Author Topic: lost boys rolled quad  (Read 6956 times)

guest4288

Re: lost boys rolled quad
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm pleased to report that this is indeed an original quad and by the sound of it quite possibly rarer than the matt finish. 
My friend who printed quads during that time took a look at both the matt folded and the rolled version and both are Litho prints and not digital or modern day re prints.
It was really interesting as a litho print is made up of four colours, Cyan, Magenta, yellow and black and under strong magnification you can see the dot's that make up the colours and this was clear on both copies and are known as standard 4 colour prints. What sealed the deal was the orange tagline. On closer inspection there were no dots in that colour which means this was a separate reference colour and not a mixture of the 4 hense no dots making this a 5 colour print. This was identical on both which is concrete proof it's an original.

Another interesting one was there is a small amount of black bleed from the edges on the reverse which he said would have rubbed off when the the posters were stacked on top after printing.

In terms of the paper he believes it would have been a special run requested by a prestige cinema to more than likely be used inside making it much rarer than the matt finish as the Print quality is much better which is clear to see when viewed side by side
So there you have it! What a relief
A big thank you to Paul and everyone who give there time and input to this thread!
P.s if anyone has or knows anyone selling a rolled nightmare on elm street quad please let me know! :-))

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Glad to hear your poster is the real deal.
The info gleaned from this thread will help others, also.
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 12:07:42 AM »
COngrats, elvis.

Good to read that yours is the real deal!   thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 01:06:35 AM »
You should get it carbon dated to be ultra certain
Chris

guest4288

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 02:17:19 AM »

I feel there's jobs need. To be stood with the guy who used to print them first hand his knowledge is incredible when it comes to printing methods and techniques and he was 100% happy with it.
It was fascinating to see this magnified to expose this individual dots of colour. He said a scan or repro would still have dots but uneven and poor quality whereas these were spot on. The orange tagline sealed the deal as a repro would have dots in that too but as both of these shown a solid colour there was no doubt to its authenticity!!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 02:34:17 AM »

he is joking. :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 03:52:16 AM »
Thanks for reporting back Elvis. As Ted said, this has been an informative thread and it must have been very satisfying for an ex-printer to look over it for you. I would think that the higher quality version would have been used for West End cinemas and major cities during the first run and the other version for later and wider distribution. I am not sure the first version is necessarily rarer but rolled versions of either are uncommon.

However, do remember that if you have a full-size quad [30 x 40] it is very unlikely that it is going to be a reprint in the first place.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
I'm not sure I buy that the "better" quality version was made for select cinemas, distributors just don't do this kind of thing. They may do a different version, but not a "better" quality print of the same art...

There maybe a bit more digging to do on this yet, I have no problem with what the ex-printer says, but as to the use of the rolled poster, I'm not so sure about..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »
I'm not suggesting that they expressly ordered higher quality printing for the first wave of screenings Paul but rather quality control slipped slightly on the second print run. Or the second print run was printed at a different location.An alternative scenario, that they were printed at the same time but at different locations, is another possibility but less likely in my opinion. The copyright line on my folded and rolled examples is definitely less sharp than that on Ed's copy.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
It's still only assumption Mark, we're assuming the better one was a first printing, this may not be the case, it's more likely a second printing, when they realised the film was doing better than thought.

All I'm saying at the moment is we don't know for sure, it needs a bit more research..

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
I am just glad i didn't sell fake !

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 11:34:16 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm pleased to report that this is indeed an original quad and by the sound of it quite possibly rarer than the matt finish. 
My friend who printed quads during that time took a look at both the matt folded and the rolled version and both are Litho prints and not digital or modern day re prints.
It was really interesting as a litho print is made up of four colours, Cyan, Magenta, yellow and black and under strong magnification you can see the dot's that make up the colours and this was clear on both copies and are known as standard 4 colour prints. What sealed the deal was the orange tagline. On closer inspection there were no dots in that colour which means this was a separate reference colour and not a mixture of the 4 hense no dots making this a 5 colour print. This was identical on both which is concrete proof it's an original.

Another interesting one was there is a small amount of black bleed from the edges on the reverse which he said would have rubbed off when the the posters were stacked on top after printing.

In terms of the paper he believes it would have been a special run requested by a prestige cinema to more than likely be used inside making it much rarer than the matt finish as the Print quality is much better which is clear to see when viewed side by side
So there you have it! What a relief
A big thank you to Paul and everyone who give there time and input to this thread!
P.s if anyone has or knows anyone selling a rolled nightmare on elm street quad please let me know! :-))

That is some Rickard authentication work there. Wish he was still into the hobby, guy did some good work the years he was heavily attached to the hobby. Waybackmachine can get you some tidbits, but need to hit up Lieberman or some of the others smart enough to capture the pages for all the guts of each authentication.

guest4288

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
Hi again guys,
Not sure if I should start a new thread but as we're on the same topic of lost boys can anyone tell me what I might have here? I've just picked this up and I think it might be a bus stop poster but I'm not sure? It measures just over 54" by 38" and is rolled. It is the same paper stock as the rolled quad and is 100% a litho print. I've had it checked and the dots in the text are present and the red line above lost boys is a separate colour with no dots similar to the way the Orange was on the rolled quad. I think it might be rare as I've searched all over the web and I can't find another one. Any ideas?? I've tried to attach a photo but the site won't let me as its saying my upload folder is full so if anyone wants a pic let me know and I'll send you one.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
Hey Elvis..

I sent you a PM, but, real quickly.. you have to host any images to a site like flickr or photobucket, then insert them into your posts here, using the "INSERT IMAGE" tags. [ img ] [ /img ]. The icon looks like a small picture frame. Click on that will put the tags in your post.

Cut and paste the jpeg URL between those tags, and your image will then be in your post.  :D

Good luck.

-Jeff

guest4288

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »

Thanks Jeff
Hope this works?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 03:52:15 PM »
WOW!!

i LOVE THAT POSTER!!!  bed1

and yes, elvis, it worked like a charm!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:02:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »
Elvis,

What is the tiny print on the lower right border? I can't make it out.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »
At those measurements it's not a bus-stop, or 4sht poster...

As Jeff says, what does the print say on the bottom of the poster?

guest4288

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »

It says printed in Great Britain

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »
And that is the only printer's info, anywhere on the poster?

-Jeff

guest4288

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
Yea, that's it?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
Is there anything on the bottom left corner??  Name, company, number, etc.

I hate to say this, but that size was used by a company that did repros, or should I say Commercial posters. I have two or three myself, I'll check the sizes tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:44:11 PM by paul waines »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
Paul,

Does it matter that the "Printed In Great Britain" wording is not exactly level? Or does that make no difference?

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2015, 04:50:24 PM »
It's a bit suspicious, but not a guarantee..

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
I'm fairly confident that it's a commercial poster too. If it were a bus stop (UK 4-sheet) it would need to be close to 40" by 60" and this is significantly undersized. Also that 'printed in GB' isn't the kind of tag you'd see on a poster promoting a cinema release in 1987 (or a video release for that matter).
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper