Author Topic: How to ship a poster  (Read 17765 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
How to ship a poster
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
For those of you that do not know yet I am working on putting together a site when I have time for poster identification and information, it is nowhere near ready to go live yet but I did feel the need to put one part up now as I feel it is really needed.

I used to, like many here, whenever buying a poster from a private seller online reference the poster shipping information page from a site that is no longer with us due to the owner being an... Well we all have our own opinions on the goings on and I do not want to rehash them here. I do though see the extreme need especially with a few packages I have received lately to make a new page that can be referenced on how to ship posters and have linked it below. If you need, feel free to link it whenever you need. If you read it and see anything missing or that needs to be changed please also let me know and I will look it over. In the meantime, here it is, a step by step guide to trying to save a poster from bad shipping-

http://posterfrom.com/resources/how-to-ship-a-poster/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:24:24 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: How to ship a poster
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
It's a valid effort certainly.  The hard part always seems to be getting the seller/shipper to buy into the request
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
BRILLIANT!!!

happy1 happy1 happy1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
It's a valid effort certainly.  The hard part always seems to be getting the seller/shipper to buy into the request

Even if it only saves one poster from a horrible fate the time is worth it. I think I am batting about 25% actually follow instructions and another 15% or so do a hybrid of their way and what I send them which when you think about the laziness of most sellers is not that bad.

By the way, the page will be alive as long as I am or at least I pay the bill to the hosting company.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
It's a valid effort certainly.  The hard part always seems to be getting the seller/shipper to buy into the request

This is indeed the biggest hurdle. I would think many sellers wont want to be "told" how to wrap and ship a poster; as you said tho, Mike, for the few that heed and take a few min. to read that page, will make all the potential difference in the world.

And to have it available for some kind of reference is all that matters. Nice job, Mike.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:33:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
Yes you need to have easy step by step pictures and limit the amount of text...our collective attention span is not what it used to be.

I'm curious Mike about the title "Poster From"? 

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:31 PM »
Yes you need to have easy step by step pictures and limit the amount of text...our collective attention span is not what it used to be.

I'm curious Mike about the title "Poster From"? 

It was available and the majority of searches are done full text rather than just title. For example a search is more often done as "poster from [Title Name]" rather than just "[Title Name] poster". As such when the site is done and properly set up for SEO purposes it will rank higher.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
It was available and the majority of searches are done full text rather than just title. For example a search is more often done as "poster from [Title Name]" rather than just "[Title Name] poster". As such when the site is done and properly set up for SEO purposes it will rank higher.

Oooohhhhh...I get it. Keep it up!  I will have more time to look at it in more detail later.

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »
Mike, this is very helpful. And it could make a real difference. I like the pics!! Thank you!!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »
Maybe have an overview section and this detailed section. The overview section might be a a 30 sec video of unpacking a tube seeing what's in it. We can see what the packer did in just seconds when we open it. Attention spans on some are very short, in fact humans attention span is now shorter than a gold fish
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:10:26 PM by 50s »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »
Maybe have an overview section and this detailed section. The overview section might be a a 30 sec video of unpacking a tube seeing what's in it. We can see what the packer did in just seconds when we open it. Attention spans on some are very short, in fact humans attention span is now shorter than a gold fish

Interesting stats and sadly sounds too generous for some younger generations, about right for mine. Will have to think about a way to make it so they can take it in in 8 seconds. Maybe if I showed it being done while bull riding it would work, that's only 8 seconds.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »
The short video idea has given me a new idea. I will do it but only after I find a set of Creature From the Black Lagoon hands to use in shooting!

For those that don't know me well enough, I will do it that way!  >:D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:01:17 AM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 12:13:40 AM »
What would really help is if you offered to package everyone's purchases for them (you can even use the Creature hands so long as they remain dextrous enough to avoid crinkling my daybills)   thumbsup.gif
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
Sounds like a plan. I can quit my day job and open Mike's shipping service. Just mail me your posters and I will properly package them for you, if I really like them it may be a photocopy though.

I don't think anything can avoid crinkling daybills. Some of them buggers are thinner than Spanish or Indian posters.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
The short video idea has given me a new idea. I will do it but only after I find a set of Creature From the Black Lagoon hands to use in shooting!

For those that don't know me well enough, I will do it that way!  >:D

Me likes that idea, too, Mike.  devil 2

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »

For those that don't know me well enough, I will do it that way!  >:D

Did you find those hands, yet, Mike??  waiting1

;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:38:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »
For those of you that do not know yet I am working on putting together a site when I have time for poster identification and information, it is nowhere near ready to go live yet but I did feel the need to put one part up now as I feel it is really needed.

I used to, like many here, whenever buying a poster from a private seller online reference the poster shipping information page from a site that is no longer with us due to the owner being an... Well we all have our own opinions on the goings on and I do not want to rehash them here. I do though see the extreme need especially with a few packages I have received lately to make a new page that can be referenced on how to ship posters and have linked it below. If you need, feel free to link it whenever you need. If you read it and see anything missing or that needs to be changed please also let me know and I will look it over. In the meantime, here it is, a step by step guide to trying to save a poster from bad shipping-

http://posterfrom.com/resources/how-to-ship-a-poster/

bump.gif

Great "How To" shipping info from Mike/Undead. And as he mentions above, sending his link to sellers certainly can't hurt, in order to get something packaged properly, if that seller takes the time to quickly review it.

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »
Amazingly it has been followed about 75% of the time I request the seller follow it.

One day I do need to modify it with some of the great recommendations people here have made.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 04:20:22 AM »
I always request it.  So far not been disappointed.

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
Just followed the link to the website and read the shipping tutorial. I do have a few questions though. 1) is the bubble wrap in the center necessary if the shipper uses heavy duty tubes, like Yazoo Mills? If one is shipping multiple posters the bubble wrap will take up valuable room as well. 2) "Unroll the poster until the end is just past the end of the kraft paper if the kraft paper you cut is shorter than the poster is long". Why would you cut the Kraft paper shorter than the length of the poster? Shouldn't the Kraft paper be a couple inches longer than the poster and the end of the KP folded to form a little pocket the poster is then placed in before you start to roll the poster in the KP? Maybe Im missing something. Let me know if Im mistaken.

Thanks for putting the time into the tutorial!

Chris
Chris S.

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
Fantastic Guide! I will definitely send a link to sellers.
- Eric