Author Topic: Good lord! Am I out of touch here?  (Read 30820 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Good lord! Am I out of touch here?
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 07:44:32 PM »
^ I like this one too, has a stylish look and both would look great in your abode. How big is the cycling one, a bit larger than one sheet I guess.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
Last but not least is my much loved 'Wien' poster dating from 1937. This one was pretty creased and had some staining; most noticeably in the centre left yellow area towards the bottom of the poster. However, the wizards at Poster Mountain obviously worked their magic because the blemishes are no more and the whole thing is now mounted on linen. This is definitely one of the posters I'm going to cling on to forever. I spent at least five minutes staring at it in amazement when I unrolled it from it's packaging.  I just couldn't believe how fresh and vibrant it looked.

Apologies for the quality of the photos but 1930s British houses are not particularly light-filled, spacious or shadow free!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
^ I like this one too, has a stylish look and both would look great in your abode. How big is the cycling one, a bit larger than one sheet I guess.

Before it was mounted on linen Steve, it was about 60 inches by 40 inches. I'm not sure I have either an empty frame big enough to take it or a wall to fit it on!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:38 PM »
That's great news, Nick...ALL the way around! And did the tube arrive dent and ding-free?

I would bet that PM packaged your posters like something coming out of Fort Knox.

I'm not sure what the tube is made of but I'm pretty sure it could double up as a missile launcher. Very impressive!
Nick
Utter gent.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
Before it was mounted on linen Steve, it was about 60 inches by 40 inches. I'm not sure I have either an empty frame big enough to take it or a wall to fit it on!

Oh, quite big, a tad under Thierry hates "French Grande" size. There's usually always the ceiling to put it on if out of space.

Great the Wein poster pleases you so much  thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »
Stunning, Nick. Simply stunning.  thumbsup.gif faint2.gif
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:06:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 05:30:34 AM »
Remember what I said Jeff about the agreement with my dear wife? Namely to keep no more than 10-15 posters I really really admire and sell the rest. Well I think that this is the start of that process. Wincycle - definitely keep. Wien - absolutely. Chieftain - almost certainly. It's time to assess what I have and choose the survivors!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2016, 08:28:57 AM »
That's what its all about right there.  As you indicated the cleaning of the Wincycle sure did the trick.  Investment-wise i'm sure you've elevated the Wien's value considerably.  It looks gallery worthy....and you know how much they charge! 

thanks for the before/after visuals,  thumbsup.gif 

Mirosae

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
That's what its all about right there.  As you indicated the cleaning of the Wincycle sure did the trick.  Investment-wise i'm sure you've elevated the Wien's value considerably.  It looks gallery worthy....and you know how much they charge! 

thanks for the before/after visuals,  thumbsup.gif 

+ 1

Ps. Now you just have to ship them out to me Nick

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »
Remember what I said Jeff about the agreement with my dear wife? Namely to keep no more than 10-15 posters I really really admire and sell the rest. Well I think that this is the start of that process. Wincycle - definitely keep. Wien - absolutely. Chieftain - almost certainly. It's time to assess what I have and choose the survivors!

Lets hope that she eases back, maybe even a bit, Nick.  As Vick said, those latest restored posters are worthy of being hung in a gallery.

May the "to go" assessment be light.  :)

-Jeff

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
The Wien poster is a beautiful piece that HAS to go on your wall.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:39:32 PM by marklawd »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
The Wien poster is a beautiful piece that HAS to go on your wall.

Mark

It Belongs in a Museum! - Indiana Jones
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »
It Belongs in a Museum! - Indiana Jones we all say!!

:P ;) :)

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
It Belongs in a Museum! - Indiana Jones

Actually I think I'm the one who belongs in a museum.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »

+ 1

Ps. Now you just have to ship them out to me Nick

Hmm. Now if I can get a personal tour of 10 Downing Street and lunch at the House of Commons...

I've been thinking (which is a rare enough occurrence) and wondered whether it might help with my sorting process if I start a new thread asking for opinions on which of my posters should stay or go. For example, I think I have one or two more bicycle posters, and possibly four old cinema posters etc It  would be interesting to know which of those - assuming I should only hang on to one of each genre - other people would put into the 'Fab Fifteen'...or if my wife get the final vote, the more diminutive  'Terrific Ten' permanent poster collection. I wont promise to be bound by it but I'd love to hear others opinions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:26:56 PM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
I've been thinking (which is a rare enough occurrence) and wondered whether it might help with my sorting process if I start a new thread asking for opinions on which of my posters should stay or go. For example, I think I have one or two more bicycle posters, and possibly four old cinema posters etc It  would be interesting to know which of those - assuming I should only hang on to one of each genre - other people would put into the 'Fab Fifteen'...or if my wife get the final vote, the more diminutive  'Terrific Ten' permanent poster collection. I wont promise to be bound by it but I'd love to hear others opinions.

I say Go for it, Nick.

I think we all would love to see more of these Victorian and early cinema beauties.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
Hmm. Now if I can get a personal tour of 10 Downing Street and lunch at the House of Commons...

The Palace of Westminster will close for refurbishment  for the next 10 years  Nick  so I really think that a lunch at the House of Commons TO SAY goodbye to this wonderful building is a must before they transform the HoC it in a " wonderful"  new  Parliament. Yes it needs repair but....

I say no more....

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Well I'm in dire need of repair too, so that's fine dear!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »

solicited or not, always happy to share my knee-jerk, uninformed views with others here!