Author Topic: Fake E.T. beging sold as "Original movie poster" on Ebay shock horror ;)  (Read 2327 times)

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
I saw this posting on Ebay today>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331654897606?euid=b12bf3df41294835a955f2bfa69d64c2&cp=1
And thought nice, I've been after this for a while but it usually goes for a lot more than I'm willing to pay, So I thought I'll put a bid(insert snipe here) in towards the end of the auction, Then I had a closer look at the light coming in through the tree just upper right of the T in the E.T logo.
As in the image I found on a website the original tree should have a blurry look rather than the sharper look as in the fake bootleg one, The blurry look light through the tree can also be seen more clearly just below and to the left of the red highlight ring, Again look at the bootlegs much sharper light/tree shot.

So I sent the seller this message>
"Pretty sure this is fake, If you compare it an original version yours is sharp where it should not be as in the fake version and blurry where it should be sharp like this>
http://originalvintagemovieposters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ET-Authentication.jpg
Very much doubt your friend bought this from Cinemasterpieces without them informing him it's a re-print. If you look at Cinemasters auction for the same poster at $2k + you can even see there version is blurry on the light coming through the tree line next to the E.T. logo as in your 3rd pic from the right on your auction page."

Which he replied>
"Well they sold me a fake one then, & I need to make my money back!"

And he came back with>
"Just contacted cinema masters, and they said mine is authentic!"

So I sent>
"So why does it look like the fake one in your pics and does match cinema masters own picture from their auction ? Again look at yours in the area that I mentioned>light coming through the gaps by the T in the E.T logo, Sharp in yours blurry on cinema masters like it should be if original>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-T-CineMasterpieces-RARE-BIKE-MOON-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-1982-ET-/191279841493?hash=item2c892ac0d5
Just zoom into yours and then cinema masters and you'll see what I mean. This poster usually goes for upwards of $1000 for an original good condition one (not based on inflated ebay prices) "

To which he replied>
"I have no idea, but we'll see."

So what do you guys think ? is just naive or just another scummy ebayer trying to pull a fast one ? or am I totally wrong ?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Fake E.T. beging sold as "Original movie poster" on Ebay shock horror ;)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
Why don't you message Dave from Cinemasterpieces? 

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
I would ask for more photos from the ebay seller...His pictures now dont seem to be good enough to see the light in the trees etc.  A bad photo (dark) can appear to be a repro for this poster.
And if he is implying he bought it from David (Cinemasterpiece) then he is losing tons of money.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »
Only Cinemasterpieces gets Cinemasterpieces prices
Chris

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Don't know his pictures seem clear enough but then I am viewing them on a 50 inch TV  :o
Edit**one of his pictures shows clearly that the light is way too sharp to be an original, I've highlighted the most obvious area, Plus if you look at the actual branches and E.T logo also looks too sharp in his pic.

Again look at how the boot leg looks in comparison>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:28:21 PM by gargoyle67 »

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
I don't know the history of these posters, but Tucson gets mentioned a lot.

We discussed this one last month, which folks on here thought was a fake too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-T-THE-EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL-1982-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-DREW-BARRYMORE-27-by-41-/191657902343?hash=item2c9fb38107&nma=true&si=S79cjeaexthXATYvcEGDeVoY3qs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
-Brian

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 05:37:18 PM »
Yes looking at that and the fake print I'd say that one was fake too, Was it generally thought fake by the forum also then ?

This is was cropped from CineMasterpieces auction page for their E.T poster, Notice it looks nowhere near as sharp as the bootleg>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:34:47 PM by gargoyle67 »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:29:07 PM »
but  his auction he doesn't say its from Dave

(sic)
aquired this movie poster from an aquantence who purchased this from masterpieces whom worked at the old Tucson studios who told me this particular print was never intended for theatrical display, instead was printed for the cast and crew.

and in his reply, again, doesn't really mention Dave or Cinemasterjesus

"Just contacted cinema masters, and they said mine is authentic!"

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »
That seller sounds useless

What he is try say is CineMasterPrices

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
All sounds like the old word flippero game, to try and fool folks and make 'em think the poster was from CMP to begin with.  eyeroll

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:50:07 PM »
Where did you get the repro vs. original photos from?
Chris

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 02:06:28 AM »
but  his auction he doesn't say its from Dave
(sic)
and in his reply, again, doesn't really mention Dave or Cinemasterjesus

I think that was a mistake on my part I assumed he meant CM, It does sound a bit fishy though as he said his friend bought the poster originally so why he calling Cinemasters and not his friend ?

Where did you get the repro vs. original photos from?

From here>
http://www.originalvintagemovieposters.com/?p=12090
Although I remember Mel's site having a similar pic saying the same when the site was up.