Author Topic: Question about Japanese poster size  (Read 8257 times)

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
Question about Japanese poster size
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:22:40 PM »
I recently came across a fully folded poster for Mononoke. It measures approx. 31x43 (slightly bigger than B1), the graphic and text is really sharp with erin mark and everything, but on ultra thin paper. It was really cheap so I didn't think and bought it. I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about this size or this poster. I suspect it is from some promotion book or magazine, but I'm not sure. I appreciate all your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Here is a picture:
Chengbo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Question about Japanese poster size
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:01:59 AM »
While we wait for Japanese poster pros to weigh in on your question (which I don't have an answer for), I just want to say that I love that design.
Mononoke is one of my all-time favorites and that poster is the bomb.
I do hope it is an original and you display it proudly for many years to come.
 cheers

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »
If it has an eirin mark, it is no promotion poster but a regular movie poster (promotion posters are not allowed to carry eirin marks). It is also no tie-up poster because it only advertises the film, no other products or services (tie-up posters carry eirin marks). So it is definitely the real thing.

The size is odd though because even without the white borders it seems too large for a B1. Not sure what they used it for.

Armin

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
Re: Re: Question about Japanese poster size
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »
If it has an eirin mark, it is no promotion poster but a regular movie poster (promotion posters are not allowed to carry eirin marks). It is also no tie-up poster because it only advertises the film, no other products or services (tie-up posters carry eirin marks). So it is definitely the real thing.

The size is odd though because even without the white borders it seems too large for a B1. Not sure what they used it for.

Armin
Thanks Armin. Sorry that the picture is a little confusing. The poster does not have a boarder. The boarder is just another poster underneath.
Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
I like this poster very much, wormie.

Congrats on the pick-up!

cool1

-Jeff

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
I like this poster very much, wormie.

Congrats on the pick-up!

cool1
I like it a lot. It is different from the vertical design. But the more I like it, the more I want to know its origin.
Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
I like it a lot. It is different from the vertical design. But the more I like it, the more I want to know its origin.

I have one that I picked up about a month ago..also a Japanese piece. It's an odder size and its subject matter (the imagery) is almost "propagandistic." I know a few things about it, but not a lot. And, like yours, wormie, the size is off and bit from the normal printed sizes. I will post it shortly.

That being said, I can empathize with you.. totally.

girly2.gif

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:44:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:48:49 AM »
I think I figured it out where this poster was from. I didn't even read carefully the fine print of the posters at the corner before I saw somebody else sells another copy with better picutres than mine (http://www.mandarake.co.jp/information/2015/05/17/21nkn02/). It was indeed from a magazine, called "Animage". The magazine is published by Tokuma Shoten since 1978. Many of Hayao Miyazaki's work was serialized in this magazine. In 1997, the magazine features The Princess Mononoke and this poster was folded and attached at the back of the magazine. I'm not sure if an eirin mark is appropriate for such a promotional poster in magazine. Anyway, still try to find a cheap way to hang it and still try to fine a B1  :D Thank you all for your input.
Chengbo

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
First time I am seeing something like this. There are not many Japanese reprints and usually they are B2 size and vertical.
Eirin marks are only for cinema posters, video posters for example do not carry one. But reprints do because they are recreated from the original cinema posters.

Armin

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 04:02:51 PM »
Congratulations Wormie, and thank you for sharing this information. Hayao Miyazaki's work is so unique  and wonderful. What a treat. Enjoy it. Hope you will frame it soon ( hope you can share how it looks all framed up here too!)

Mirosae

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

Mononoke is one of my all-time favorites and that poster is the bomb

Aren't you a wise owl  ;)

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 08:13:56 PM »
Thanks for your kind word Rosa. I will post pictures once it is up on the wall. It will be a pain with the irregular shape though. Hayao Miyazaki is indeed unique and I enjoyed his animations as a child and as an adult. Hopefully one day, I will get most of the posters for his movies. I know I have no chance to get even close to Holiday or some of you guys, but hopefully get a little bit closer :D

Congratulations Wormie, and thank you for sharing this information. Hayao Miyazaki's work is so unique  and wonderful. What a treat. Enjoy it. Hope you will frame it soon ( hope you can share how it looks all framed up here too!)
Chengbo

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
This is very interesting price for this particular poster. Not sure if the buyer still want it as much after he/she sees this thread. http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/animation/princess-mononoke-toho-1997-japanese-b1-43-x-305-/a/7125-86689.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I recently came across a fully folded poster for Mononoke. It measures approx. 31x43 (slightly bigger than B1), the graphic and text is really sharp with erin mark and everything, but on ultra thin paper. It was really cheap so I didn't think and bought it. I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about this size or this poster. I suspect it is from some promotion book or magazine, but I'm not sure. I appreciate all your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Here is a picture:

Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
Wormie, by comparison, can I ask (a general ballpark figure), for what you picked up your copy for?

-Jeff

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »
Wormie, by comparison, can I ask (a general ballpark figure), for what you picked up your copy for?
I think I paid 1200 yen for the poster and 2000 yen for the shipping with five other B1s.
Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
I think I paid 1200 yen for the poster and 2000 yen for the shipping with five other B1s.

So 1200 yen equals (today) about $10.58 USD and another $17.65 USD for shipping of your six B1 posters.

The one on HA sold for $776.75 (w/BP).

I'd say you got Quite the bargain there, wormie!  Congrats again!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Online wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »
The price in HA is crazy to me considering this is a magazine poster to begin with. It is not a rare poster, not $700 rare for sure. I think the price realized in emovieposter is more reasonable to me. http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2769972.html
Chengbo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
The poster HA sold is a magazine poster?  Are you guys positive it is the same poster?  What happened to the white borders?  If it is a magazine poster (which HA didn't specified) then someone need to let Grey know so he can tell the buyer.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4754

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:52 PM »
Yeah like T said someone should let them know, they advertised it as a B1. Certainly appears to be the same poster to me.

What happened to the white borders?
That was just a poster he had underneath it when he took the picture I believe.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
Not a hard poster to find for like 2000-3000 yen. T, I believe the white 'border' in the pics is probably just the paper it was rolled up in. The poster doesn't have a border. And this isn't definitive, but *I think* all the copies I've seen were folded like a French poster -- two times in each dimension -- presumably so it would fit in the magazine. Was the HA copy folded? Regardless, someone should probably tell Grey...

EDIT: Never mind. I just pinged Grey on this...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:27:33 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
Grey already responded that he's on the case!

I also found additional confirmation (separate from the mandarake link above) that this was included in the August 1997 issue of Animage, a magazine covering primarily anime.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 10:46:14 PM »

Thanks Armin.

Sorry that the picture is a little confusing. The poster does not have a border. The border is just another poster underneath.

8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:48:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »
Grey already responded that he's on the case!

Grey is great.  I only have positive things to say about the guy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 03:15:08 PM »
Grey is great.  I only have positive things to say about the guy.

T

+1

You know he is on this, and will get it all squared away and figured out. 

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
+1

You know he is on this, and will get it all squared away and figured out. 

He emailed me today that after confirming the info in this thread he cancelled the auction.