Author Topic: Crushed posters, how to minimize the damage  (Read 11920 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Crushed posters, how to minimize the damage
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
If you are like me and buy a lot of posters each year or even if you buy one chances are you have come across an idiot who has packaged and shipped a poster in a triangle tube all but guaranteeing that it will be damaged or had something similar happen where the center of the poster got crushed. From experience it is a hard lesson to learn that although the damage from this crushing is irreversible without restoration it is made much worse knowing that just unrolling the poster with that crush area can actually and in many cases does make that damage worse. Receiving yet another poster damaged like this has made me think it would be good to share how I alleviate the risk of damage as much as possible in this case with everyone and hope it helps them if they ever need it.

1. I keep a small piece of PVC pipe handy for this and other work.
2. Take the pipe or something similar that is stiff and longer, (insert joke here), then the poster.
3. On clean surface free of oil, etc. roll the poster slowly using the pipe with light to moderate downward pressure.

This will help alleviate the stress crinkles enough to unroll the poster without he worry of additional color breaks or the dreaded tearing that can happen as seen below.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:31:23 PM by erik1925 »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Crushed posters, how to minimize the damage
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:59 AM »
Here's another way.  You return it for full reimbursement and you leave negative comments that this idiotic seller will not forget anytime soon.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »
But for those that do not want to return or want to see how extensive the damage is before making up their mind, here ya go.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
I ask for a partial refund, if I want to keep the poster, but still leave negative feedback..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
But for those that do not want to return or want to see how extensive the damage is before making up their mind, here ya go.

The "delicate" unrolling... I like the concept, Mike.    cool1

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:35:38 PM »
Buy folded posters  ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:11:05 AM »
Buy folded posters  ;)

Chris, they are kind of crush-proof in some ways, being so flat already.  ;D

But I've had a few close calls with poor packaging, with a folded poster, simply slipped into a plain, manila envelope (and with no other backing board or protection), that could easily have been a disaster (getting torn, bent etc).

Luckily, a few prayer.gif and they arrived safe 'n sound.  whew.gif
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:16:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 04:11:11 PM »
Here's another way.  You return it for full reimbursement and you leave negative comments that this idiotic seller will not forget anytime soon.

T

I agree.

not a whole lot you can do for them. these creases will forever be present.

If you insist on trying to fix, very simply, lay it flat. place a full size one sheet display bag (like from Bags Unlimited) flat. Lay the poster flat on top of it & then place another bag on top sandwiching the poster. Lay a pile of flat posters on top. wait a few years. You'll still have the creases, but it will be flattened out some..

Me... I'd be returning them

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »
I agree.

not a whole lot you can do for them. these creases will forever be present.

If you insist on trying to fix, very simply, lay it flat. place a full size one sheet display bag (like from Bags Unlimited) flat. Lay the poster flat on top of it & then place another bag on top sandwiching the poster. Lay a pile of flat posters on top. wait a few years. You'll still have the creases, but it will be flattened out some..

Me... I'd be returning them

Time can be of the essence.  waiting1

Sometimes.....  ;D

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 02:59:47 PM »
I was getting ready to comment, but I was only going to make teh same comment that I see I already made.....

never mind....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
All kidding aside.

I'd likely return crushed posters, too. Unless it was something that was really tough to find, then Id be doing as others said, and asking for a partial refund of some kind.

-Jeff