Author Topic: Glass or Acrylic?  (Read 31089 times)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
Glass or Acrylic?
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »
I'm having some work done to a couple of poster already mounted on board. I intend to get them framed as part of the process.

The guy doing the work, who obviously has far more experience than me, is recommending glass. I thought it was acrylic that most people went for these days because of it's UV filtering properties so that's what I suggested.

I wondered what the popular consensus was?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Glass or Acrylic?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
You can use glass but you have to be careful.  There is museum grade glass which is very expensive.  The benefits of plexi are that it is lighter (weight wise), cheaper, does not retain heat and provides UV filtering if you pay for it.

All-in-all I believe plexi is the way to go for standard framing situations...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:21:11 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »
Yes, UV rated plexi is the way to go. Glass retains much more heat, which is not good for posters (and moisture, if the surroundings are more humid), and is much heavier.

There are other threads on APF, where many knowledgeable members, including long time dealers and sellers, also have recommended plexi over glass.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
...and when the frame falls off the wall, gets hit by the kid's baseball, etc, acrylic doesn't shatter and cut the poster.

Been there.
-Jay-

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
A genuine thanks for all the good advice. It's all echoing what I originally thought from reading past posts on here and doing a little research. I just don't understand why my restorer/framer is telling me that glass is far superior and the right choice for those who care about these things. I think I'm going to have to insist on Acrylic from now on.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
So we've agreed on Acrylic at last. My next question is that I have a choice of 2mm or 3mm. Apart from the price, does anyone know how important that extra mm might be? I was thinking of going with 3 but I'm not sure why.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
So we've agreed on Acrylic at last. My next question is that I have a choice of 2mm or 3mm. Apart from the price, does anyone know how important that extra mm might be? I was thinking of going with 3 but I'm not sure why.
That is less important IMO.  The 3 mm will be stronger and will not flex as much.  You would probably be able to see the 2 mm flex in a slight breeze or when a door is opened.
-Jay-

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
These posters are concept posters so they are mounted on fairly sturdy hardboard already. I wonder if that would mean that from a strength perspective 2mm would be fine? There isn't a huge price difference but of course it all adds up.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
I don't know how important conservation/UV filtering is to you but I posted some pics of the plexi I use.  It is much thicker than what you are describing = sounds like what is being offered is closer to Spotlight Displays overlays that are thin enough to be rolled?

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7794.0.html
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
My mistake - the overlays I use are 3/32 inches or 2.3813 mm thick  :D
Chris

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
Thanks, I was wondering when I looked at your other post. I'm in the UK and haven't been able yo find the brand you are using. How do you find the anti-glare qualities? I'm not sure if I'd like to keep a few reflections.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 12:37:47 AM »
...and when the frame falls off the wall, gets hit by the kid's baseball, etc, acrylic doesn't shatter and cut the poster.

Been there.

And there it is...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 02:04:17 AM »

Been there.

Yessir.

Shard damage to a fallen poster frame would make one crying and howl, especially knowing it could have been avoided (were a frame to fall from the wall), had good quality UV plexi been used instead.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »
One picture speaks a thousand words.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
One picture speaks a thousand words.

Especially knowing the poster!

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »
WoW Paul...thats awful :-\   what kind of glass was it? Is that laminated glass? Mine are in museum glass which is also laminated, meant to keep it all together in case it shutters or breaks. And anti-fire too...but never dropped one on the floor to try it :-\
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:42:47 PM by Mirosae »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Glass retains much more heat

this is the biggest issue. Glass transfers heat to the paper and you lose moisture thereby turning the poster into a brittle mess. My 1952R Kong 1sh was framed under glass for 25 years. when I removed it it was brittle and had to be linenbacked.

use plexi

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

this is the biggest issue. Glass transfers heat to the paper and you lose moisture thereby turning the poster into a brittle mess. My 1952R Kong 1sh was framed under glass for 25 years. when I removed it it was brittle and had to be linenbacked.

use plexi

Rich, thank you for sharing this. My understanding is that both glass and plexi have come a long way in the last 10 years. No idea how yours was framed. I assume it was using the best framing techniques available 25 years ago. Heat & humidity are issues that should be addressed by the framer, using sealing techniques to help isolate conditions within the frame from those outside, whatever those might be.  As you know that's what you get with conservation frame these days, using all sort of new advanced products.

But ultimately to me it all is about a personal choice, as much as it is about the quality of the materials and frame (and costs).  Each of mine have been framed differently.  I  only go museum glass by a qualifed conservation framer with my most beloved posters. Others,  larger posters went acrylic. So I guess I have the best of both worlds ;)
 :D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:08:25 PM by Mirosae »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »

use plexi

Once again, great info, Rich. Thanks again for reiterating this information.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
Once again, great info, Rich. Thanks again for reiterating this information.

thumbsup.gif

you bet.. I don't need people to suffer like I did.
 welcome1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
you bet.. I don't need people to suffer like I did.
 welcome1

clap clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
I second that. Thanks for all the really useful info guys.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
I have a nice poster of Monte Hellman's COCKFIGHTER that I had framed in glass 15 years ago.  It slipped while I was holding it and barely hit the ground and the corner shattered.  I told myself I would never use glass again.  It's also amazing how much less acrylic weighs. 

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »
Especially knowing the poster!

Does the name Quasimodo ring a bell?
 wynk