Author Topic: My WWII Propaganda Poster Collection  (Read 224661 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: My WWII Propaganda Poster Collection
« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Christian, Doing a general Google search for any film production company or distributor with the name of Terbis came up empty for me.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
I emailed my friend, William Gillespie who is one of if not the foremost authority on NS film and posters.

Here was his response regarding the 'Terbis' logo.

I have never seen the TERBIS logo from Argentina before. I am not familiar with it. Tobis would not have licenced films in Peronist Argentina
using any other name than their own, especially as the posters and stills had "Tobis Filmkunst" printed on them.

So it remains a mystery for now unfortunately.

Cheers.

Christian, Doing a general Google search for any film production company or distributor with the name of Terbis came up empty for me.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
I emailed my friend, William Gillespie who is one of if not the foremost authority on NS film and posters.

Here was his response regarding the 'Terbis' logo.

I have never seen the TERBIS logo from Argentina before. I am not familiar with it. Tobis would not have licenced films in Peronist Argentina
using any other name than their own, especially as the posters and stills had "Tobis Filmkunst" printed on them.

So it remains a mystery for now unfortunately.

Cheers.

Thanks for asking and trying to look into it a bit, Christian. Much appreciated, as always.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #278 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
I have just done a deal whereby I am selling the Dutch 'Weersport Kampen' poster that I showed earlier
as a part swap + cash deal for these two rare posters from Belgium.

First is the very hard to find recruitment poster for French speaking Belgians, Walloon's.

SIZE = 124cm x 84cm

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:32:57 PM by erik1925 »

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #279 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:16 PM »
The second is a rather plain looking text poster, although it is also hard to find
and was quite cheap so I had to have it as well...

A recruitment address poster for Belgian (French Speaking) Walloon's joining the Waffen SS.

SIZE = 17cm x 59cm

I should have both of these in hand next week hopefully...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:33:16 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2017, 12:22:19 AM »
I have just done a deal whereby I am selling the Dutch 'Weersport Kampen' poster that I showed earlier
as a part swap + cash deal for these two rare posters from Belgium.

First is the very hard to find recruitment poster for French speaking Belgians, Walloon's.

SIZE = 124cm x 84cm

Love the intense, vibrant and deep colors on this one, Christian.

And is the artist known?

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #281 on: June 10, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
That has to be my favorite poster of yours Christian.  Absolutely stunning that it was printed to begin with, and survived to boot.  Well done, man. faint2.gif

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2017, 05:30:38 AM »
Love the intense, vibrant and deep colors on this one, Christian.

And is the artist known?

Many thanks Jeff...

Unfortunately it is another poster by an artist that I have no information about.

It is signed 'RHN' or it could be an 'M' at the end... I will have to ask a few of my collector
friends from Belgium if they have any information about this artist.

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2017, 05:37:25 AM »
That has to be my favorite poster of yours Christian.  Absolutely stunning that it was printed to begin with, and survived to boot.  Well done, man. faint2.gif

Many thanks Vick..

Yes is has been one on my want list for a number of years now although I had never seen one come up for sale until now.

Another collector I know purchased one in a private deal a few years back although his was in even worse condition although
he has since had it fully restored.

Cheers...  ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Many thanks Jeff...

Unfortunately it is another poster by an artist that I have no information about.

It is signed 'RHN' or it could be an 'M' at the end... I will have to ask a few of my collector
friends from Belgium if they have any information about this artist.

Thanks foer the C/U shot, Christian. Another to solve...  sherlockholmes.gif

But its cool that it's dated.. I'm assuming the "XLIV" below the initials is for 1944?

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2017, 09:53:25 PM »
Thanks foer the C/U shot, Christian. Another to solve...  sherlockholmes.gif

But its cool that it's dated.. I'm assuming the "XLIV" below the initials is for 1944?

I would say that is correct...

The Walloon Legion only transferred from the Army to the SS in mid 1943 and was then called 'SS Volunteer Sturmbrigade Wallonien',
so anything referring the SS Walloon Legion is late war period.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2017, 12:06:48 AM »
Looks like "Rhn" to me, too, Christian. I did some quick looking and have come up empty so far.

One wiki source said the artist was anonymous and attributed it to the German army, so whoever wrote that entry totally missed seeing the date and sig.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2017, 01:52:21 AM »
Looks like "Rhn" to me, too, Christian. I did some quick looking and have come up empty so far.

One wiki source said the artist was anonymous and attributed it to the German army, so whoever wrote that entry totally missed seeing the date and sig.

It is unfortunately the case with a number of posters in my collection that the artist is either unknown and / or has little to no information
available on them. Given the nature of the works they were creating and the fact they were on the losing side I imagine many of them
decided that fading into obscurity after the war or changing their identity may not have been a bad thing.

Having said that, one of the most famous propaganda artist of the war, Ottomar Anton, was able to have a very successful career both before, during
and after the war.

I have asked another colleague of mine if he has any information on this 'RHN' artist, although I am not holding my breath.... eyeroll

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2017, 02:04:17 AM »
Im sure many artists either wanted to fade away or were part of the propaganda machine, just churning these out, as needed and requested of them.

If you or your friend should uncover anything, Christian, please post it. I, for one, would love to know. This kind of history is fascinating to me.

Thanks again.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2017, 02:55:41 AM »
Im sure many artists either wanted to fade away or were part of the propaganda machine, just churning these out, as needed and requested of them.

If you or your friend should uncover anything, Christian, please post it. I, for one, would love to know. This kind of history is fascinating to me.

Thanks again.

I will for sure post any information that I can dig up...

My friend whom I purchased these from is probably the largest collector of Flemish collaboration items
that I know of and his poster collection is also very impressive. Unfortunately he said he did not know
anything about the artist of that poster.

Cheers...  ;)

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #290 on: July 02, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
Quite a few of the posters in my collection I have now had linen back with minimal restoration where required.

Here is the SS Wallonie poster freshly linen backed and with the border only restored.

As you could see from the earlier images that I posted, the border was in very rough shape and the paper
was flaking off far too easily from the first time I removed it from its tube. I immediately sent it off to be linen
backed and have the border restored.

As I have said before, my approach to restoration is a less is more philosophy and I prefer to only have things
restored that are detrimental to a posters long term survival.

The cracks throughout the rest of the artwork I decided to leave as they add to its character and age.

Linen backed before border restoration...

And after border restoration...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:34:13 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #291 on: July 02, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
Looks fantastic, Christian.

Nice job done. clap clap clap

Can I ask who does your backing for you? And im just noticing that small white rectangle in the upper right corner. Any idea why that is there? Maybe to have written some info, back in the day?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:24:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #292 on: July 02, 2017, 11:52:02 PM »
Looks fantastic, Christian.

Nice job done. clap clap clapCan I ask who does your backing for you? And im just noticing that small white rectangle in the upper right corner. Any idea why that is there? Maybe to have written some info, back in the day?

Many thanks Jeff.

The guy I normally have doing my linen-backing is Michael Brewster from Studio M in Sydney.

I think I mentioned to you that he is relocating back to the US later this year, so he is training up some people who are essentially taking over his business here and they will relocate it
to Melbourne, which is great for me as I can then drop posters into them in person rather than sent them via courier to Sydney.

The new girl Hanna whom he is training up to do linen backing is already a proficient restorer from what I have been told and the results look great so far from the several posters
I have recently had done.

The white rectangle to the top right of the poster is actually an original sticker which is common to all of these posters that I have seen.

It is the details of an SS Kriegsberichter (War Correspondant) although being a French language poster it is obviously in French... eyeroll

I have just realised that it is in all likelihood the artist's name, as R. NACHBAUER in theory matches the artist initials on the artwork. 'Rhn'...... The 'H' being his middle initial.

This image below was by the collector whom I purchased it from. When it arrived in the tube, this label was starting to peel off so I made it a matter of sending it off
to be linen backed ASAP..!

There were quite a few SS war correspondents were also war artist's, one of which I have original artworks by in my collection.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:00:11 AM by ChristianM80 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
Lots of great info, and thanks for showing the C/U of that sticker, Christian. I didnt realize there was anything printed on it, in your wider shot.

And it sounds like you've found a solid and trustworthy restorer there, too. And a nice plus is being able to pick up and drop off, rather than being at the possible mercy of the postal service and their handlers.

And it sure makes sense that the name on the sticker is the artist. How great would that be to have the artist definitively ID'd.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
Here is another new addition, won at auction last night on eBay of all places.... eyeroll

99.9% of these types of posters on eBay are usually fakes or fantasy pieces, so for an
original like this one to last a full 7 days on eBay without being reported and removed
is a minor miracle...

SIZE = 61cm x 81cm

Despite what the listing said, this is not a particularly rare poster as I myself have seen at
least 5 or 6 sell in as many years. It is however a highly sought after poster amongst SS
collectors and that therefore drives the price way up.

Thankfully I secured this one for the cheapest I have seen one sell for so that is indeed a
real coup!!!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:34:41 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #295 on: July 03, 2017, 11:39:09 PM »
Amazing and powerful image, Christian. The red dragon is so vibrant and the skull and partial spine really make a statement, too.

Congrats on finding it.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #296 on: July 04, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
Many thanks Jeff...  ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #297 on: July 04, 2017, 12:33:54 PM »
With that kind of imagery, I can see how this kind of poster would be reproduced and sold as a later, knock off print.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #298 on: July 04, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
With that kind of imagery, I can see how this kind of poster would be reproduced and sold as a later, knock off print.

Hi Jeff,

Funny you should mention that as I know of one such knock-off that is for sale on a militaria site right now and
the bidding is already up to 157 euro.

The fakes are usually easy to spot, or at least this one is as it lacks the artists signature to the top left 'Bertrau'
and it also lacks the printers details printed along the bottom.

One of these posters achieved a price over $5000 a few years back at auction, so you can imagine the fakers and
fraudster's eyes lit up with dollar signs by trying to swindle unsuspecting collectors.  nono

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #299 on: July 05, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Funny you should mention that as I know of one such knock-off that is for sale on a militaria site right now and
the bidding is already up to 157 euro.

The fakes are usually easy to spot, or at least this one is as it lacks the artists signature to the top left 'Bertrau'

and it also lacks the printers details printed along the bottom.

One of these posters achieved a price over $5000 a few years back at auction, so you can imagine the fakers and
fraudster's eyes lit up with dollar signs by trying to swindle unsuspecting collectors.  nono

Interesting that they would bother to remove the signature and the printers details, as that changes the poster quite a bit from an original. And anyone wanting an original would see those 2 missing elements and stay clear.

But like anything, the printers of the fakes are hoping to snag and sell to the uninformed.  :-\

-Jeff