Author Topic: Movie poster frames  (Read 9998 times)

Dcollins85

Movie poster frames
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
Any one know where I can get frames for my theatrical movie posters that don't require me to fold the edges of my posters in? All the frames I can get off the shelf from Micheals or Hobby Loby that say they are 28x41 are the measurement of the frame included, not the space it gives for your poster inside the frame... I looked at building my own frame but shipping / customs fees make it nearly as expensive as getting a custom frame job.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Movie poster frames
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
Depending on where you are, you might want to check out Hollywood Poster Frames ( https://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/ ).

Sue is wonderful and very helpful and knows her stuff, too.

thumbsup.gif

Lots of potential info here, too, maybe:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,59.0.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:13:14 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 04:21:12 PM »
I second the recommendation for Hollywood poster frame.  Sue has been at this a long time, really knows her business and is an all around good person.

You might also consider Spotlight Displays http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/movie-poster-frames.html
Robert has been here awhile too and I have a dozen of his frames.  He specializes in front loading frames where it is easy to change out the posters without tools.

Look into UV protected plexiglass.  Avoid glass for many reasons.  Non-glare is a personal preference.  Even if it is UV protected, keep your poster out of direct sunlight.  They still fade over time.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 05:23:57 PM »
I second the recommendation for Hollywood poster frame.  Sue has been at this a long time, really knows her business and is an all around good person.

You might also consider Spotlight Displays http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/movie-poster-frames.html
Robert has been here awhile too and I have a dozen of his frames.  He specializes in front loading frames where it is easy to change out the posters without tools.

Look into UV protected plexiglass.  Avoid glass for many reasons.  Non-glare is a personal preference.  Even if it is UV protected, keep your poster out of direct sunlight.  They still fade over time.

Yes -- glass retains heat and moisture more readily/thoroughly than plexi, which allows a poster to breathe (let alone the potential for damage, should a frame fall off the wall, with a glass shard cutting into the paper   crying )   And UV protection... yes to that, as well.  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:07:02 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
Any one know where I can get frames for my theatrical movie posters that don't require me to fold the edges of my posters in? All the frames I can get off the shelf from Micheals or Hobby Loby that say they are 28x41 are the measurement of the frame included, not the space it gives for your poster inside the frame... I looked at building my own frame but shipping / customs fees make it nearly as expensive as getting a custom frame job.
I have 4 SD frames and they are cut to fit your exact dimensions - so if you say 28x41 they will fit perfectly without you needing to fold or unfold anything (other than your wallet)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
I have 4 SD frames and they are cut to fit your exact dimensions - so if you say 28x41 they will fit perfectly without you needing to fold or unfold anything (other than your wallet)

Also, if you plan on swapping out posters regularly, get the frame at least 1/4"-1/2" oversize.  Movie paper varies in size and if you put a 27 1/4" poster in a 27" frame, you will get wrinkling.

Both Sue and Robert understand this and provide a bit of room in their standard size frames.
-Jay-

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
I personally have frames for 2 different reasons. So it will depend on how and what you are displaying.
For example I have my King Kong on permanent display. While I use the front loading frames to display modern stuff that I change regularly.

I would recommend either www.spotlightdisplays.com
or www.hollywoodposterframes.com

The customer service for both sites is above and beyond. They are completly customized to your order.

/2cents
This Space For Rent!

Offline Reel Movie Posters

• Hobbyist
    • Reel Movie Posters
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
I've purchased a few frames from Sue at https://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

Top quality frames and Sue is really nice to deal with.

As stated already, I'd stay away from glass. Go for plexiglass. UV protected if it's going to be displayed around direct sunlight.

Acid free backing is also worth considering.

Richie
Richard Pagliaro
Reel Movie Posters
https://reelmovieposters.com.au

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
I've purchased a few frames from Sue at https://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

Top quality frames and Sue is really nice to deal with.

As stated already, I'd stay away from glass. Go for plexiglass. UV protected if it's going to be displayed around direct sunlight.

Acid free backing is also worth considering.

Richie

All the way.....   thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:13 PM »
I have more poster frames from sue than I have brains or even wall space. I have frames in the closet.

Sue is the way to go.

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »
I'd like to cast my vote for Sue at Hollywood Poster Frames as well.  Great archival frames, great prices, even better customer service.  

The non-glare is worth it IMO.  I get people asking me if there is anything covering the poster because it is so transparent and near glare free.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:18:41 PM by archstanton »

guest4720

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:02:33 AM »
Yes -- glass retains heat and moisture more readily/thoroughly than plexi, which allows a poster to breathe (let alone the potential for damage, should a frame fall off the wall, with a glass shard cutting into the paper   crying )   And UV protection... yes to that, as well.  thumbsup.gif

I would NEVER put a poster in direct contact with glass OR plexi.  I don't care whose selling what. Otherwise it leads to warping. Any curator worth their grain of salt will tell you this.

I prefer a good, custom wooden frame and have never used metal.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 02:21:16 AM »
I have frames in the closet.

I shudder to think what the posters are of!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:52 AM »
I would NEVER put a poster in direct contact with glass OR plexi.  I don't care whose selling what. Otherwise it leads to warping. Any curator worth their grain of salt will tell you this.

I prefer a good, custom wooden frame and have never used metal.

Of course not...and no one has ever said (or suggested) that plexi should be in direct contact with a poster.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Of course not...and no one has ever said (or suggested) that plexi should be in direct contact with a poster.  ;)

I disagree slightly with posters touching plexi.  As you said Jeff - plexi does not retain heat like glass and unless there is moisture inside the frame there should be no issues with your poster touching the plexi (so long as it is highly quality, conversation level plastic of course).  Your poster is not going to stick to the plexi like it could potentially with glass.  Plexi also does not shatter like glass would should some calamity occur. 

Really cannot see how touching plexi directly would cause warping of any kind?  Zac - do you care to share more info on the detriments of posters being in contact with plexi?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
I disagree slightly with posters touching plexi.  As you said Jeff - plexi does not retain heat like glass and unless there is moisture inside the frame there should be no issues with your poster touching the plexi (so long as it is highly quality, conversation level plastic of course).  Your poster is not going to stick to the plexi like it could potentially with glass.  Plexi also does not shatter like glass would should some calamity occur.  

Really cannot see how touching plexi directly would cause warping of any kind?  Zac - do you care to share more info on the detriments of posters being in contact with plexi?

I agree with all your points here, Chris. And, i was more speaking too, that if i had the choice of a poster pressed up against the plexi, or leaving a minor space between, I would opt for having the air space between plexi and paper.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:05:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff