Author Topic: Good lord! Am I out of touch here?  (Read 30675 times)

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
Re: Good lord! Am I out of touch here?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 05:45:14 AM »
Well I haven't awoken to a reply this morning but I am inclined to pay the bill gracefully as it seems from your experiences that the size and weight could well be pushing that cost substantially higher. However the thought of customs duty on the work itself would be terrifying. If that happened I would lose both my posters and my wife. But from what you are saying it seems that they do sometimes charge incorrectly and then you simply have to go through the process of appeal?
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 05:58:24 AM »
I'd be surprised if you're liable for VAT on the full poster if an item that has temporarily gone abroad for some restoration and is being returned...however unless PM mark this clearly on the tube (there must be a code they can write), you probably will get charged at the value of the poster. PM must have experience with this, so perhaps ask them for advice? Else I'm sure Rosa will help you as she's very knowledgeable.

Does this apply perhaps?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-236-returned-goods-relief/notice-236-returned-goods-relief#exporting-goods-for-return-under-rgr

I have claimed back for incorrect charges in the past...it's not too painful and they replied to confirm a refund and processed it about 6 weeks or so after I wrote to them. Forms are below in case:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-customs-dutyimport-vat-relating-to-imports-by-post-bor286
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/import-and-export-application-for-repaymentremission-c285

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:00:33 AM by Tob »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 06:04:31 AM »
^ In OZ you need to get the paperwork sorted before sending goods overseas if they will come back 'modified'. Hopefully easier in the uk

If PM can drop the declared value on the shipment documentation to something low like Simes says and you can live with that then that might avoid some customs charges and hassel, unless customs opens the package and finds the real invoice value inside! Then you might request the invoice not be included in the package and emailed to you instead.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »
don't feel bad about lowballing the value for customs, there is built in inflation in the whole system that takes into account everyone is going to do so.  Write something reasonable like 60pounds or so and you'll pay nominal taxes.

And for sure go with USPS or the one Rosa said.  Brokerage fees with dhl/fed ex are also based on declared value, they have these scales so for example anything between $1 and $100 you would pay the same charge, between $101-$299, etc.  Its worthwhile to google them to make sure you don't bump yourself into the next scale unnecessarily.

It all sounds like a lot of work but its pretty painless actually and well worth it especially in your case considering you already invested a lot
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:48:36 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 09:40:43 AM »
Beware that insurance will only cover you for the declared amount though...so lowering the value is a gamble.

Mirosae

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »
Im sure it will be all fine. Good luck Nick...and remember...we WANT to see the posters.... :P

Safe shipping!

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:59 AM »
Well Rosa I think you've seen two already. My large bicycle 'Wincycle poster has had a major tear repaired and has been mounted on linen - otherwise the flaws have been left alone. The 'Wien' poster has been mounted on linen and has some staining and other marks removed (that's one I definitely want t put on display). And the third poster has had old linen removed, new linen added and pinholes and some other slight blemishes dealt with. Nothing too major as in missing areas being repainted but not exactly cheap to do of course. However, the few snaps I've seen look grand.

Apparently they were thinking of putting the removal of the linen procedure on the Poster Mountain blog. That might still happen...
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
Apparently they were thinking of putting the removal of the linen procedure on the Poster Mountain blog. That might still happen...

so the royalties coming in on a pay-per-view basis should considerably lessen the PM charges, no?

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »
so the royalties coming in on a pay-per-view basis should considerably lessen the PM charges, no?

I like your thinking Vick but thankfully all is now done and dusted. I contacted Poster Mountain and requested that they obtain a quote from USPS and I'm delighted to say that they came up trumps. With very low insurance and a slightly longer time to deliver (perhaps a week rather than three days) it's come in at $95 rather than the original $220 from DHL. Phew! Thanks chaps!!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Good to hear, Nick.  thumbsup.gif

And also to know that PM would check into other shipping methods and costs at your request.

I sense a sigh of relief...LOL

And deservedly so.

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
All they have to do now is make it across the Atlantic in one piece! Mind you, that's what they said about the Titanic...
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
We never "make" money on shipping, because we always charge what we pay (or less) plus $3 for packing materials.

I have sometimes considered using flimsier, lighter weight tubes and boxes, but I would be trading one problem (people who complain the shipping is "too high") for another (lots of damaged packages and tubes).

We also will send via any method the buyer wants (if it is more than our flat rate price, they must pay the difference).

We always quote all USPS and UPS options (we don't quote FED EX or DHL, but if the buyer wants, we would send those ways).
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
All they have to do now is make it across the Atlantic in one piece! Mind you, that's what they said about the Titanic...

Keep us posted, Nick, on their safe arrival back to you!

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »
As EMP no longer advertises against Nose Bleed Shipping, I think it is now a given

In case my comment came across wrong, I mean shipping large tubes overseas by anyone will cost a fortune since prices seem to have gone up dramatically in the past few years and since I mainly buy from EMP, that has ruled me outbuying the larger rolled items

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 01:25:39 AM »
I've mailed a handful of posters recently, in gorilla-proof tubes, (sometimes one or 2 posters in one tube), from Los Angeles; one to the midwest and another to NY.

Sent via USPS 2-3 Priority (as the parcel weighed more than 13 oz, so First Class service was not an option).

The cost to mail these (and the USPS rates are standardized for all, based on weight and parcel size) was between $6.00-7.50 USD.

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:25 AM »
I think EMP should partner with a shipping depot in their own town if possible...

Someone who would ready to keep stuff in much longer period at a fee and combine everything into one or two packages for shipping with lower third-party shipping service.

Considering the amount of posters bought by people abroad in EMP (I don't exactly the rate of abroad customer on Pay&Hold but I guess it is quite a large number), I am sure it can be profitable business for any shipping depot ???

Mirosae

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 02:54:42 AM »
We never "make" money on shipping, because we always charge what we pay (or less) plus $3 for packing materials.

I have sometimes considered using flimsier, lighter weight tubes and boxes, but I would be trading one problem (people who complain the shipping is "too high") for another (lots of damaged packages and tubes).

We also will send via any method the buyer wants (if it is more than our flat rate price, they must pay the difference).

We always quote all USPS and UPS options (we don't quote FED EX or DHL, but if the buyer wants, we would send those ways).

Your gorila tubes are superb. So is your shipping. I wouldn't change a thing!

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 05:47:20 AM »
Your gorila tubes are superb. So is your shipping. I wouldn't change a thing!

thumbsup.gif
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 06:19:08 AM »
Indeed.  Not a thing.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
Just to let you chaps know that the posters arrived on Monday but family birthdays and other events have meant that I have yet to gaze upon them. What about that for self control?! However I have every intention of opening up the tube later tonight. And thanks again for all the advice which led me to request a more affordable  USPS delivery. Better still, the customs charges were very decent thank goodness, coming in at about £17 ($27). Phew!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
That's great news, Nick...ALL the way around! And did the tube arrive dent and ding-free?

I would bet that PM packaged your posters like something coming out of Fort Knox.

Cant wait for you to see the end results!

And please post some images here, if you are so inclined!!!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
All safe and sound! And I am utterly, utterly delighted.

This Edwardian Wincycle poster had it's separated section reattached and the whole thing was then mounted on linen. No other brush-ups required on my part but whatever they dip it in obviously does it the power of good! Here are the before and after snaps...

Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 07:19:10 PM »
 clap clap clap clap clap

beautiful, Nick!

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
Cheers Steve!

Thanks Jeff. I'm really rather chuffed at just how beautifully it's turned out. Sadly it is rather large otherwise I'd have it on display in a flash.

Now this one - The Chieftain - was a risky acquisition made after viewing nothing more than a very poor photograph of it hiding behind glass. I was concerned that I might end up with nothing more than a laser photocopy but thankfully it has now been given the thumbs up as late Victorian (c 1895) and pukka. I was heartened by the fact that this was already on old linen when I stumbled across it (I could just about make out the whisps in the snap), so I had it remounted and its four old pinholes removed from view...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:35:22 PM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.