Author Topic: Japanese Posters  (Read 66304 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Japanese Posters
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Thanks.  It's a B1.  I think that's the only size they were made.  They're pretty darn rare.  I got it from Hideyuki's website, Raizin Japan, when he first started it.  He's still on eBay as movieposter-Japan!   I think Steve aka dsonesheets here said he had one a few months ago.

But yeah, it's a rad movie, and this one from Japan is a cool style.  8)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »
Nice, Brandon!

And congrats again. Great score.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2015, 09:47:06 PM »
Thanks.  It's a B1.  I think that's the only size they were made.  They're pretty darn rare.  I got it from Hideyuki's website, Raizin Japan, when he first started it.  He's still on eBay as movieposter-Japan!   I think Steve aka dsonesheets here said he had one a few months ago.

But yeah, it's a rad movie, and this one from Japan is a cool style.  8)

I believe I sold mine to Vesna, you might ask her about it Ted.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »
To clarify some confusion about eirin marks: Basically every poster printed after 1965 is required to carry an eirin mark. Exceptions are extremely limited arthouse releases. So the PULP FICTION B2 posted here is definitely no cinema release poster. I believe it was either used for promotions (free gift for the purchase for a cinema ticket for example) or used to advertise the soundtrack CD in music stores.

Armin

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2015, 07:53:51 AM »

Watchmen is available as B2 as well.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
Japanese posters are cool.

Too hard to pick a few favs, so here's my collection so far (from most recent to oldest.)

T
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:29:53 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »

Too hard to pick a few favs, so here's my collection so far (from most recent to oldest.)

T

So many very cool and beautious ones, there, T!!  clap clap

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 04:38:26 PM »
I agree Jeff. My favourite Japanese posters have minimal script but strong imagery. That red Tron is great!

Mark

So true, Mark.

Like many things Japanese, it's all about placement, as well as the open spaces.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 06:58:36 PM »
So many very cool and beautious ones, there, T!!  clap clap

Work in progress, Jeff, always work in progress.  It's funny how it's never what you have that counts, but what you don't have.  I have 12-15 more coming to me in the coming week, and that's what I'm excited about.  The rest is just old news.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »

T

Hey T at the top of your page it states "4 Speed"  but I only see three.  I think your database is counting the movie "Speed" ??

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 07:48:16 PM »
Um, I have no idea what you're referring to.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2015, 08:06:13 PM »
www.eatbrie.com/Japanese.htm  "1,002 Posters, including 12 B0s, 335 B1s, 9 Taketans, 639 B2, 4 Speed and 3 1/2 B2s"

I see only three Speed sized Japanese posters on the above link and was wondering if the top tagline (above) is counting the movie "Speed" as a poster whos size is speed.  Ugh I am horrible at communicating via typing. :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Very funny :)  This is actually pretty good.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »
Work in progress, Jeff, always work in progress.  It's funny how it's never what you have that counts, but what you don't have.  I have 12-15 more coming to me in the coming week, and that's what I'm excited about.  The rest is just old news.

T
Based on MAGG's email yesterday I think its time this forum had a "12 step program" thread
Some of us need some help!  violin.gif verydrunk.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »
Talk to my wife.  She can't wait for me to die so she can burn it all down.  She asked me to put it all in storage when we move, so she doesn't have to deal with it.  Not that she has to deal with it so much to begin with, since there are only 3 posters in the house.  But even that is already too much for her.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
This is not one that I own, but I helped the owner, by writing a JP dealer I have dealt with, to ask what this size poster is called, in Japanese. I was told it's referred to as a tokudai 3 sheet.

It measures 40x90 inches, and is the size of three B1s stacked one above the other, horizontally. According to the JP dealer I was in touch with, this size poster is exceedingly rare. But what a presentation it makes.  clap clap

It's for the 1962, Samurai film, called KIRU (DESTINY'S SON).

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:17:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
very nice.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
Well done, Jeff. 

Do you know much about where tokudai were/are used, what years they were made, etc.?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:49 PM »
Well done, Jeff.  

Do you know much about where tokudai were/are used, what years they were made, etc.?

I don't, at this point, Brandon.

The owner (he's in the US) said he had not seen one before, and the JP dealer I was in touch with only made mention of their scarcity, due to their size.

I will email the dealer in Japan and see if he has any more info on this size and when they might have been more in use.

At this point we at least know they were printed and used in the early 60's, so that's a start.

He has it listed on the bay, right now, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331686728562?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:30:29 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2015, 01:34:17 AM »
from Armin at posteroid.com

Horizontal Three Sheets
Three sheets were issued until the late 60’s and are now very rare. They consist of three separate B1 sheets that together form a horizontal design.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »
from Armin at posteroid.com

Horizontal Three Sheets
Three sheets were issued until the late 60’s and are now very rare. They consist of three separate B1 sheets that together form a horizontal design.

Yes, I've seen numerous horizontal billboards (3xB1), but this is the first time I'm seeing a vertical billboard. 

Doesn't surprise me though... while Japanese posters are almost always printed on standard paper sizes (B3, B2, B1, B0), on occasion they played around with the layout of multi-sheet posters.  For instance, the vast majority of B0's from around this time were printed as 2xB1 (29x40 each) and arranged side-by-side to result in either a 40"x58" portrait poster or a 58"x40" landscape poster.  However, I have a B0 that is still made from 2xB1, but they turned the B1s sideways so the poster is 29"x80" panoramic landscape! 

I also tracked down vertical three sheet that is arranged just like your poster, but it made from (3) B0 posters -- so it's nearly 5' wide and 10' tall!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
I have several of these large vertical posters and know them as King Size (キング サイズ). They are pretty rare.

Armin

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »
Really cool how they combine several of the standard size posters to make the larger formats. 

Yes, I've seen numerous horizontal billboards (3xB1), but this is the first time I'm seeing a vertical billboard. 

Doesn't surprise me though... while Japanese posters are almost always printed on standard paper sizes (B3, B2, B1, B0), on occasion they played around with the layout of multi-sheet posters.  For instance, the vast majority of B0's from around this time were printed as 2xB1 (29x40 each) and arranged side-by-side to result in either a 40"x58" portrait poster or a 58"x40" landscape poster.  However, I have a B0 that is still made from 2xB1, but they turned the B1s sideways so the poster is 29"x80" panoramic landscape! 

I also tracked down vertical three sheet that is arranged just like your poster, but it made from (3) B0 posters -- so it's nearly 5' wide and 10' tall!

Do you have any photos of these?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »
Really cool how they combine several of the standard size posters to make the larger formats. 

Do you have any photos of these?

No pics yet, but possibly soon as I continue slogging through photographing my collection.  With any luck I'll be launching my site soon and some of them will be offered there.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:11:37 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
I have several of these large vertical posters and know them as King Size (キング サイズ). They are pretty rare.

Armin

Was "King Size" in reference to the 3xB1 that Jeff pictured?  Or was your response to my post about the 3xB0?