Author Topic: Found Collectibles  (Read 45957 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Found Collectibles
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »
Meaning, things that you happened to trip across or find, not so much things being sought out for. Let alone found things on the highways and bi-ways.

A few weeks ago, i was down doing a run along the bike paths and something glinted in the sand, to my right. I initially ran by it, then went back, thinking it was a sliver earring. I picked it up and found it to be a woman's silver (looking) ring and maybe diamonds, set in a channel design. Junk or something else, I didn't know.

I took it to a jeweler this past weekend. Turns out to be made of platinum and set with real diamonds (8 total). A ballpark value, he said, was about $2100.00

Now to find a few posters, once i decide the best way to liquidate it.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Found Collectibles
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:06:30 AM »
Did you consider that it might have considerable sentimental value to the owner and that perhaps you should make some attempt to locate her?

Mark
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:23:42 AM by marklawd »

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:01:47 AM »
My mother who recently has been diagnosed with alzheimer's disease lost her wedding ring. Needless to say that she went to a great deal of distress more so because of her illness. It really broke our hearts seeing her night and day searching for it - so much so that my father bought her a new one pretending it was the lost ring. Luckily our local fishmonger found the ring inside their fish tank (don't ask!) and he really rushed to return it to my mother (she will never know she has two wedding rings now!).

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:25:14 AM »
My mother who recently has been diagnosed with alzheimer's disease lost her wedding ring. Needless to say that she went to a great deal of distress more so because of her illness. It really broke our hearts seeing her night and day searching for it - so much so that my father bought her a new one pretending it was the lost ring. Luckily our local fishmonger found the ring inside their fish tank (don't ask!) and he really rushed to return it to my mother (she will never know she has two wedding rings now!).

Sorry to hear about your mum Rosa. Hoping for the best. Gee, it must be hard for all. Amazing you got the ring back!

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:38:51 AM »
Thanks Steve. It is the hardest thing, but she is still the best, most wonderful mum. And yes, I guess we were lucky, we reported it to the police and spread the word around. It is a very small rural village, everyone knows each other by name (or nickname) so they knew about it and everyone had a look out for it.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:42:08 AM »
Thanks Steve. It is the hardest thing, but she is still the best, most wonderful mum. And yes, I guess we were lucky, we reported it to the police and spread the word around. It is a very small rural village, everyone knows each other by name (or nickname) so they knew about it and everyone had a look out for it.

Nice  thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »
A bitter sweet story there Mirosae.

I found a £50 note lying in the middle of a small road once.  It had been flattened somewhat by passing motorists but it was genuine.  (Which is to say it was accepted by a shop)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »
A bitter sweet story there Mirosae.

I found a £50 note lying in the middle of a small road once.  It had been flattened somewhat by passing motorists but it was genuine.  (Which is to say it was accepted by a shop)

I have a similar story

I remember finding $50 on Christmas day back around 1989 at a remote Australian town called Kalbarri half way up the west coast. I was on holiday during a summer work experience job (while in Uni) in Perth. I was walking the streets despondent on Chrismas Day wishing I had some money to hire a car to explore a nearby interesting sounding national park and at that moment I saw $50 in the grassy verge. Whoohoo! I couldn't believe it. I had traveled to Kalbarri by bus to walk around town, see some views. There was a petrol station open that hired out small Suzuki 4x4's. The money covered the rental for the day plus insurance and petrol. I was so excited. I could barely drive at that stage (it was the first time in a car driving by myself) and almost flipped the 4x4 on the dirt road leading into the National Park (going a bit too fast in excitement). But I got in there, explored a bit (was looking for kangaroos to photograph) and in the mean time found a rock to sit on (below) and there on top I unwrapped my Christmas presents from my family with no one around for miles. Just me and nature and nice thoughts from family. It was an moment and experience to treasure forever.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:55:33 AM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
Did you consider that it might have considerable sentimental value to the owner and that perhaps you should make some attempt to locate her?

Mark

Yes, Mark. Considering where I found it, I went to the main, local Life Guard office/building and police satellite office, also located at Venice beach, and both took pics as well as a detailed description (along with my information, number, etc) so that anyone who might have lost it had to give specifics about it, rather than just saying they had lost a ring.

So the info is out there. I was also told that, with it being a beach/tourist setting, it could have been lost by someone local, or by someone visiting from half way around the world. Time will tell.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:18:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »
Yes, Mark. Considering where I found it, I went to the main, local Life Guard office/building and police satellite office, also located at Venice beach, and both took pics as well as a detailed description (along with my information, number, etc) so that anyone who might have lost it had to give specifics about it, rather than just saying they had lost a ring.

So the info is out there. I was also told that, with it being a beach/tourist setting, it could have been lost by someone local, or by someone visiting from half way around the world. Time will tell.  ;)

Since it is a wedding ring, there is also a possibility of someone throwing it toward the ocean as a statement.  "I'm free of that jerk"
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
Could be that, too, jayn. It looks like a more casual style, not a wedding ring.

And it also could have been dropped/tossed 2 months ago, or 5+ years ago. So it's hard to know for sure.  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »

That's good to hear Erik. As Rosa's sad story demonstrates lost rings can cause great emotional upset.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
For sure, Mark.We all have heard the stories, too, of a "ring lost down the drain" so there can be terrible (dis)stress, indeed, no matter how something like this is lost.

And there are people wandering the beaches with metal detectors every day, (around the globe im assuming). I can guarantee that anything found by those folks most likely end up in the new owner's jewelry box, and not reported.  :-\

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
That sounds like a great time, Steve.  cool1

Good find, Jeff, and very respectable of you to put the info. out there for the person who lost it.  cool1

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:57:08 PM »
Since it is a wedding ring, there is also a possibility of someone throwing it toward the ocean as a statement.  "I'm free of that jerk"

True.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 01:42:58 AM »
That sounds like a great time, Steve.  cool1

Good find, Jeff, and very respectable of you to put the info. out there for the person who lost it.  cool1

It was a good find.. if for nothing more than to see if someone steps forward and makes a claim.

Will see what happens.

:D

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »

Excellent  thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif happy1 Egypt

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »
Update: no word or call yet, from any potential owner, either.

So it remains sitting on my dresser.  :D

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
Update: no word or call yet, from any potential owner, either.

So it remains sitting on my dresser.  :D

Cool.
So, liquidate it and split the take with me.
I'll delete this thread and no one will be the wiser.
That's what friends are for.
 wynk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
 cheers, Ted.

You are worthy... indeed!!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 03:00:35 AM »
I was in Yellowstone National Park awhile back and found $350 just sitting there on the grass. I was 13 or 14 at the time. So to find this was just amazing. We went to the office of the hotel and asked them if anyone reported any money missing and was told no. I hung onto the money until we left. I asked again before we left and no one had reported it. So I left with $350 in my pocket. I felt bad for whoever lost it though. That is a lot of money to some people.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 09:04:30 PM »
I was in Yellowstone National Park awhile back and found $350 just sitting there on the grass. I was 13 or 14 at the time. So to find this was just amazing. We went to the office of the hotel and asked them if anyone reported any money missing and was told no. I hung onto the money until we left. I asked again before we left and no one had reported it. So I left with $350 in my pocket. I felt bad for whoever lost it though. That is a lot of money to some people.

Karma and you reporting it rather than just up and walking away with the loot, rewarded you in the end, Randy. 

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 05:32:44 AM »
Now, if I could find $350 lying on the ground, I'd have just enough to buy a certain someone's Frankenstein's Army quad....
 whistle.gif

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »
Dammit, thats where that $350 went.. what year was that again.

Mirosae

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »
Dammit, thats where that $350 went.. what year was that again.

;D ;D