Author Topic: Occasional Log On Issues to APF  (Read 35149 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Occasional Log On Issues to APF
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
Ive had this situation happen a few times over the last couple months, where  I have been on APF, then refresh the page, and the (mac) pie wheel spins, waiting to connect to APF, until it times out and I cannot log on. Thing is i can get on to any and all other sites i try.

I am using an Apple Express wireless router. Ive reset the Apple express router (to default settings, so i had to create a new network) and powered both my cable modem and AE down to power cycle them, but that hasnt done the trick, so far.

Right now, I am hardwired to my laptop via an ethernet cable running directly from my cable modem to my mac. And with this setup, I can log onto APF just fine.

Anyone else have this kind of issue, or know what might be happening? I was thinking the IP in the airport express might be blocking randomly my access to APFs IP, but i cant imagine why it would just suddenly and randomly do this.

All odd, as ive tried the various troubleshooting, and so far, nada, today.   :-\

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:34:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Re: Occasional Log On Issues to APF
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »
Ive had this situation happen a few times over the last couple months, where  I have been on APF, then refresh the page, and the (mac) pie wheel spins, waiting to connect to APF, until it times out and I cannot log on. Thing is i can get on to any and all other sites i try. I am using an Apple Express wireless router. Ive reset the Apple express router (to default settings, so i had to create a new network) and powered both my cable modem and AE down to power cycle them, but that hasnt done the trick, so far.

Right now, I am hardwired to my laptop via an ethernet cable running directly from my cable modem to my mac. And with this setup, I can log onto APF just fine.

Anyone else have this kind of issue, or know what might be happening? I was thinking the IP in the airport express might be blocking randomly my access to APFs IP, but i cant imagine why it would just suddenly and randomly do this.

All odd, as ive tried the various troubleshooting, and so far, nada, today.  :-\

Did you block yourself?    ;D  This is what was happening to me on my entire modem, wireless and hard wired...  It resolved itself in a week or so.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »
Did you block yourself?    ;D  This is what was happening to me on my entire modem, wireless and hard wired...  It resolved itself in a week or so.

Thanks Charlie.

This happened (again) last night. I was on APF, and when i did a page refresh, I initially got a window, saying something to the effect: "Sorry, SMF (Simple Machines) cannot access the database. Please try again, later."

When I refreshed that page and tried again, thinking the issue would have resolved, is when the "pie wheel of doom" spun until the connection timed out. So i didnt do anything out of the ordinary. And it was that way this AM, too, when i fired up the laptop first thing.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
Everything works fine for me, Jeff.

Too much  potroll.gif maybe?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:32 PM »
Maybe...  ;D

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
Frustratingly been happening to me over the last week, well, similar. Just this site, can't connect to. My Android phone and also Surface Pro 3 tablet/laptop (windows). Strange as I just have the problem while in a particular shopping centre via their free WiFi. Can access other sites except this. It times out, I think with a can't connect to server on the laptop and on phone load bar hangs about at 15%. If I turn off the WiFi and connect via my the usual mobile tower connection it works, then switch back to the shopping centre WiFi it doesn't. Then after an hour it might connect again after many attempts. Yesterday I thought I figured it out that accessing the site via a bookmark to the unread posts page was the problem as I decided to search in Google for apf then clicked on the home page link which got me in. So Jeff, still trying to figure this one out!...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:17:41 PM by 50s »

Mirosae

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »
Ari is having issues too. Apparently he has tried several times and couldn't log on. He FB d me about something and mentioned it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Frustratingly been happening to me over the last week, well, similar. Just this site, can't connect to. My Android phone and also Surface Pro 3 tablet/laptop (windows). Strange as I just have the problem while in a particular shopping centre via their free WiFi. Can access other sites except this. It times out, I think with a can't connect to server on the laptop and on phone load bar hangs about at 15%. If I turn off the WiFi and connect via my the usual mobile tower connection it works, then switch back to the shopping centre WiFi it doesn't. Then after an hour it might connect again after many attempts. Yesterday I thought I figured it out that accessing the site via a bookmark to the unread posts page was the problem as I decided to search in Google for apf then clicked on the home page link which got me in. So Jeff, still trying to figure this one out!...

Steve, it happened again to me last night, even when I was "hardwired" direct via an ethernet cable from my modem. This time is happened after I tried to cut and paste some text, getting that infamous 402 error, many of us have gotten from time to time. Either it being due to html, too many characters (letters) written. I'm not really sure what that issue is about either.

Anyhow, after the 3rd try to post a reply, i was once again locked out, and had that bloody time out issue. So, to resolve it, i again, disconnected the hardwire/ethernet,  and went back to my Airport Express wireless router/base station.

Whatever that did, allowed me to once again get back onto apf. Frustrating, tho, to say the least. Grrrr. 

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:17:39 PM »
took me about a week,
I tried on 2 different computers, my phone and ipad.
I got a time out error.
I tried many times every day.
today it loaded fast.
odd.
I thought Ted banned me.  :'( :P >:D
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
I'm back at the mall. Can't connect to APF using their WiFi, can connect if using the mobile tower ( no WiFi ) . Same thing at the library. Via phone and laptop. So in my case I'm guessing that APF site is being blocked by the wifi providers filter.

Now is working again on WiFi... Argh. Wish I could figure this out

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:35:34 PM by 50s »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 10:44:10 PM »
It's easy guys - APF obviously hates LA and Australia equally
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »
 laugh1

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 10:59:17 PM »
I blame TRUMP
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »
Or the NSA!

;D

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »
Or Fox News! 
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »
same thing  :-X
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 11:08:11 PM »
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 07:58:08 AM »
APF makes it hard to hobo-looking inmigrants to pass.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »
I also had nothing but problems a few weeks back. I could access everything but APF. We talked about it in great depth Jeff. BUT did we ever figure out what the problem was? I thought it was AT&T uverse, I gave them an ear full when I called them  moron1
This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 11:59:55 PM »
Chris, it may have something to do with the SMF server and IPs getting blocked for some reason, when errors occur. That's what happened when i was unable to log in, those few times.. I got the 402 error and some database error. Upon the refresh or retrying to log in, I was unable, with the message that "the server is taking too long to respond" and the subsequent time out.

Dont know the inner guts of it all, tho. Would like to know, tho, why this happens with the SMF server.

To be continued.......

:)

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 01:48:34 AM »
Tried using a different browser this time on my phone - Chrome and gives me the below error message where using firefox just hangs

Sorry about the big image...

Though a good thing... whenever I have gone to preview my post it previews!!! (I am using Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 01:51:13 AM »
Rereading the error message, Jeff, do you have access to the forum server logs? You might be able to figure out the cause of some of the connection issues.

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 02:12:08 AM »
Rereading the error message, Jeff, do you have access to the forum server logs? You might be able to figure out the cause of some of the connection issues.

This is a good idea, though a log would be a nightmare to search IMHO unless you have an exact time and date.
This Space For Rent!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »
This is a good idea, though a log would be a nightmare to search IMHO unless you have an exact time and date.

I'll offer to look thru the log for errors, or Jeff can check the time stamp of my previous post which was 10mins after I got the error screen which indicates the time.

Took me 10 mins as I needed to email the screen grab over to my laptop where I could upload ftp the image to my website, then make the post here

But just as a reminder, the current version of software this forum runs on is quite outdated and almost certainly it is unsupported, so I expect things to start falling over. I'm surprised it is still going as well as it is... Checking the logs might only be useful for fixes that can be made that isn't dependant on this old version of software (i.e. something that can be supported).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 04:03:12 AM »
Steve and Chris.

I will take a look-see at the forum log tomorrow, to see if it gives any clues.

Here's hoping.

girly2.gif

-Jeff