Author Topic: lost boys rolled quad  (Read 6866 times)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
lost boys rolled quad
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »
hi all,
i need to get some other opinions from you chaps please.
I recently sold a lost boys uk quad rolled to a chap on ebay (possibly a forum member)
I have had just had a request to return it as is he suspects its a later reprint. The poster is the full 30 x 40, is of a high print quality and i obtained with a batch of other posters of the same vintage. So i have no doubts.
Back in the mid eighties and prior quads were definately printed with a matt finish , however i have several posters from mid eighties onwards where the paper changes and is of a silk (not gloss as per today) finish. These become more and more common as the years progress.
Eg i have from 1987, the Lost Boys, Witches of Eastwick, Predator quads all with this feel and and beyond 87, virtually all quads go this way, eg Leon, Usual suspects, terminator 2, etc etc

This chap is saying his existing poster which is folded is of a matt finish (he wanted a rolled one to replace the folded one) . I know there were folded quads given away with the album/12" single

The question i am asking is this, does anyone have a lost boys quad and can they tell where there's came from and whats the finish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201391996369?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2648

The gentlemen who is returning is saying he asked emovieposter and the quad posters in the albums were as a result of over printing and were identical which doesnt sound right to me.

I have never doubted this poster, given its size, quality, finish, and the fact it came with other posters of the same vintage ie blue Velvet, witches of eastwick, withnail and i, predator etc

needless to say i am taking the poster back whatever the outcome as i dont want my feedback ruined

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:55:17 AM by originalcinemaposters »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: lost boys rolled quad
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:51:19 AM »
I have a folded one. I'm not sure if it's from a cinema or from the 12" release (how do you tell the difference?). I'm pretty sure it's a matt finish from memory.

Eddie has a rolled one, might be worth dropping him a PM to compare notes? Please do share for future reference. Thanks!
http://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/the-lost-boys-quad-uk/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:52:56 AM by Tob »

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »
thanks, i have dropped him a line and hopefully he can chime in soon

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
I have a 12" single release and I used to have a folded theatrical -- they were the same except for the fold pattern.  As you would expect, the theatrical was folded down to 10x15 (one horizontal fold line).  The poster in the record album was folded down to 10x10 (two horizontal fold lines).  Both were matte finish IIRC. 

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:05 AM »
Thanks Harry
I just cant see a high quality full size repro existing for this. as i said before its finish is similar to something like a back to the future II,III quad or Total recall if anyone has one of those? its not gloss but its not Matt either

confused, but certainly not sure its dodgy

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
I have a rolled quad. I'll check it out later - if I can access it.

Mark

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 04:04:12 PM »
Just checked. My rolled and folded quads are identical in every way other than for the fold-lines. Definitely a matt finish. The rolled copy came directly from a cinema.

Mark

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
okay thanks . so mine appears different, i would never have questioned it until someone else did. I am very confused as mine was bought in a job lot years ago with other posters of the same vintage which all appeared genuine

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »
I can't access mine easily at the moment but I'm as certain as I can be that it's an original as it came from a very reliable dealer from whom I've bought many quads in the past. Hopefully the pics on my site make it clear that it's a standard early 1980s matt finish (not more 'silky' like, say, the Top Gun quad from a year later). I knew about the 12" version but never a full-sized repro of this poster so am not sure what your buyer is fretting about. Can you ask him where he got the info about reprints come from as it would be good to know!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:05:50 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
Mark, when you have a moment could you check how close the copyright info at the bottom left is to the edge of the poster? As you can see on mine (pic 7) it's right to the edge which is a little unusual and does make me wonder...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:11:27 PM by Ed_209uk »

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 02:32:57 AM »
mine copyright infor is right to the edge too.
my buyer is concerned since he has a folded quad which is matt finish, he does say however there is no detoration in print quality and the sizing is spot on, so he is having doubts about his doubts!
he hasnt actually got any information about a reprint beyond his own conjecture.
personally i think its legit, but i will take it back if there is any shred of doubt

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:33:57 AM by originalcinemaposters »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 02:38:29 AM »
Mark, when you have a moment could you check how close the copyright info at the bottom left is to the edge of the poster? As you can see on mine (pic 7) it's right to the edge which is a little unusual and does make me wonder...

I have a 3mm gap between the copyright line and the edge on both my posters. The mystery deepens.

Mark

guest4288

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »
Hi all
I'm the buyer of the rolled copy that has sparked this discussion. I checked in to find some more info and stumbled along this thread about me and my concerns about the poster. My main doubts came from the paperstock it's printed on as my folded copy is matt. The print quality is great but now mark has confirmed that his rolled copy is Matt it does throw the authenticity of this into question. I've just checked my folded copy and I also have a 3mm gap under the NSS info but no gap on the rolled one.

guest4288

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 06:04:26 PM »
Also just for the record Paul who sold me this poster has been nothing but 100% professional in dealing with my concerns about this poster and the fact he's took the time to start this thread is testament to that.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 10:59:01 PM »
Also just for the record Paul who sold me this poster has been nothing but 100% professional in dealing with my concerns about this poster and the fact he's took the time to start this thread is testament to that.

clap
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
Check the back of the poster to see if the paper is the same texture..

This was a popular film at the time, and there was all kinds of posters about from the film, including repro posters, but the ones I remember  were all smaller than Quad size... As far as I know the Matt finish is the Cinema release, and was the same as the record give-a-way, which as Matt said is folded differently anyway.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
I still need to dig out my rolled copy (not easy at the moment) but I'd received emails from elvis1608 prior to him posting on here and we have, I believe, identical versions of the quad. I feel I need to clarify what I meant by matt earlier. It's not printed on the kind of matt paper that when folded loses no ink (soft paper, effectively) but is the kind that would mean white lines (and ink loss) were it to be folded. However it's not silky smooth (shiny) like some other posters from the period (Top Gun is one I'm thinking of). My Lost Boys quad has a definite slight sheen to it and does reflect things to an extent but it's definitely not glossy. Hope that makes sense!

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 04:55:49 AM »
So it looks like there are two 30 x 40 printings - one with a matt finish and a 3mm gap between credits and edge and the second with a "silk" finish and a negligible gap. Like Paul, I have only ever seen under-sized repros for this title and there are a lot of those around.

Mark

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 05:48:16 AM »
this my thinking too. I just cant see this being a repro, the quality outstanding and i purchased this in a small job lot with other posters of the same vintage.

Jason is hanging on to this quad so a friend who used to print quads can take a look, so hopefully we will get a third opinion soon

guest4288

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 06:50:31 AM »
Hi all,
Like Paul said I have a friend who used to over see printing for quads back in the 80s who kicks himself about the amount of now rare quads they printed and wait for it threw away!!! I'm taking both my folded and rolled copy over to him on Saturday and he will under strong magnification be able to see how it was printed and if it was off the original film they used as the master. I told him the rolled was better quality which he said really wouldn't be right if it was a reprint. Another interesting thing I spotted and told him and would be great if Eddie and Mark could check on there copies. On the credit at the bottom for Richard Donner there is what looks like a hair on the second R of Richard which is on my folded and the rolled copy. If it is a hair much like the one on the famous star wars bootleg poster it could mean that both the matt finish and the silk finish were printed from the same master? If you guys could check that would be cool!

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »
is this the case of the Hairy R's?

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »
.......On the credit at the bottom for Richard Donner there is what looks like a hair on the second R of Richard which is on my folded and the rolled copy. If it is a hair much like the one on the famous star wars bootleg poster it could mean that both the matt finish and the silk finish were printed from the same master? If you guys could check that would be cool!

Yes, I have the "hairy R" on both my rolled and folded posters!

Mark

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
I was also telling elvis1608 that I have seen first-hand in the collection of both Brian Bysouth and Vic Fair (UK poster artists) that matt and shiny posters were printed for the same films at the time of release. I saw around 4 or 5 titles like this side by side in their collections. Brian didn't know exactly why they used to do it but one theory was that the shiny posters were for the better, more prestigious cinema chains as the print quality is always better on the shiny posters (better colour reproduction, more detail).

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
Mark,
Have you thought of waxing  your Hairy R's?deadhorse

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »
I really enjoy seeing this kind of investigation unfold.
A group of stalwart collectors comparing notes on a rare poster's authenticity.
Don't get no better than that, eh?

cheers to all of ye!