Author Topic: For Better or for Worse - War/Political/Propaganda Posters that Inspire  (Read 62071 times)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
Wladyslaw T. Benda wasn't particularly known for his 'propaganda' posters, but of all his works, this is one of my favorites

You can look at more here: http://brudesworld.tumblr.com/tagged/wt-benda

I love it! That is one cool image.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: For Better or for Worse - War/Political/Propaganda Posters that Inspire
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
going down the stairs to the loo at the local pub the owner had this hung
I had a pat on the back and good chat with him, originally from london, nice fella

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 12:26:51 AM »
going down the stairs to the loo at the local pub the owner had this hung
I had a pat on the back and good chat with him, originally from london, nice fella

Great looking poster!  Do you know if it is an original or a reproduction?  It's cool either way, though.

I actually wasn't sure from the image if this poster was from WWI or possibly the Boer War.  In case anyone else was wondering a Google search confirmed it is in fact from WWI.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »
thanks Deke.  It is a 1914 original, 40x60.  Its huge!  (you can see a fold line going through it) The art is from a British woman, Lucy Kemp-Welch, who was commissioned by the government to paint the image for the poster.  This was the last year of enlistment until conscription the following year. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:34:13 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
Amazing and up for grabs from Grant Zahajko Auctions, LLC in WA

More travel poster than propaganda at the time, but in hindsight - a very foreboding piece!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2016, 07:44:45 PM »
Amazing and up for grabs from Grant Zahajko Auctions, LLC in WA

More travel poster than propaganda at the time, but in hindsight - a very foreboding piece!

That is a cool looking piece!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2016, 08:40:56 PM »
wow
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
this old classic sold recently for $4500 (framed)
Its been a steady sale for a few years around the 5K mark. 

I wish my wife would tolerate facial hair like that :D

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2017, 12:57:46 AM »
Still on my wanted list. One day...
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
Still on my wanted list. One day...

No pun intended...

"YOU want it."  :D

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder

guest4955

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
In case you missed it while 90% of the poster community was drooling and stepping over each other at HA, Bruce had a magnificent "single owner" political/war poster auction over at EMP this afternoon. 

Did anyone else participate? I picked up 8 incredible pieces I cannot wait to see in person. I think I saw Christian's name on the board somewhere...  Also wonder if our new Dutch member (patrickh) picked anything up.  And Mike?

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:47 PM »
In case you missed it while 90% of the poster community was drooling and stepping over each other at HA, Bruce had a magnificent "single owner" political/war poster auction over at EMP this afternoon. 

Did anyone else participate? I picked up 8 incredible pieces I cannot wait to see in person. I think I saw Christian's name on the board somewhere...  Also wonder if our new Dutch member (patrickh) picked anything up.  And Mike?

There were indeed some fabulous posters in that auction. When I saw that auction on the calendar I was really hoping there would be some good Mexican propaganda posters. Alas, while there were many cool pieces from other countries of Latin America I think there was only one from Mexico.

Maybe next time! And still a really cool auction! I now look forward to EMP's "special" auctions more than the regular movie poster auctions.

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
Really great auction. If I were buying at the moment, these would be musts for me:

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2017, 08:19:43 PM »
Real poignant piece from WW2.  This is one of those ultra rare pieces being sold at EMP this week.  The image says it all, but here's the narrative:

Ersatzkommando der Waffen SS (literally translates to "Replacement Command of the Waffen SS"), the 1943 Belgian World War II (WWII) recruitment poster created by the German occupying forces (likely aimed at Flemish men), and featuring Bertau art of a giant SS symbol literally slaying a Jewish/Bolshevik red dragon, with the silhouette of a German soldier holding a grenade in the background. Note that this is a fascinating poster on many levels. Toward the end of World War II, Germany had a massive need for more soldiers, and they actively recruited in some of the countries they occupied, including Belgium, where they targeted Flemish men. The poster has really wild art of the SS symbol (worn by Nazi members of the Schutzstaffel, the paramilitary brand of the Nazi Party that operated throughout German occupied Europe) literally stabbing a fallen red dragon, which has human remains by it, indicating that the dragon has been literally eating its victims. The dragon has a chain around its neck with both a Jewish star and a red Communist star with a hammer and sickle emblem. If you wonder why a dragon was chosen as the symbol, it was likely partly because the dragon was associated with the beast from The Book of Revelations, and also with Satan, and of course, Germany's greatest folk hero, Siegfried, slew a dragon, and no doubt the poster designer was looking for those parallels!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
Truly a powerful looking poster.

Intense dragon imagery, too.

Looks to be dated 1944.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »
Real poignant piece from WW2.  This is one of those ultra rare pieces being sold at EMP this week.  The image says it all, but here's the narrative:

Ersatzkommando der Waffen SS (literally translates to "Replacement Command of the Waffen SS"), the 1943 Belgian World War II (WWII) recruitment poster created by the German occupying forces (likely aimed at Flemish men), and featuring Bertau art of a giant SS symbol literally slaying a Jewish/Bolshevik red dragon, with the silhouette of a German soldier holding a grenade in the background. Note that this is a fascinating poster on many levels. Toward the end of World War II, Germany had a massive need for more soldiers, and they actively recruited in some of the countries they occupied, including Belgium, where they targeted Flemish men. The poster has really wild art of the SS symbol (worn by Nazi members of the Schutzstaffel, the paramilitary brand of the Nazi Party that operated throughout German occupied Europe) literally stabbing a fallen red dragon, which has human remains by it, indicating that the dragon has been literally eating its victims. The dragon has a chain around its neck with both a Jewish star and a red Communist star with a hammer and sickle emblem. If you wonder why a dragon was chosen as the symbol, it was likely partly because the dragon was associated with the beast from The Book of Revelations, and also with Satan, and of course, Germany's greatest folk hero, Siegfried, slew a dragon, and no doubt the poster designer was looking for those parallels!

I was bidding on this one even though I already have one in my collection.

To be honest I think the buyer overpaid for it... It was linen backed already although the condition was quite dirty.

I have seen several sites state that this is a rare poster, although I find the word rare is bandied about far too often.

I personally know of 5 or 6 collectors who have one and then there has been say 5 or 6 more that I have seen
auctioned in the past 24 months.

It is however one of the most sought after SS propaganda / recruitment posters although for me it does not even
make my top 10.

Beauty and desirability are in the eye of the beholder as they say.

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2017, 03:11:23 AM »
Truly a powerful looking poster.

Intense dragon imagery, too.

Looks to be dated 1944.

No date of 1944.

The signature reads as;

T.Bertrau
SS W.

The 'W' looks like 44 from far away and blurred.

The 44 on the bottom is the numbered address of the recruitment office in Brussel's.  ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »
Hi Christian,

I was meaning what looks like the number 44 below the artist's signature, not the large printed number at the bottom.

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
I think Jeff the confusion is you see 44 as per your zoomed pic, but Christian mentioned that exact spot it actually is a SS

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
I think Jeff the confusion is you see 44 as per your zoomed pic, but Christian mentioned that exact spot it actually is a SS

When I first looked at the poster and saw the signature, I saw what I thought was the number "44" under it (when i first commented about the poster).

I thought it might have indicated the year it was from, as artists often write the year near where they sign a piece of art. And they didnt look like a pair of S's to me.

But now I know.  :)

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
As long as it doesn't look like the horse that stars in WOTW we are good

;D ;) ;D :P

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:44 PM »
Here is the top corner from my poster.

I can understand how from afar that the SS does appear as if it could be 44.

I too have confused this on other posters and having a pixelated image does
not help when trying to clarify what is what.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:00:59 AM by erik1925 »