Author Topic: Killer Frankenstein 1938 3 sheet!  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
Killer Frankenstein 1938 3 sheet!
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
I just came across this amazing piece on Rob Rogovin's site:
http://www.fourcolorcomics.com/store/index.php?action=describe&id=2086947

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Killer Frankenstein 1938 3 sheet!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
LOVE IT!!  bed1

Nice!!!

It would be nice tho, if he posted some idea of what he wanted for it, rather than just having it as "Make An Offer."

(tho, two other 3sh are listed the same way: http://www.fourcolorcomics.com/store/index.php?action=describe&id=2087324  and http://www.fourcolorcomics.com/store/index.php?action=describe&id=2070397;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:29:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »
I'll bet it is amazing in person.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:26:49 PM »
I think I will have to watch Franky again tonight.
It never gets old.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »
Sure looks like that image was absconded from HA - http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/frankenstein-universal-r-1938-three-sheet-41-x-81-/a/7035-83316.s

And I bet he wants something north of the $30,000 it last sold for...
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:41:13 AM »
This one legged man irritates me

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
I remember seeing this when it got sold (I believe it was to N. Cage) at Bonhams (or I think it was Butterfield & Butterfield at the time?).  It was something to see in person.

Jeez, I'm getting to be a real fossil...
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
I've talked to the owner a number of times on some of his posters and he wants all of retail and then some on them. I have never actually bought from him but can say he will entertain offers even when he posts a price which he usually at comic shows.

Whatever you do though as a word of warning if you know where something rare is that you are interested in DO NOT mention it. He has back doored more than one friend on deals for high end posters that were either agreed upon sales but not finalized yet, buys made on E-Bay where he has gone in after losing and raised offers to get the item or a deal was being finalized but not yet paid and a careless word let slip and he came in and did it again.

On the positive side he knows his trade very well and can find high end rare items that many cannot. You will of course pay for it but that is part of the game.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:11:56 PM »
I've talked to the owner a number of times on some of his posters and he wants all of retail and then some on them. I have never actually bought from him but can say he will entertain offers even when he posts a price which he usually at comic shows.

Whatever you do though as a word of warning if you know where something rare is that you are interested in DO NOT mention it. He has back doored more than one friend on deals for high end posters that were either agreed upon sales but not finalized yet, buys made on E-Bay where he has gone in after losing and raised offers to get the item or a deal was being finalized but not yet paid and a careless word let slip and he came in and did it again.

On the positive side he knows his trade very well and can find high end rare items that many cannot. You will of course pay for it but that is part of the game.

= Dealer+ price points...  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
I just came across this amazing piece on Rob Rogovin's site:
http://www.fourcolorcomics.com/store/index.php?action=describe&id=2086947

Id forgotten that Peter had posted this...

It's SUCH a cool RR 3sheet.  notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 04:45:20 AM »
I notice it is showing as sold but I suppose we will never know how much it went for.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
And here it is, on display at the Regina Theater in L.A., as part of a double bill with Dracula: clap clap

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:12:02 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »
That is a killer poster! amazing!  thumbsup.gif
I've never seen anything like that.....
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 12:13:31 AM »
And I just noticed that there are TWO sets of the Frank/Drac 3 sheets in this photo!

If only to be able to hop into a time machine.  girly2.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 01:58:02 AM »
And here it is, on display at the Regina Theater in L.A., as part of a double bill with Dracula: clap clap

One has to wonder what happened to so many of the UNI horror posters, (regardless of size), to have made them so incredibly rare to non-existent, when other 1930s-40s material for many other films pop up from time to time, and some with some regularity.  dontknow.gif sherlockholmes.gif
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:59:11 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:20 AM »
I'm guessing that kids would want to hang them up in their rooms (I did that---but not with Uni horror, alas) and then they got ripped/stained/thrown out. Kids would rather have monsters than musicals or love story posters, right? That's what i think happened to them. Such a shame... And if you find that time machine, save me a seat.  thumbsup.gif

Cheers!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »
I'm guessing that kids would want to hang them up in their rooms (I did that---but not with Uni horror, alas) and then they got ripped/stained/thrown out. Kids would rather have monsters than musicals or love story posters, right? That's what i think happened to them. Such a shame... And if you find that time machine, save me a seat.  thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

Very doubtful that many kids ended up with these posters at all.
The better theory is that since Universal and not NSS distributed the paper on these titles themselves, and that they were so popular (being held over and playing in many theaters for weeks at a time) that the paper was shipped from theater to theater until there was nothing left. It is known that when Universal joined with NSS, they gave their remaining inventory of posters (not just horror titles) to NSS and these were oftentimes used in conjunction with Realart and other re-release material for promotion (and would help explain why material for less popular releases like Dracula's Daughter are in stronger supply than others).
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 05:11:03 PM »
Very doubtful that many kids ended up with these posters at all.
The better theory is that since Universal and not NSS distributed the paper on these titles themselves, and that they were so popular (being held over and playing in many theaters for weeks at a time) that the paper was shipped from theater to theater until there was nothing left. It is known that when Universal joined with NSS, they gave their remaining inventory of posters (not just horror titles) to NSS and these were oftentimes used in conjunction with Realart and other re-release material for promotion (and would help explain why material for less popular releases like Dracula's Daughter are in stronger supply than others).

And, if young people did by some miracle (e.g. friend or family owned the theatre) ended up with these posters, a possible fate could be solved by the math problem of:

1950s + Juvenile Delinquency Propaganda + Dear ole Mom = Backyard Bonfire

I've also seen some proofs of the solution to this math problem that included the variables of "being gone for military service" and "where did that box go when we moved".

Okie

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 07:44:08 PM »
Okie, that's similar as to why baseball cards from the 50's & 60's are worth much more than cards from the 70's onward. Aside from the cards being flipped against walls and general damage like getting clothes-pinned to the spokes of their bikes, etc. A lot of kids back then kept their cards but when dear ole mom got tired of seeing the kids room in a mess, into the trash they went.

Also remember that nobody cared about the posters back then, let alone keep them safe and secure. Of course some theatre managers with an eye for attractive art did keep them. The posters that remained at the exchanges were sent out, returned (usually), and resent again and again until they were falling apart. So many variables in how these posters have disappeared over the years.

And I would love to see that Dracula reissue 3-sheet in color.