Author Topic: Help Needed Please! Japanese B1 Lupin iii : Castle of Cagliostro poster 1979  (Read 5614 times)

Offline yllum

• Beginner
Greeting to all fellow collectors, i am new here. Looking forward to learning from all seasoned collectors out there  :)

I recently just bought my first Japanese original poster, b1 size of lupin castle of cagliostro 1979.

May I know if there is fake b1 for that title? It is not as popular compared to the other miyazaki title.so I assume there is no fake.

It measure around 28.5" x 40.5" and it has a eirin mark. The Eirin mark is clear, however the dates on the eirin mark are blur. .it that normal? Or this poster maybe a fake? I have attached picture of the eirin mark for your reference.

i found another original copy of this poster online from a very reputable seller, that seller send me a photo of the eirin mark for the one he is selling and it has the same blurred numbers.

Thank you for taking time out to read my msg, I appreciate any help given.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:15:15 PM by erik1925 »

Offline yllum

• Beginner
Japanese B1 - lupin castle of cagliostro 1979
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »
Greeting to all fellow collectors, i am new here. Looking forward to learning from all seasoned collectors out there  :)

I recently just bought my first Japanese original poster, b1 size of lupin castle of cagliostro 1979.

May I know if there is fake b1 for that title? It is not as popular compared to the other miyazaki title.so I assume there is no fake.

It measure around 28.5" x 40.5" and it has a eirin mark. The Eirin mark is clear, however the dates on the eirin mark are blur. .it that normal? Or this poster maybe a fake? I have attached picture of the eirin mark for your reference.

i found another original copy of this poster online from a very reputable seller, that seller send me a photo of the eirin mark for the one he is selling and it has the same blurred numbers. i am kinda confused right now

Thank you for taking time out to read my msg, I appreciate any help given.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:43:42 AM by yllum »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Japanese B1 - lupin castle of cagliostro 1979
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
First,  welcome1, yllum, to the forum. And enjoy.

Im sure some of the Japanese B1 poster collectors and experts will be happy to help with this.

Will you be posting a photo of the entire poster also? Would love to see the imagery.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
I think I got this poster from the same source as you did. However, when I received it, I was convinced that this poster is a reprint, mainly because of the Erin mark is so blurry as you found. In addition, I think these posters appeared in batch recently in the market, and the paper appeared not aging at all given more than 35 years. I have seen the B2 version of this poster of the same design, where the Erin mark is clear and sharp. I will let you know when I gather more information, but I am still convinced for now that it is a reprint.
Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
 welcome1, too, yllum.

And enjoy the poster pow wow, too.  :D

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
I have one of these too... same deal -- correct size for a B1, sloppy-yet-sharp print in the credits, but the artwork is strangely blurry, and frankly it's available way too readily for too little cost to be genuine.  I thought I might be getting a deal when I bought mine a year or so back, but I wrote it off 5 seconds after seeing it in person... 

That all said, I know a few experts I can inquire with.  I'll see what they come back with...

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Yep, I have the same one too. It's far too poor quality to be genuine... hell, it's too poor quality to even be a decent bootleg. crying

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Looks like several of us have been stung.
Who is the seller?
I think we should be warning others, eh?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Got mine out of Japan about a year ago... just checked and the seller is no longer active.   Warning bells are a ringin'!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Since it seems everyone has been invited to this party, I wanna see what the full poster looks like!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
This?**

**from Posteritati's site. They have a B1 size and it is listed for $150.00

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:59:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
That's the one.  This is the reply I got back from my collector friend:

B1 size poster are almost [all] reprint not original on this title.

You might be find original copy, but not many chances.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
The Erin mark looks to be more bold/defined on the Posteritati copy. Could it be an original, maybe?

Here's their link (not promoting a sale).. it's just for those that want to quickly click & look: 

http://www.posteritati.com/product_details.php?multi=yes&skuvalue=120301
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:34:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline yllum

• Beginner
Hello Everyone, thanks for all your suggestion and advices

the following is the photo taken of my poster

Sorry I am not really good with photo taking :)

As you can see from the photo, the rest of the poster has sharp and well defined image. The size is right too. However the Eirin Mark is blurred

Does anyone here has the Original B1 of this movie? i would love to take a look and compare the differences?

This is my first foray into Japanese cinema poster, i must say it was quite an disappointment :( i try talking to the japanese seller on ebay but he is adamant that the poster is an original.

Fellow Collectors, what should i do with regards to this case? i don't think i could get any refund from the seller. In fact, i can't even confirm whether the poster is a fake or not.

To be honest, if this is a fake poster, i am rather surprised by why would there be one, especially at B1 size.  This movie is not even popular as compared to the rest of Miyazaki's work. This is an underrated Miyazaki film, in fact alot of general audience doesn't even know that this is a miyazaki's movie. I can understand if there are fake for spirited away, laputa or Princess mononoke :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:15:56 AM by yllum »

Offline yllum

• Beginner
That's the one.  This is the reply I got back from my collector friend:

Does your friend has an original for comparison? Did he mention how do we tell an original from an fake?
Thank you!

Offline yllum

• Beginner
The Erin mark looks to be more bold/defined on the Posteritati copy. Could it be an original, maybe?

Here's their link (not promoting a sale).. it's just for those that want to quickly click & look: 

http://www.posteritati.com/product_details.php?multi=yes&skuvalue=120301

Thanks for the link.

After suspecting there might be something wrong with my poster, i actually went online to hunt for other copy a few days back

Lupin iii: castle of cagliostro is one of my favourite and i really wanted an original Japanese poster for it.

My search actually lead to Posteritati, with every intention of buying from them. i Know they are a very reputable dealer.

However, just to be on the safe side, i requested for an clear image of the Eirin Mark of the poster they are selling.

Guess what, the poster that they are selling as a Original B1 has the same exact blurred Eirin Mark as what i had.

So now i am really confused.

Offline yllum

• Beginner
I think I got this poster from the same source as you did. However, when I received it, I was convinced that this poster is a reprint, mainly because of the Erin mark is so blurry as you found. In addition, I think these posters appeared in batch recently in the market, and the paper appeared not aging at all given more than 35 years. I have seen the B2 version of this poster of the same design, where the Erin mark is clear and sharp. I will let you know when I gather more information, but I am still convinced for now that it is a reprint.

Thank you, kindly let me know if you have more information

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
My friend has never owned one... and he has owned almost everything at one point or another.  To me that says a lot.  I imagine originals are extremely scarce -- for all the reasons you mentioned.  As I said above, these rolled mint copies that have turned up lately are just too plentiful and too cheap.

I don't really have any advice for you, other than to welcome you to the collecting world!  You're not a true collector until you've been burned at least once  ;)  Little comfort I'm sure -- and maybe too soon to joke!  Sorry again.  If you can't return it I would just keep for reference someday -- that is what I've done with mine.  And as you say, we won't know for sure until a different copy turns up.  I'll keep working on my sources in the mean time...

Offline yllum

• Beginner
My friend has never owned one... and he has owned almost everything at one point or another.  To me that says a lot.  I imagine originals are extremely scarce -- for all the reasons you mentioned.  As I said above, these rolled mint copies that have turned up lately are just too plentiful and too cheap.

I don't really have any advice for you, other than to welcome you to the collecting world!  You're not a true collector until you've been burned at least once  ;)  Little comfort I'm sure -- and maybe too soon to joke!  Sorry again.  If you can't return it I would just keep for reference someday -- that is what I've done with mine.  And as you say, we won't know for sure until a different copy turns up.  I'll keep working on my sources in the mean time...

lol yeah. .I may be on my way to being a true collector  :'(  even though there is no confirmation that it is a fake. I remain skeptical

the saddest part is I didn't really get it too cheap. .I am $88 poorer. Haha

thanks for your time in looking out for answers.  I appreciate it :)

I must say there are lot of friendly folks here in this forum, I feel very welcomed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
And with these being the exact right size and all, clear sharp printing (aside from the Erin mark).. would these be considered bootlegs? Or just later (legitimate) released reprints?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

lol yeah. .I may be on my way to being a true collector  :'(  even though there is no confirmation that it is a fake. I remain skeptical

the saddest part is I didn't really get it too cheap. .I am $88 poorer. Haha

I am a huge fan of that film & poster too. I hope you can consider that $88 as an investment towards your poster education. We all had one or two flops.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Thanks for the link.

After suspecting there might be something wrong with my poster, i actually went online to hunt for other copy a few days back

Lupin iii: castle of cagliostro is one of my favourite and i really wanted an original Japanese poster for it.

My search actually lead to Posteritati, with every intention of buying from them. i Know they are a very reputable dealer.

However, just to be on the safe side, i requested for an clear image of the Eirin Mark of the poster they are selling.

Guess what, the poster that they are selling as a Original B1 has the same exact blurred Eirin Mark as what i had.

So now i am really confused.

I emailed Sam at Posteritati and he said he had also checked with his Japanese experts who agreed that their copy is a later reprint. He also said he will be removing it from both the bay and their site (or maybe re-listing it with an updated or revised description).

He also commented that he thinks these copies are reprints and not bootlegs, that were meant to be sold, but will try and verify this, too, if he can.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:12:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline yllum

• Beginner
I emailed Sam at Posteritati and he said he had also checked with his Japanese experts who agreed that their copy is a later reprint. He also said he will be removing it from both the bay and their site (or maybe re-listing it with an updated or revised description).

He also commented that he thinks these copies are reprints and not bootlegs, that were meant to be sold, but will try and verify this, too, if he can.  ;)

Oh Sam replied me too. With regards to the poster,  Sam mentioned thar 2 of his Japanese expert believe there is a good chance that it is a reproduction. He has remove his from sale

Offline yllum

• Beginner
And with these being the exact right size and all, clear sharp printing (aside from the Erin mark).. would these be considered bootlegs? Or just later (legitimate) released reprints?  dontknow.gif

I would love to know the answer too. How does an original look like?

Any expert on this forum who has this particular B1 in your collection?  Could you kindly share a photo please.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
I got one or two of the reprints in a lot once.  Was pretty obvious for all the reasons above that it could not be an original release.  I have never seen in person one that looked different, nor have I seen one for sale that I suspected was the real deal.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery