Author Topic: Japanese Posters  (Read 65725 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Japanese Posters
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2019, 11:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the B2 sleeves, Redman.  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the B2 sleeves, Redman.  Okie
will cost you a bit in postage okie ;) having said that, i have had mylar sleeves shipped from US to me in the past eyeroll

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2020, 11:34:48 AM »
Just throwing this out here, has anyone ever bought or seen a Japanese B2 or B1 for Badlands?
Googling just brings up DVD cover artwork.

If anyone knows of one, please fill me in !  notworthy.gif

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2023, 01:47:28 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/05/studio-ghibli-hayao-miyazaki-final-film-how-do-you-live-no-trailers-promotion

just wondering if the December poster is now super rarity or is easy to get for those that want it?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/05/studio-ghibli-hayao-miyazaki-final-film-how-do-you-live-no-trailers-promotion

just wondering if the December poster is now super rarity or is easy to get for those that want it?

I've been looking for one and haven't seen it come up, so I think they're pretty rare. I hope the film is good!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2023, 07:19:24 PM »
I've been looking for one and haven't seen it come up, so I think they're pretty rare. I hope the film is good!

To update on this - I think they sold them in Japan as a flood of them came onto the market in the end!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »
I have a huge stack of chirashis, I don't know, something like 2,000, maybe more.  People just send them for free, they're not worth anything but I've kept them nonetheless.  Some are pretty cool.

Does anyone know how many of these posters make it to B2s (all of them?  50%) and how many make it to B1s?  In other words, does every movie released in Japan gets a chirashi and a B2?  I'm guessing less B1s, but maybe they all do too.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2023, 09:00:32 PM »
Since so many more are printed and usually more available than all other formats, they're not as valuable, but I wouldn't say they're worthless.  The chirashi are worth something to many folks, especially in Japan where it seems there are more collectors for them.  There are some photos of really well done collages of chirashi, and I think a lot of folks could keep them in something like a scrapbook with movie tickets, etc., and especially with the much smaller homes in Japan, chirashi are much easier to store. 

To your question, it seems like the vast majority of one side of chirashi artwork is printed in B2, and fairly often B1 formats. I've never gotten clear answers on numbers, percentages, etc. of different formats, so I'm not sure who would know the specifics.

Here's a good article from JPoster.net about chirashi aka B5: https://www.jposter.net/main/about-chirashi.asp

As JPoster.net said, the only time chirashi are available is when they're in the theaters while the movies are showing.  The distribution companies probably require the theaters to return any that haven't been picked up by moviegoers, after the movies are no longer showing, kinda similar to B1s as discussed in this thread:

From: MoviePoster Collectors [mailto:moviepostercollectors@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2018 6:43 AM
To: Hideyuki Takizawa
Subject: Re: Dear Mel, Japanese Movie Posters

Hello, I have some questions:

Why are B1 posters less popular in Japan than B2s?

Do studios print and distribute equal numbers of B1 and B2 posters to theaters?

Thanks

Top Japan MP dealer:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/movieposter-japan%21

Sep 2, 2018, at 6:58 PM, Hideyuki Takizawa <movieposterjapan@power.odn.ne.jp> wrote:

Regarding the B1 posters, they are tightly managed by the film distribution company.
Since the theaters must promptly return the B1 posters to the film distribution company after the movie is released,
these B1 posters will hardly be distributed to the general market.
Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 09:36:07 PM by Neo »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
So from what I read here, vast majority is like 90% and fairly often like 70%.  Seems accurate.

I own a few B2s, but I'm really only interested in B1s.  Since I don't know how to access Ebay Japan and I am waaaay too lazy to try harder, my reach is extremely limited.  But it's interesting to know there are so many B1s out there.

Thanks,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2023, 07:16:57 PM »
So from what I read here, vast majority is like 90% and fairly often like 70%.  Seems accurate.

I own a few B2s, but I'm really only interested in B1s.  Since I don't know how to access Ebay Japan and I am waaaay too lazy to try harder, my reach is extremely limited.  But it's interesting to know there are so many B1s out there.

Thanks,

T

I don't know about those percentages but maybe somewhere in that ballpark. It would be interesting to hear specific numbers of print runs, how many are requested to be returned to the distributors (as Hideyuki mentioned above), which distributors are more strict about returning them, etc.