade corrugated b flute backing board seems to appear cheaper than the foam board. I would like to use this, what is the major difference if both are archival?

The other question I have is relating to the cardboard. I understand its cardboard (even though its archival). I have seen photos of posters for sale and they had cardboard backings which the lines from the cardboard penetrated through to the poster. Is this because of it being cardboard or because there was acid in that cardboard??

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
Re: Difference between foam board and archival corrugated backings?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:37 AM »
Basically, the thickness. The foam board is thicker and more sturdy.

I don't know how to post vids here. You can go to bagsunlimited.com and see a video about this. Just click the youtube button at the top. Once there scroll down till you see Angelina Jolie. He goes thru everything...bags, boards

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »
Basically, the thickness. The foam board is thicker and more sturdy.

I don't know how to post vids here. You can go to bagsunlimited.com and see a video about this. Just click the youtube button at the top. Once there scroll down till you see Angelina Jolie. He goes thru everything...bags, boards

And it also has a totally smooth surface and not the corrugated pattern of the fluted cardboard.

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:53 AM »
Is that corrugated pattern going to affect the poster long term? I have see posters against corrucgated backings and you can see the lines from the board appearing on the poster....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »
Is that corrugated pattern going to affect the poster long term? I have see posters against corrucgated backings and you can see the lines from the board appearing on the poster....

Mike, Ive seen that, too, and I would think that same ribbed pattern could likely show up, even if using buffered board, if you had posters backed this way stacked on top of each other. The weight might cause that imprinting to occur over time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:02:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
Thennn. That means its a no go for those.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
I'd go the smooth backing board route, too.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
without even reading the whole post.....

#1 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#2 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#3 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#4 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#5 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards

then, corrugated cardboard backings present a problem: posters that are placed in bags backed with corrugated cardboard eventually wind up with
'line-age' - where the long rows of corrugation 'imprint' upon the poster
those of us who use corrugated cardboard to display & sell posters recognize this issue

VERDICT
don't use it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:46:08 AM »
Yeah, smooth, too. He goes over all this in the video. Not good for one sheet stuff cuz of the imprinting, but okay for card stock I imagine.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
without even reading the whole post.....

#1 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#2 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#3 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#4 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards
#5 no corrugated boards will ever be acid free archival boards

then, corrugated cardboard backings present a problem: posters that are placed in bags backed with corrugated cardboard eventually wind up with
'line-age' - where the long rows of corrugation 'imprint' upon the poster
those of us who use corrugated cardboard to display & sell posters recognize this issue

VERDICT
don't use it

BU describes it as
Archival Corrugated - Museum Grade Archival. This board is .125" thick, B-Flute, "Banner Blue" corrugated cardboard. It is acid- and lignin-free and buffered with a 3% calcium carbonate buffer. Safe for indefinite-term storage.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
Mike, even if archival, I think i'd be worried about those corrugated lines appearing and getting imprinted on the poster, especially after some time had passed and posters might get stacked one on top of the other.

-Jeff

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »
So what would be the best way (reasonably priced) to store the collection, but want to actually flip through the posters.

.028 acid free backings from BU and poly sleeves?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
I'd go with the smooth boards instead.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »
what they are offering here is not exactly 'cardboard'

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4078-backings-for-one-sheet-posters-27-14-x-41.aspx

it is in reality a specialty paper, layered to certain thickness more or less. In other words, it's not made of the same material as cardboard, so their using of the word 'cardboard' in the description isn't really correct. It's more along the lines of using a definition people will understand.

but do something for yourself
find some sheets of corrugated and run your fingers over the surface and feel how uneven the surface really is.
this uneven surface will reflect onto your poster after they are stored this way for some time. We dealers who have posters on boards for display at shows and elsewhere encounter this issue. If you must use boards to display your posters, just get these
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3377-backings-for-one-sheet-posters-27-14-x-41.aspx

it is single sheet, treated either one side or two of the same material the corrugated boards are made of, if you want to be able to stand them up and these are too flimsy, get both the corrugated & the plain backs and use both with the plain backing in between the corrugated board and your poster to prevent the importation of the uneven surface of the corrugated to your poster.and I see there are 3 replies while I was typing this
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:06:02 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
ps: if you're just storing them flat, in a cabinet.. no corrugated boards. If you want to stack them against the wall for anyone to browse, get both in the combo I mention.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
oops
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:05:33 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »
what they are offering here is not exactly 'cardboard'

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4078-backings-for-one-sheet-posters-27-14-x-41.aspx

it is in reality a specialty paper, layered to certain thickness more or less. In other words, it's not made of the same material as cardboard, so they're using the word 'cardboard' in the description, it isn't really correct. It's more along the lines of using a definition people will understand.

but do something for yourself
find some sheets of corrugated and run your fingers over the surface and feel how uneven the surface really is.
this uneven surface will reflect onto your poster after they are stored this way for some time. We dealers who have posters on boards for display at shows and elsewhere encounter this issue. If you must use boards to display your posters, just get these
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3377-backings-for-one-sheet-posters-27-14-x-41.aspx

it is single sheet, treated either one side or two of the same material the corrugated boards are made of, if you want to be able to stand them up and these are too flimsy, get both the corrugated & the plain backs and use both with the plain backing in between the corrugated board and your poster to prevent the importation of the uneven surface of the corrugated to your poster.and I see there are 3 replies while I was typing this

I know what you mean about the grooves in the board. I have seen some posters on ebay that reflected that.
That is why I am confused about these boards.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 05:06:39 PM »
if you want to be able to stand them up and these are too flimsy, get both the corrugated & the plain backs and use both with the plain backing in between the corrugated board and your poster to prevent the importation of the uneven surface of the corrugated to your poster.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:07:10 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 05:06:52 PM »
Are you recommending the archival .040 boards over the acid free .028 boards? (they are double the price)
And I have to buy in bulk as well because I am in Canada.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:08:16 PM by bigmike »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
it doesn't matter except what you wants to do
I obviously use the .28 for comic books, but this is a large size, so I would only use .40 myself

-------

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
Dang, the .040 Boards, cost as much as 3/16" archival foam board

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Dang, the .040 Boards, cost as much as 3/16" archival foam board

lots of money - the part about the hobby that sometimes isn't so much fun~~~~~~~~

-------