Author Topic: Professor Powers's fake website  (Read 89116 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Professor Powers's fake website
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
How freaking stupid do you have to be to reference Professor Power's fake website as an authority?

But rokmodataol/Rick's Hollywood Store is doing it in this sale:

Star Wars Advance 1977 (Blue Style) .

There are 2 versions of this that were authorized and printed by National Screen Service .The GAU is the union logo that appears on most original theatrical posters found on the lower white border in the center . One version of this Star Wars Advance has the logo on it , the second does not . At the Cleveland location that I worked at there had been an altercation with the Union steward and some of the printers . There had been a short strike for a week causing some problems with the use of the logo on posters . Thus , it was omitted from the printing of this particular poster out of the Cleveland NSS location . Both of these versions of this poster are to be considered original ! THANKS TO Prof. Leonard Powers FOR THIS INFORMATION.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Professor Powers's fake website
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
I would strongly, STRONGLY advise NOT to buy from Rick's Hollywood.  I learned my lesson years ago.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
The guy's just a flat-out liar - you rarely see such brazen whoppers, even on Ebay.  Check out his sale of bootleg Star Wars Style Cs:

THIS WAS THE POSTER PRODUCED FOR THE BRITISH RELEASE. I HAVE TAKEN THEM FROM SEVERAL THEATERS AROUND THE WORLD. AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, FIJI, GUAM ETC. I RECEIVED SEVERAL FROM LUCAS FILM EMPLOYEES

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
This wouldn't be the first reference to Professor Powers, you know.  Jeff Rosen on NS4 has in his signature "Respekt the Professor!" Peanut. 

This refers to Andy Neal's reference a long time ago to Professor Powers as supporting authority on some matter.  I wasn't around at the time, but the legend continues on.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
Who is Andy Neal?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
my personal favorite is the part where he says that he sent a bunch of minty whites for carbon dating, and it proved in each case that they were made in the year of release of the film.  anyone who knows even a little about carbon dating knows that you certainly cant nail down a specific year for any sample.  all carbon dating would tell you is that it could have been made yesterday or the 40's.  no lab would even try to carbon date anything 20 years old because its a complete waste of time.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
my personal favorite is the part where he says that he sent a bunch of minty whites for carbon dating, and it proved in each case that they were made in the year of release of the film.  anyone who knows even a little about carbon dating knows that you certainly cant nail down a specific year for any sample.  all carbon dating would tell you is that it could have been made yesterday or the 40's.  no lab would even try to carbon date anything 20 years old because its a complete waste of time.

Of course carbon dating is a bunch of malarkey, 'cuz that's what I learned from the Creationism Museum.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
 :-\

I didnt think it was possible but now Im even more confused  :P

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
The guy's just a flat-out liar - you rarely see such brazen whoppers, even on Ebay.  Check out his sale of bootleg Star Wars Style Cs:

THIS WAS THE POSTER PRODUCED FOR THE BRITISH RELEASE. I HAVE TAKEN THEM FROM SEVERAL THEATERS AROUND THE WORLD. AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, FIJI, GUAM ETC. I RECEIVED SEVERAL FROM LUCAS FILM EMPLOYEES

I just bought this same poster from him a few weeks ago for 100.00. How do you know it's a bootleg?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
I just bought this same poster from him a few weeks ago for 100.00. How do you know it's a bootleg?

Bad news bro. You just got hosed.  I'd raise hell about it and demand your money back.

Check out Cinemasterpiece's info on this poster - scroll down to the Style C section.

Here's the pics for the hairs that are on this poster.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
Bad news bro. You just got hosed.  I'd raise hell about it and demand your money back.

Check out Cinemasterpiece's info on this poster - scroll down to the Style C section.

Here's the pics for the hairs that are on this poster.

Apparently I got a good deal even if it's a bootleg. But according to the wording below, it doesn't appear to be a confirmed bootleg.

US One Sheet  RESTRIKE  Movie Poster Style C 27x41 ROLLED NM C9  $125.00 OUT OF STOCK Special Order

"All reputable dealers and advanced collectors believe that this poster WITH THE HAIR ON LEIA'S BACK is a bootleg/fake/restrike. Its origin is not known for sure, but it is believed that sometime during the early 1980's some unscrupulous printers got their hands on the original printing plates and ran off thousands of these (as well as the Star Wars Style A and B). It is a very convincing bootleg and is almost indistinguishable from the original. The paper is also thicker and overall the graphics are a little blurrier. They usually appear rolled, but some people have folded them to make them appear more authentic. Criminals on ebay are now describing them as "lightly folded".......this means they have a ton of rolled ones they can't sell so now they are folding them themselves!! We offer it for collectors so they can compare it to known originals. Close up picture of the hair on Leia's back."

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »
Cinemasterpiece's prices aren't exactly the source to use when deciding whether what you paid was a "good deal" (no offense meant Dave).  His descriptions are also notoriously ambiguous.  As far as I know, the general consensus is that that is a bootleg.  If you think you got a good deal, than that is great. 

Personally, any time I pay for something that is misrepresented, I tend to feel cheated.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 09:34:48 PM »
I was being semi-sarcastic. Anytime I see a poster listed for over $100,000 on Ebay, I immediately know it's from CineMast (more sarcasm). But, on a side note, it looks like the real version of this poster was only limited to 500 copies so there is no chance for me to own it, and even the bootlegs are going for a minimum of $100 on Ebay. Was I cheated? Probably. Do I care a WHOLE lot? Not considering the details stated above.

:o

Cinemasterpiece's prices aren't exactly the source to use when deciding whether what you paid was a "good deal" (no offense meant Dave).  His descriptions are also notoriously ambiguous.  As far as I know, the general consensus is that that is a bootleg.  If you think you got a good deal, than that is great.  

Personally, any time I pay for something that is misrepresented, I tend to feel cheated.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:46:39 PM by Chop-Top »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
There's no ambiguity here at all - he's selling the bootleg.  There are dozens of differences - there are "hairs" in several places, the laser fire "cloud" is much less prominent on the bootleg, the coloring of the faces is much different, etc.

I got my bootleg Star Wars A for $10 and my bootleg Star Wars C for $30.  The bootlegs do have some value but nowhere near $100.  You can get a real Star Wars C for $350 on a good day.  Demand your money back and save it for the real thing.

It's true Dave is selling the bootleg for $99 but at least he's fully disclosing that it's a bootleg.  Rick is lying his ass off - saying he got it from European theaters.  We shouldn't be giving a dime to miscreants like him.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »
Mel, I love that website  laugh1

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »

Did he really say that?  I mean, really?

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:16 AM »
Cinemasterpiece's prices aren't exactly the source to use when deciding whether what you paid was a "good deal" (no offense meant Dave).  His descriptions are also notoriously ambiguous.  As far as I know, the general consensus is that that is a bootleg.  If you think you got a good deal, than that is great. 

And how!
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 02:37:35 AM »
Apparently I got a good deal even if it's a bootleg. But according to the wording below, it doesn't appear to be a confirmed bootleg.

US One Sheet  RESTRIKE  Movie Poster Style C 27x41 ROLLED NM C9  $125.00 OUT OF STOCK Special Order

"All reputable dealers and advanced collectors believe that this poster WITH THE HAIR ON LEIA'S BACK is a bootleg/fake/restrike. Its origin is not known for sure, but it is believed that sometime during the early 1980's some unscrupulous printers got their hands on the original printing plates and ran off thousands of these (as well as the Star Wars Style A and B). It is a very convincing bootleg and is almost indistinguishable from the original. The paper is also thicker and overall the graphics are a little blurrier. They usually appear rolled, but some people have folded them to make them appear more authentic. Criminals on ebay are now describing them as "lightly folded".......this means they have a ton of rolled ones they can't sell so now they are folding them themselves!! We offer it for collectors so they can compare it to known originals. Close up picture of the hair on Leia's back."

I wouldn't pay attention to a single word Dave has to say on the subject of authenticity... not because neally all of 'his information' is second hand from MPT, Dan R. and others, although it is, and not because what isn't borrowed is mostly rumour designed as enhanced selling tactics, although it is. 

I would ignore Dave, because his base assessment is 'real until proven fake', when truly reputable dealer work the other way around.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »

I wouldn't pay attention to a single word Dave has to say on the subject of authenticity... not because neally all of 'his information' is second hand from MPT, Dan R. and others, although it is, and not because what isn't borrowed is mostly rumour designed as enhanced selling tactics, although it is.  

I would ignore Dave, because his base assessment is 'real until proven fake', when truly reputable dealer work the other way around.

Yet another useless pugnacious post from the belittling curmudgeon Archie.  At least Dave's got a sense of humor:

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
We offer it for collectors so they can compare it to known originals.

Surely this indicates that these posters are not original theatre release. I cant see how any one could confuse them with the real thing??   :-\

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 10:51:49 PM »
Yet another useless pugnacious post from the belittling curmudgeon Archie.  At least Dave's got a sense of humor:

Boy, them thar's a knee-slapper... It's a privilege to take comedy notes from a man of your stature.

Your ADD addled enthusiasm might be mildly refreshing if it weren't for the fact that the information you toss out is so routinely off base.  Learn some history and gain some knowledge or shut the heck up, please.  Until then, your opinion is of no consequence.  I've only bothered pointing out your most egregious faults because other noobs read your posts/website and might get the impression that you are speaking from some point of authority.  In all honesty, I am not trying to pick on you - I applaud anyone who wall-papers their pad with movie posters, although I still think the ceiling has potential.  Mostly, I am just trying to provide some much needed perspective, whether you want to hear it or not.

Stew, I am not saying that Dave's information in this case is wrong, much of what is has listed is correct (the hairy back Star Wars C is a well known bootleg), but new collectors should not use his information as gospel - particularly his quoting of print run numbers.  Dave has an ethically slippery approach (anyone who knows his history would understand that comment) and I say this as someone who actually likes the guy (but not his used car salesman business practices) and knows that he has a much better sense of humor than is on display with DeadPigeonMel's listing.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
Boy, them thar's a knee-slapper... It's a privilege to take comedy notes from a man of your stature.

More absurd insults coming from a total jerk who uses a "cum shot" for his avatar on NSF.  Super-classy to the core.  Your relentless negativity got you booted from MPF.  Congrats on finding a new forum to unleash your vitriol.

Dave's a good guy in the hobby and his website has well-written and accurate information.  That's a fact, Jack.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:28:32 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 11:32:33 AM »
thanks Mel!

you gotta love the haters!!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »
I hear you Archie, i have had no dealings with dave, so as a noob, im not in a position to comment on how he chooses to run his buisness.
 It is very apparent that Professor Powers website is the most unethical of the two.
He quite obviously try`s to use deception as a ruse to make buyers etc trust his opinion,which are just that ...
His descriptions of posters,are overall accurate with 30% bullsh*t thrown in the mix,and buyer beware if i was to fall for it.
 This is my opinion,Mel,IMO ,is quite rightly pointing out to anyone,,not just noobs, that there are unscrupulous sellers out there and this forum is the perfect place for such information to be shared for everyone.
 I would hope maybe both of you would find some middle ground or agree to disagree,because as a new member it really drags a thread to the lowest when it degenerates into name calling.

Feel free to tell me where to get off...both of you.
Best Wishes
Stew

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »