Author Topic: Displaying a/o framing Italian 4 foglio NON linen backed posters  (Read 14663 times)

Mirosae

Could you help me? I want to display this poster.  It has 2 sections, it is not linen backed and I dont want to LB this poster, so displaying it is difficult and I do not want to ruin it. I love this poster. I have plenty of wall space and it will look just gorgeous there! But how can i do it? I have tried to follow Steve's steps but with no much luck.
1- shall i join both sides with archival tape or archival glue stick at the back?  I worry the weight will just be too much
2-shall i pin it to the wall (middle section included?
2- shall I just give up and lb the poster?

Below is a snapshot.

Thank you in advance!!!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:56:30 AM by Mirosae »

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
Re: Displaying a/o framing Italian 4 foglio NON linen backed posters
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »
Unless the poster cost you several thousand dollars, I think pinning it to the wall is the best option. It will damage the poster a little bit and maybe knock a few dollars off the re-sale value one day, but that's a small price to pay for the joy of actually seeing it on the wall!

However, You could also join the two pieces with tape and hang it with non-penetrating methods, such as my patented two-pieces-of-wood-and-some-clippers contraption. I did that for a while in my old apartment with this Jean Rollin 4-foglio and it was spectacular!

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
Wow..just wow yours look fantastic!! Thanks a lot.. seeing yours has made me even more determined to do mine!!!

Is that painted wood? And what tape did you use ? I was going for archival tape...uhm... Thanks a lot!!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
Archival tape is best Rosa, and it will come off with lighter fluid when needs be.

Lining it up will be the hardest bit as it will need both pieces completely flat, and in the correct place....a glass table here would be great, as it will be face down to put the tape on the back. Don't try and tag one bit and re-align it as this will cause problems.

When it's done, rumbles hanging method looks as good as any...Take us a pic when you get it up. :)   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »
Actually, this particular poster came taped together when I bought it!

With the wood, I constructed a sort of "hinge" by cutting a long strip of linen and gluing it to the two pieces. This protects the poster from the wood and makes it very easy to line up the poster for hanging. Here is another example.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
Hey Rumble... be a nice fellow and send me Vampira Nuda so I can see how it hangs.
I'll return it whenever....  whistle.gif
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:08:56 AM by brude »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »
Btw, Rosa, that SHOOTIST poster is beautiful.
Congrats and best of luck on putting it up.
 cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »
Btw, Rosa, that SHOOTIST poster is beautiful.
Congrats and best of luck on putting it up.
 cheers

Thank you Ted, I think I will need more than luck! :P

Archival tape is best Rosa, and it will come off with lighter fluid when needs be.

Lining it up will be the hardest bit as it will need both pieces completely flat, and in the correct place....a glass table here would be great, as it will be face down to put the tape on the back. Don't try and tag one bit and re-align it as this will cause problems.

When it's done, rumbles hanging method looks as good as any...Take us a pic when you get it up. :)   

Thank you Paul, as ever very helpful- and wise. I see that tape might be better. And you are right, one of my main worries is getting all correctly together-i don't want to tear up the paper.

Thanks again Paul!! :)

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
Actually, this particular poster came taped together when I bought it!

With the wood, I constructed a sort of "hinge" by cutting a long strip of linen and gluing it to the two pieces. This protects the poster from the wood and makes it very easy to line up the poster for hanging. Here is another example.

Ohhh.. wow, yours looks pretty neat, well done! I like the idea of the linen, and I really like the idea of the wood. We are thinking here whether just using pins that would go through the walls tucking the wood closely to the wall, so the wood on linen will trap the paper, not the pins, ideally i could get the paper up sort of looking like an artificial frame.... We have some good pins..uhm...you have given me all great ideas!!!

:) ;) notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif thumbsup.gif

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
Ps- incidentally, next time I buy a huge poster like this, can you all remind me that sometimes a herald is best? Man...

#sizematter

;D ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »
Unless the poster cost you several thousand dollars, I think pinning it to the wall is the best option. It will damage the poster a little bit and maybe knock a few dollars off the re-sale value one day, but that's a small price to pay for the joy of actually seeing it on the wall!

However, You could also join the two pieces with tape and hang it with non-penetrating methods, such as my patented two-pieces-of-wood-and-some-clippers contraption. I did that for a while in my old apartment with this Jean Rollin 4-foglio and it was spectacular!

GREAT poster, rumble. And a great way to display it.

It looks/lokked fantastic that way!  clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »
Ps- incidentally, next time I buy a huge poster like this, can you all remind me that sometimes a herald is best? Man...

#sizematter

;D ;)

#yourhashtagsmakemesmile
#goodluckwiththedisplay
This Space For Rent!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
I've been investigating cheap framing for 4-foglios for a while now.  I've considered something like what rumble did, but I'm just too nervous to hang them "naked".  Especially with little kids running around. 

I am very seriously considering buying a 60" wide roll of this Mylar film.  I will likely use a piece on the front and back and secure them similarly to what rumble is doing.  There are hanging kits you can buy for $50 which add a bar at the bottom as well (linked below).  That slight weight should flatten out the poster with time, but you need to make sure to tape the seam well.  I am also thinking of *not* cutting down the mylar/poster hanger and just dealing with an extra 2.5" of space on the sides.  If I do that I might also put in a piece of this black 60" poly fabric.  If I use the black poster hanger (or make my own like rumble out of 2.5" wood painted black) that should offer a nice border around the poster.  All in I'm hoping to get by with an under-$100 4-foglio frame made with only conservation safe materials.  I probably won't be able to get around to doing this for another month or two, but when I do I'll share the results here. 

60" mylar roll ($100, enough for 7 posters front/back or 14 just fronts): http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/mylar-polyester-film-roll-stock/mylar-polyester-film
60" wide poster hanger ($50 each): http://posterhanger.com/products/posterhanger-by-jorgen-moller
60" black poly fabric roll ($100, enough for 14 backings) -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MBNBQG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30PR4CRXDRNBY

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »
Brilliant!
I like the mylar idea a whole lot, Matt.
Thanks for sharing those links.

cheers

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »
Using Mylar sleeves to protect and display posters is called encapsulation , a procedure used by people who work in libraries with the title paper conservator.  These people would be horrified by the idea of "linen-backing" an important piece of paper, and if you have the time they'll spend the whole day telling you why it is a terrible idea.  When you encapsulate a poster for display and preservation, you usually use a special solvent to deacidify the paper while you're at it.  One of several companies specializing in archival products is univeristyproducts.com, but there are others too. 

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 06:42:20 PM »
A long time ago I wrote a little blurb about poster preservation and display, which is still on my website:

http://www.musicman.com/mp/conserv.html

All this goes far beyond Rosa's need for simple display of a four-sheet, but it all gives useful perspective!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »
Brilliant!
I like the mylar idea a whole lot, Matt.
Thanks for sharing those links.

cheers

Thanks!  It's just an idea at this point, but I agree that it has a lot of potential. 

I have too many 4-foglios *not* to try this...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
A long time ago I wrote a little blurb about poster preservation and display, which is still on my website:

http://www.musicman.com/mp/conserv.html

All this goes far beyond Rosa's need for simple display of a four-sheet, but it all gives useful perspective!

Interesting reading, John.
Especially the 'encapsulation' option.
This sounds like a cut above mylar sleeves, with an option to seal?
Is the pictured example yours?
I'm not a fan of linenbacking but I do want to preserve some older titles with an eye on display.

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 06:32:57 AM »
Interesting reading, John.
Especially the 'encapsulation' option.
This sounds like a cut above mylar sleeves, with an option to seal?
Is the pictured example yours?
I'm not a fan of linenbacking but I do want to preserve some older titles with an eye on display.

The pictured example is mine.  I used to have an expensive sealing machine for making Mylar sleeves, but stopped using it because I don't have room to display anything and I've got too many posters anyway.   The sealing machine wasn't too good despite its high cost because it would leave gaps in the seal.  You can get double-sided tape that will do the same thing better and more quickly, but it doesn't look quite as slick.  You can also get special clippers to make nice little rounded corners for your sleeves.    The sleeves should not be completely sealed so the poster can "breathe" and not have condensation inside the sleeve.

John

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »
I use mylar pockets for all my posters and have never felt the need to seal the one opening end. I share John's view that the poster should be able to "breathe".

Mark

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »
I've been investigating cheap framing for 4-foglios for a while now.  I've considered something like what rumble did, but I'm just too nervous to hang them "naked".  Especially with little kids running around. 

I am very seriously considering buying a 60" wide roll of this Mylar film.  I will likely use a piece on the front and back and secure them similarly to what rumble is doing.  There are hanging kits you can buy for $50 which add a bar at the bottom as well (linked below).  That slight weight should flatten out the poster with time, but you need to make sure to tape the seam well.  I am also thinking of *not* cutting down the mylar/poster hanger and just dealing with an extra 2.5" of space on the sides.  If I do that I might also put in a piece of this black 60" poly fabric.  If I use the black poster hanger (or make my own like rumble out of 2.5" wood painted black) that should offer a nice border around the poster.  All in I'm hoping to get by with an under-$100 4-foglio frame made with only conservation safe materials.  I probably won't be able to get around to doing this for another month or two, but when I do I'll share the results here. 

60" mylar roll ($100, enough for 7 posters front/back or 14 just fronts): http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/mylar-polyester-film-roll-stock/mylar-polyester-film
60" wide poster hanger ($50 each): http://posterhanger.com/products/posterhanger-by-jorgen-moller
60" black poly fabric roll ($100, enough for 14 backings) -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MBNBQG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30PR4CRXDRNBY

Hey Matt, did you ever go through with this?