Author Topic: Looking for Interviews for Movie Poster Book  (Read 58945 times)

Offline Amanda_Sheriff

• Beginner
Looking for Interviews for Movie Poster Book
« on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »
Hello, my name is Amanda Sheriff. I'm a poster collector and I work for Gemstone Publishing (the folks who write the Comic Book Price Guide). I'm currently writing a book on movie poster collecting. It's a "how to" book with features on genres, franchises, artists, directors, etc., plus suggestions for framing and storage, info on linen backing and size definitions, etc.

We are also running interviews with industry professionals and we'd like to have interviews with actual collectors. I'm looking for collectors who are interested in being interviewed. If you are, please email me at samanda@gemstonepub.com.

Here is a link with more about the book: http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1023?articleID=161669

I look forward to hearing from you!

Amanda Sheriff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Looking for Interviews for Movie Poster Book
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »
Greetings, Amanda and  welcome1 to APF.
While you might be interested in interviewing some of us, we are certainly interested in the posters you collect.
Tell us more about yourself through your posters. What do you collect?
How does that sound?
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 11:08:57 PM »
 welcome1 Amanda.

Sounds like a great idea with the interviews, as well as touching on the various aspects of collecting.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:29:11 PM »
I haven't been to the other boards to see if Amanda has made the rounds yet, but she sure did come to the right place to find collectors as specialized and as fascinating as the membership here at APF.
While this might sound a bit like BS advertising/self promotion/brown nosing, we have such a truly eclectic roster with a diversity of tastes that spans all genres and all countries.
I hope some of us get on board with this project.
It would be good for the hobby and cool to read.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:48:25 AM »
I just really hope someone isn't actually attempting to write/compile a price guide!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 01:22:19 AM »
Did you never get the Poster price Almanac?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »
Did you never get the Poster price Almanac?

My copies came from Rochester - should I be worried?
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:09 AM »
A dude from Rochester randomly bought me a beer and a slice of pizza while waiting in line at the concession during the ball game yesterday... I tried to turn him down but he insisted I pay it forward instead.  A bit awkward in the end... but nice guy. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »
Just as long as he didn't offer you any minty whites
Chris

Offline Amanda_Sheriff

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »
First, I'd like to thank the folks who have already responded to my request. I will be emailing you tomorrow morning.

As for myself, I've been a movie lover since childhood. Not in the sense that pretty much everyone loves movies, but as a fan of the whole process. I love learning about behind the scenes details, like how directors establish their style, how actors put themselves in the right state of mind for a scene, goofs that made it into the movie, moments of improv, how stunts were performed, etc. I find all of that to be fascinating.

My movie poster collection consists of one-sheets from the the late '70s to now. My criteria is simple: posters from movies I love and posters with cool artwork.

I enjoy going to horror and comics/pop culture conventions, so I've been able to get a bunch of posters autographed by actors and actresses. My boyfriend and I have a Nightmare on Elm Street signed by Robert Englund (with a sketch of Freddy), Breakfast Club signed by Anthony Michael Hall, The Princess Bride signed by Cary Elwes, Boondock Saints signed by Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flanery, and David Della Rocco, Terminator 2 signed by Linda Hamilton and Robert Patrick, Halloween signed by John Carpenter and 6 actors who played Michael Myers, and Scream signed by Neve Campbell, Skeet Ulrich, and Roger Jackson.

Other favorites of mine are Batman Returns, Beetlejuice, Cabin in the Woods, Clue, The Dark Knight (advance style A), Dirty Dancing, A League of Their Own, Rent, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Star Wars: A New Hope (circus poster), A New Hope (style C), Empire Strikes Back (GWTW version), Return of the Jedi (style B), and Twister (both international versions).

If I had a wealthy disposable income I'd love to have The Bride of Frankenstein (style D), Dracula (style F), pretty much all of the Star Wars posters (specifically the Revenge of the Jedi teaser and the Japanese Millennium Falcon), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Some Like It Hot, How to Marry a Millionaire, Psycho, Vertigo, Grease, and plenty more.

My favorite artist is Drew Struzan. I think he's amazing, so I'd love to add the Back to the Future posters, Hook, Adventures in Babysitting, Masters of the Universe, and a bunch more. I also really like Saul Bass and Robert McGinnis.

As for the book, let me start with an easy question. No, this is not a price guide. That would be a herculean task. Gemstone, the company I work for, has started a line of books we refer to as "How to". We currently have a guide to collecting animation art, guide to collecting comics, and in November we'll release a guide to cosplay.

The goal is to provide info that is interesting and informative for people who have been collecting for years and those who are new to collecting. We'll define U.S. and international sizes, explain what linen backing is and the pros and cons of the process, ways to safely store posters, and provide a market overview that shares what popular posters sell for. We'll have features on Star Wars, James Bond, Universal Monsters, Disney, Tarzan, Blaxploitation, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Alfred Hitchcock, James Cameron, Jack Davis, Saul Bass, and other series, subgenres, directors, and artists. We'll have interviews with people who work in the industry at auction houses and as dealers, as well as interviews with collectors.

This book is truly a labor of love for me and I hope other collectors and movie fans will feel the same way.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the project Amanda.
Sounds to me like the right person is spearheading it -- you.
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
I like and relate to your collecting areas and genres, Amanda.

A great mix.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »
Guide to cosplay just in time for Christmas
Chris

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 06:25:46 AM »
Welcome Amanda, any relation the Robert Cedric?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 02:51:53 AM »
Welcome Amanda. This should be interesting. Take a look around the site. You'll find lots of different styles and tastes in movie posters; not just U.S. posters, but posters from around the world.As a former journalist, I do NOT envy you the task at hand. It will be an incredible undertaking. (Thank god I was never assigned such a mammoth project. Ha!) Best of luck to you.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
I wonder if lenticulars will find their way into the book  thumbsup.gif

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
I guess us from APF aren't good enough for the book...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
I guess us from APF aren't good enough for the book...

What happened?
Did you fail a piss test?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »
What happened?
Did you fail a piss test?

Failing one of those could be a real pisser, too, I imagine.   qip

-Jeff

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
Just seemed odd she never came back...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
She has been here recently. Maybe a day or 2 ago, I noticed her name down in the Online User list.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:11:14 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
I think she wants us to contact her if we are interesting in spilling our guts about the hobby.
I have too many secrets to tell about all of you, so I won't be participating.
 wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »
I think she wants us to contact her if we are interesting in spilling our guts about the hobby.
I have too many secrets to tell about all of you, so I won't be participating.
 wynk

Where do you guys think Mel went?  He's been assisting in writing this manuscript of course.  The truth is out there
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
Just seemed odd she never came back...

What a shame Paul, your quadllection is worth seeing!

So..did anyone here make it? Do I need to buy thr book ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:06:00 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
I was "interviewed" but I cant imagine it "making the book" hahaha (boring)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!