Author Topic: May 2015  (Read 36350 times)

Mirosae

Re: May 2015
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
Quote from: pratschm link=topic=9564.msg178127#msg178127

Finally, picked this little piece up today. As the saying goes, shit just got real!  ;D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rQR6as
[/url]

Ten drawer architect flat file cabinet. Measures 40" high, 40" deep and 52-1/2" wide. Should be able to fit everything but the bus shelters and banners in there. thumbup

bed1 bed1 bed1

Now I am really really REALLY jealous..!!! Best thing I've seen. It looks brand new!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:22:53 AM by Mirosae »

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
I'm very jealous of that plan chest and the treasures that it will no doubt hold. I haven't posted anything in awhile so here are a few new recruits:

Been looking for this version of ST with the frame for ages. Finally found this although I'm not 100% sure it's authentic so I have mixed feelings about it.

This is a huge transit poster (in 2 pieces) from Denmark. Cost me a fortune, way more than the poster could ever be worth but, you know...

Really happy with this one though. It's a big Frenchie which I've been looking for one for ages, sans folds, so I was very happy when I spotted this. I don't really do folds.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
Here it is with sticker Paul. I guess it's to add the writing without ruining any walls. The flash of the camera is highlighting the sheen and there are a few major wrinkles with the application, but you get the idea.

Crikey, is that sticker that big, or just the bit at the top where he's writing?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
First rate plan chest Mike, I don't know how I managed without one all those years back..

Liking the Dark Shadows Spongebob, the NBC is quite the ticket too.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »
Sombra Verde, by Josep Renau (1950)

I want one of these, Deke.
Please keep me in mind if you find another.
 cheers

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2015, 01:31:03 AM »
I want one of these, Deke.
Please keep me in mind if you find another.
 cheers

Sure thing. I'll shoot you a message if I come across another one.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
Some really great stuff from everyone this month. Congrats to all!
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2015, 11:15:55 PM »
Very nice acquisitions all!

And thanks for reminding me just how badly I need a flat file.  If only there were easier to acquire in the backwater country I live in...
Chris

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 12:05:24 AM »
Nice flat file, Mike. Love that it's wood, too, rather than metal (a personal pref).
"Mike's Little World" finally got its own home!!
YAY!
Awesome looking cabinet, for sure.
 cheers

Thanks Jeff! Yep, prefer wood as well. Makes me appear much more sophisticated. :P

Now I am really really REALLY jealous..!!! Best thing I've seen. It looks brand new!

Thanks Rosa! It's in outstanding condition. I don't even know if it was ever used. The drawer interiors aren't scratched or anything. Needs a few screws tightened and a little wipe down for shine, but other than that it's ready to go.  thumbsup.gif
I'm really excited because I can now use the top for flattening the posters before they go in the drawers. There's more than enough room for a quad and even two 24x36 prints side-by-side.

I'm very jealous of that plan chest and the treasures that it will no doubt hold.

Thanks! thumbup
Nice pick-ups, btw! Really like the Sweeney Todd. Hope it's authentic. And if only I could find the Eva Green Dark Shadows poster....

Price tag (roughly)? 

A couple of bills from this hand, a couple of bills from that hand. :)
Just curious, how much would people expect it to be or pay for it?

First rate plan chest Mike, I don't know how I managed without one all those years back..

Thanks Paul! Likewise. The tubes are getting to be too many and the table with all the posters is starting to buckle (well, not really, but they should have protection).

Very nice acquisitions all!

And thanks for reminding me just how badly I need a flat file.  If only there were easier to acquire in the backwater country I live in...

Yeah, trying to find one of the right size is hard enough, but for there to be a scarce supply... I wish you luck!
Witty signature goes here.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2015, 12:18:43 AM »
This might be my craziest month so far, at least in terms of sheer quantity (of brown, brittle, crumbling Mexican paper).

More Espert!

Tentación (1943)

El capitán Malacara (1945)

Dios se lo pague (1948)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »
Very cool stuff, Deke! I really like the color palettes used in what you've posted. thumbup

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2015, 08:36:27 AM »
A couple of bills from this hand, a couple of bills from that hand. :)
Just curious, how much would people expect it to be or pay for it?

I know the metal ones are like $900, crazy expensive.  I had not seen or considered using wood.  Did you get it from a distributor, like an arts store or something?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
Great additions Deke!  You are giving giving me a new found appreciation for Mexican posters!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
I know the metal ones are like $900, crazy expensive.  I had not seen or considered using wood.  Did you get it from a distributor, like an arts store or something?

Craigslist is your friend. Brand new those things are, like you said, crazy expensive. I found mine on craigslist by searching 'flat file'. I'd seen the one I bought a week or so earlier but it was listed at $699. Too much for me, but I kept watching it. Then the seller dropped the price to $399 and I pounced (maybe prematurely, but whatever). From first message to in my garage took less than 8 hrs (and that was because I was very inefficient in the way I went about it). The guys I bought it from are storage locker auction buyers and this was in one of them. They were about 15 miles away and agreed to meet same day, so one inspection and one rental truck later, it was all mine. I didn't do an exhaustive price search online but from what I was seeing, brand new 24x36 sized 3-5 drawer wood cabinets were starting at ~$649 and easily broke the $1k mark. For 10 drawers that are over 40x50 in wood, I'm pretty happy. ;D

I saw lots of metal ones on my craigslist, some of which looked nice, but I prefer the wood. Goes nicer with interior decor, imho. But I think people here have been lucky enough to even find free metal cabinets if you look long and hard enough (for some reason I want to say Rich mentioned that once a while ago).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
Charlie acquired the metal one, and then needed to get rid of some rust.

Wood is far the best way to go for paper.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »
Charlie acquired the metal one, and then needed to get rid of some rust.

Wood is far the best way to go for paper.

Yes indeed!!

And it looks top notch, too!. Less industrial.  clap

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
Why is wood better for paper?  Yes I know paper is essentially wood pulp. 

But is there not a concern about latent acids in the wood fibres or bugs being attracted to the wood?
Chris

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
This should probably also be in the Unicorns thread but today I added an incredibly rare Japanese B0 for a 2001 DVD release of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira to the Film on Paper collection.

Featuring an illustration of Tetsuo by Otomo himself and designed by regular collaborator Toshiaki Uesugi (AKA Mach55Go!) this poster was intended for use only in the largest Tokyo Metro stations and it is thought that less than 100 were printed. Many were stolen from the stations, including this one (it still has the Japanese Rail sticker in the bottom right) and there can only be a few surviving. Uesegi's own site features the below picture of six copies hanging in Shinjuku station in 2001 and the translated text details that Otomo himself kept 5 copies of the poster.

I first saw the poster during a 2014 visit to Japan when I went to an exhibition of posters for Otomo's work and I assumed I'd never get to add it to the collection. A year later one appeared on Yahoo Japan and, with the aid of a Japanese friend, I was lucky enough to win the auction.

This picture featuring Blue, one of my cats, gives you an idea of the size of the poster!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:29:32 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »
Why is wood better for paper?  Yes I know paper is essentially wood pulp.  

But is there not a concern about latent acids in the wood fibres or bugs being attracted to the wood?
I guess it depends on the surrounding environment keeping cool and dry more than the drawers?
How Charlie got rust in his...maybe he was using it when the posters were still a little too wet.  The solution: stainless steel ...might put you back $5K-6K though.
 :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:44:23 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »

Ed I think your walls should run for President.  Damn!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
Haha, I wish that was my wall! It's a picture I took at an exhibition of Katsuhiro Otomo posters in Tokyo in 2014. They had to mop the floor I was drooling so much!  :P
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »
Great images, as per usual, Ed... and a big congrats, too, on your latest pickup.

WOW..nice!!

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
For modern posters lovers, just got my 4 Mad Max wildings.  Bus size.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
This should probably also be in the Unicorns thread but today I added an incredibly rare Japanese B0 for a 2001 DVD release of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira to the Film on Paper collection.

Featuring an illustration of Tetsuo by Otomo himself and designed by regular collaborator Toshiaki Uesugi (AKA Mach55Go!) this poster was intended for use only in the largest Tokyo Metro stations and it is thought that less than 100 were printed. Many were stolen from the stations, including this one (it still has the Japanese Rail sticker in the bottom right) and there can only be a few surviving. Uesegi's own site features the below picture of six copies hanging in Shinjuku station in 2001 and the translated text details that Otomo himself kept 5 copies of the poster.

I first saw the poster during a 2014 visit to Japan when I went to an exhibition of posters for Otomo's work and I assumed I'd never get to add it to the collection. A year later one appeared on Yahoo Japan and, with the aid of a Japanese friend, I was lucky enough to win the auction.

This picture featuring Blue, one of my cats, gives you an idea of the size of the poster!

Oh boy. I wondered how i might have missed that AKIRA but of course just read your post and now i know this is super rare. I have Never seen it before. Beautiful!!! Love Akira. Blows my mind every time i watch it.